“Very good choice ..” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #7 of 16 Hotels in Chapel Hill
Delray Beach, Florida
“Very good choice ..”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

I travel to Chapel Hill very often for business and stay for a week. This hotel makes me feel at home, it's warm, clean, has a little breakfast cafeteria that offers Starbucks coffee, an indoor pool, The staff is extremely polite and helpful. Rooms are comfortable and even if it's not downtown it's close to everything..

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

I was very pleased with my stay at this Courtyard. The hotel was easy to find considering there were signs directing you to it from the interstate. I was impressed with check-in as all of the amenities were explained and I was shown where I could find them. My room was clean and comfortable. The WiFi was free and fast. The bed slept like a dream. There is no shuttle van at this hotel but the bus does run right beside the hotel. You can take the S line which runs to UNC Medical Center or you can cross the street and take the FCX (express bus) which cuts the ride down by half of the time. You may wonder why I am recommending the bus; it is FREE, the drivers are helpful and knowledgeable about the area, and it is much easier to ride the bus than to find parking.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Brussels, Belgium
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

Carolina Inn was full, so tried here. A very nice hotel a bit out of the city. Interesting lobby and very comfortable rooms.

A few things I didn’t like. Considering the distance to UNC or Franklin Street, I had hoped that the hotel would have a courtesy van for a 5 minute drive. Especially that this a one destination town. No van (and I can live with that), but two employees told me separately that they didn’t have a courtesy van because the bus service into town is so good. Strange to get that answer from two different people. Sounds like a company line. Also, and maybe I am the exception, but I find that people who stay at the Marriott don’t ride the bus. Yes, I could drive to Franklin street, but parking can be challenging and the lighting on Rosemary Street can be a bit dim. Having some of the residents of the men’s shelter nearby idling about doesn’t help. Marriott, if you love your guests, try the courtesy van for a while and see how it goes.

The hotel isn’t sign-posted very well. Just a small sign in some bushes that you don’t see until you are past it. Impossible to anticipate a turn unless you know where it is. And once you turn into the “neighborhood”, there aren’t any signs that say Marriott. Only a few very small signs with the Marriott colors. You can see the building, but without any signs, you can’t be sure it’s the hotel until you are inside.

The front desk was VERY slow. There were two ladies, but one kept wandering away and the other battled with her computer. They were both very nice and dealt with requests, but it took a long time. Also when asking for them to call a taxi, they had to look up the number on the internet and it took 5 minutes for them to finally talk to a taxi company. Also, front desk didn’t know the cost of a taxi to Franklin Street.

Unfortunately, when leaving my bill included breakfast from the previous guest the day of our check in. Although we arrived at the hotel at 17:15, there was a breakfast charge for the same day. It took a while to resolve this and while nothing was actually said, they did look at me as if I was trying to avoid a legitimate charge. Didn’t like the obvious bill error or the suspicious way I was eyed.

There was a large gap under the door that would bring the hallway noise inside, but I had a room at the end of the hallway so I can’t complain.

Now that I know where the hotel is, I would return. Maybe the front desk was a trainee and a one-off. To have a courtesy van instead of needing a car would be a big plus. Nice place with a good price and not far from the action.

Room Tip: Quiet room away from elevator and ice machine
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Indianapolis, Indiana
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013 via mobile

Noisy, paper thin walls. The elevator kept us up all night on 2nd floor. Screaming and hollering guests past 1:30AM on a Thursday night. Resumed again by 6:30AM following morning. The staff has no capacity or interest to ensure the quiet and peaceful enjoyment of the remainder of their guests. This hotel is not the place to get a decent nights rest. We had two rooms. We will be returning to Chapel Hill often and will stay elsewhere. Sleep here (try) at your own risk. Rooms were not ready at check-in time. It was past 4:00PM before we could check in.

Stayed March 2013
Toronto
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

My recent stay at this hotel was for a conference at UNC. I found the hotel to be in a decent location, however you require a vehicle if your business takes you in to downtown Chapel Hill. The hotel is off the main highway into town, and thus is easily accessible if you wish to visit nearby towns. Room was clean and comfortable, but nothing special. Doors are quite thin so anyone walking and talking in the hallway can be heard easily in your room. I was grumpy to find that the cleaning staff accidentally disposed of my tea strainer one morning. Though I understand this was unintentional, the hotel staff was not very helpful in rectifying the matter and offered no compensation. I found the temperature in the room difficult to control, though I have to admit I did not ask staff for assistance with this. Most staff were friendly however the two women working at the meal bar were rather stressed and need a lesson or two in customer service.
Front desk staff overall was friendly, but not overly helpful.
Business centre is small but efficient (only two computers, free printing though)
Pool was closed during our stay. Gym was very small and slightly dreary.
The hotel is slightly above average, and a little more attention to customer service would improve things greatly.

Overall Chapel Hill was quite cute. Not sure there are an abundance of options that would be all that much better though. Not disappointed, but not hugely impressed either.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Long Island
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

My wife and I just returned after a three night stay at this hotel. We must commend Margaret and Lisa of the dining room staff. They served only breakfast, however their courtesy and smiles helped us start the day right. The room was clean but lacked drawer space for a three night stay in the Winter. I'm a Marriott Gold Elite member, however the desk clerk at check-in didn't go out of his way to give us the usual upgrade or greet us as such . The free WIFI was a nice perk and the fitness room was well equipped. The lobby was well appointed and spotless.

Room Tip: Our friends had to change rooms as they experienced a "generator" type noise in the first...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Binghamton, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2013 via mobile

We only had one night at this hotel but would have enjoyed more. From our check in ( upgraded to a beautiful suite) to the service in the restaurant every interaction with the staff was extremely positive. Good location. Very clean and modern. Wonderful hotel.

Stayed February 2013

Been to Courtyard by Marriott Chapel Hill? Share your experiences!