“Not bad, not great” 3 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Mexican
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Not bad, not great”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013 via mobile

The salsa was a bit runny but had a good taste. The chimichanga tasted old like the chicken has been refrigerated for a day or perhaps 2. If the chicken has a fresher taste, the chimi would have been good, but as is, it was below average. The enchiladas were very good. So overall all I would rate this as average

New York City, New York
“Eaten over 100 times @ Monterray! Chapel Hill FAVORITE!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

Yes, it's true. I am not exaggerating when I say I've been there over 100 times. I CRAVE MONTERRAY when I've been away for too long.

It's the best authentic mexican food for SO cheap. Their chips and salsa are divine and their cheese dip takes the cake. Everything from their fajitas, enchilada, and arroz con pollo are AMAZING. Their margaritas are so cheap and they have great specials. The staff are ALWAYS so accommodating and their owner is so nice.

ARE YOU A CAROLINA FAN? Not to mention that I've seen Roy Williams there multiple, multiple times, as well as Butch Davis and countless UNC football and basketball players...Hansbrough, Zeller, you name it. Monterray is a favorite for many, including me!!!

Chapel Hill would not be the same without this neighborhood gem.

• Visited February 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Southern Pines, North Carolina, United States
“If you like authentic, you'll LOVE this place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

Having lived in Arizona for 29 years, I consider myself a Mexican food aficionado. After four years of trying various Mexican food restaurants in North Carolina and being disappointed, I finally found authentic Mexican food in Chapel Hill, North Carolina! My first gage was refried beans, theirs are seasoned perfectly had a creamy texture the way I like them. Next gage, chili relleno. I roast my own pablano chilies and make rellenos very well - my chili relleno casserole recipe appeared in Bon Appetite, 2004. Their chili relleno was made with a roasted pablano pepper also and was as good if not better than my mine. Next was mole sauce - everywhere I've tried this southern Mexico favorite in North Carolina, it has been too sweet - perhaps they added sweetened chocolate, authentic mole sauce uses unsweetened, bitter chocolate. Monterrey's mole sauce had a delicious flavor without being sweet and was a perfect consistency. I don't really like Spanish rice because it is usually bland and gummy, but I tried theirs; it too was very tasty.The restaurant is small and simply decorated with Mexican pottery; there are mirrors in arched "windows" giving it a larger appearance. The service was great and the food is very reasonably priced. I highly recommend this place if you like authentic Mexican food, I will go back.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
New York
“Love this place!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

I love this place! I visit UNC from NYC and always make it a point to go to Monterrey! You cant beat the prices and the food is delicious! $2.25 MARGARITAS!!!! For what we pay in NYC the prices here can not be beat! The staff is freindly and eager to please! My favorite spot in Chapel Hill

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Bellefonte, Pennsylvania
“Good food, excellent service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

I've been here a few times and am quite happy with it. The menu is great and inexpensive, and the service is great. The restaurant gets a bit crowded on weeknights, but that's because of $2.25 margaritas. Get the fajitas or carnitas!

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere