“A gem in Chapel Hill.” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 16 Hotels in Chapel Hill
Washington, DC
“A gem in Chapel Hill.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

I dread when my son graduates from UNC-Chapel Hill because I won't have an excuse to stay at the Franklin Hotel nearly as often! It never disappoints: the staff is well-trained and friendly. The building and public areas are well-maintained, pleasant and very inviting. The rooms are fabulous...what more could there be? Oh...a quick walk to some of Chapel Hill's best restaurants: Lantern, Elaines and Crook's Corner. After a lovely dinner, a drink in the hotel bar with Brian, the nicest barkeep in town, you head up to your well-appointed room with the incredibly comfortable bed and fluffy pillows and have a great night sleep. The next morning brings a lovely breakfast (included in room charge) and if the weather is nice, coffee on your own private patio! It just doesn't get any better. Period.

Room Tip: rooms with balcony are the best
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

Fit and finish of the rooms was lovely and more luxurious than I expected. They gave a nod to Carolina blue without being tacky and going overboard.

The lobby bar and restaurant area was warm and beautiful.

The full, hot breakfast made to order was included in my rate. The service, food, and breakfast room were all fantastic.

The gym was newly renovated and had all the necessary basics, but it was very small.

The one area of improvement would be the service. I found the front desk to be a little unprofessional (instead of just clearly telling me they won't do room upgrades on rooms booked through Expedia, he went on this whole diversion about how I could call Expedia and ask for an upgrade, etc. and if I could work something out through them....). The housekeeping was also an issue. One day I was gone all day, and just because I had my do not disturb up in the morning, they never came back to clean the room. I had to ask for them to come in the evening when I left again to clean. When they did come each day, they forgot to give me new washrags, didn't give me new bottled water, etc. They tended to be very loud and disruptive when knocking on neighbors' doors, even when I was already awake. I think people might have already complained about housekeeping bc they kept putting this little sheet of paper under my door if they tried to come when my do not disturb sign was up, as though they were trying to prove they made an effort or something... It was just a little off.

Overall, I would stay here again because it was convenient and nice. I had an Expedia rate, so the value was good too, especially with breakfast included.

• Stayed November 2012
jpmpatel, General Manager at The Franklin Hotel, responded to this review, November 18, 2012
Thank you for your kind feedback about your stay at The Franklin Hotel, especially your notes of improvement on our service.

I am sorry that we misinformed you when you asked about that upgrade. We always like to offer upgrades when we have them available, regardless of how a reservation was booked. It seems that we tried to pass you off to Expedia to work something out, when we should have served you directly as our guest.

That's not very hospitable, and I apologize for that. I will be sharing your feedback with our team so that we can be better prepared and informed to give our guests a more professional and smooth experience going forward.

Regarding housekeeping, I'm sorry that we didn't get your room serviced completely during your stay. And we didn't realize the message that we were sending with the note under the door, so we will continue thinking of ways to communicate differently. We want to meet guests' expectations for service without putting the burden on you to have to call us, and we recognize the room for improvement there.

We would love for you to stay with The Franklin Hotel again. And regardless of how you book in the future (Expedia or otherwise), please call me directly at (919) 442 9000 so I can guarantee your upgrade!

Jay Patel
North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

Just finished another game weekend at the Franklin Hotel. We have been coming here for the last 3 seasons. We started out splitting our weekends between the historic Carolina Inn and the Franklin. But the Franklin won our hearts. Don't get me wrong the Carolina Inn is a tradition and a wonderful hotel. But the Franklin is our favorite because it offers the following:

1- a modern hotel with large rooms beautifully decorated, a spacious living area with sofa and desk, an in-room fridge and separate bath and dressing/make-up table.
2- an elegant dining room with delicious (and free) buffet breakfast.
3- a passionate staff that has not changed in the three years we have been coming here.
4- a fun bar that is there mainly for the guest's enjoyment.
5- a location that is walking distance to the university and the best area restaurants. We park our car and don't get into it again until we leave town.
6- free parking

We feel like family when we visit. There are some downsides. Outside of the complimentary breakfast and a bar menu there is no true restaurant or room service. But isn't it more fun to explore Franklin St and support the local scene?

Thank You Franklin Hotel!

Room Tip: We like the rooms on the back of the hotel for quiet and sun exposure.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Saint Louis, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

I cannot say enough about this hotel and it's employees. Rooms were spotless, staff was helpful and food was tasty. We had fourteen travelers who stayed two nights and met two days in their conference room, Grand Terrace West. Joel, Luke and Mark made this a pleasant and productive visit. Meeting rooms have floor to ceiling windows, breakfast was very good and the bar area was nice with fireplace and patio, depending on weather. Thanks again!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Rome, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

In December 2011, we stayed here for the Christmas holidays, since our newest grandson was less than a year old, and space was at a premium. It was close enough that we could walk to their home in Carrboro. I enjoyed a specialty called a Tartini, which was blue and delicious. The room looked out on Franklin Street where we could see favorite stores and restaurants, as well as the unseasonable--for them--snow! Breakfasts were delicious. Our Vermont family joined us for one, and all of them stopped in, including the baby, to see what a nice room we had. I would certainly recommend it for the value, location, and tasty breakfasts. The indoor parking was a plus!

Room Tip: Usually, the hotels choose the room for the guests, but If on inspection, there is something that do...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Fairfax, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

This was our second visit to the Franklin Hotel and just as delightful as the first! The rooms are wonderful, from the oversize balcony to the soft linens and comfy mattress and pillows. On our last visit we had a sitting area which added a lot of space to the room as well as an oversize bathroom. They did not have that room available but this room, although smaller, was still as lovely. The hotel is in a perfect location to walk to UNC campus, Starbucks, nice shops and several phenomenal restaurants. The shining star is the staff; they are warm, helpful, knowledgeable and will go out of their way to make your stay as pleasant as possible. It is truly a treat to stay here!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

We stayed recently at The Franklin Hotel and had a wonderful stay. The staff was very friendly and helpful, the hotel was in a perfect location for visiting The University of North Carolina, and the rooms were very nice.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

Been to The Franklin Hotel? Share your experiences!