“The Great Decline” 1 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Raleigh, North Carolina
“The Great Decline”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

I have visited Mama Dips at least 5 times in the past few years. To my surprise my dining experience their on July 25, 2013 was shocking and disappointing. First, the proprietor's daughter walked throughout the restaurant mean mugging everyone, Second, the food was bland and cold. Third, why in the world is Mama Dips charging $2.95 for ice tea...ridiculous. The cornbread was the size of a cake square and it was dry. The casserole (spinach) was mushy and the turnips were loaded with sugar. The pork chops were bland with no seasoning. What a great disappointment as I drove from Raleigh to meet colleagues from Charlotte at the restaurant. Stop cutting corners............your product use to be top notch.

• Visited July 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

Hillsborough, North Carolina, United States
“NO! YOU MUST NOT EAT HERE!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

I have never had such a horrible dining experience. Please do not eat here. The food was mediocre at best and the service was awful. The staff are all rude and do not make you feel welcomed. I don't understand the positive reviews.

• Visited July 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Monterey Park, California
“One of the best soul food places”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

I really liked this place. I ordered the fried chicken, and dark meat and white meat are all the same prices. Normally, white meat is charged a little more, but not here. They had delicious cornbread. You have a choice of 2 sides when you order the dinners. The sweet potato or yams were excellent. There were other items on the menu.....I would definitely go back if I had the opportunity. You can also purchase souvenirs, cookbooks, and sauces.

Visited July 2013
MA
“Catfish, Greens and Mac - Authentic Southern Dinner”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

I'm from the north, and don't get a chance to have a home-style country dinner like my mom would have made (she was from the south). So when I found myself in Raleigh, NC I asked around for a good southern style cooking restaurant, and Mamma dip's was the response.

What a treat. I'm on a fish kick, so there on the menu was Catfish fillet with a choice of 2 sides.
The fish was in a cornmeal batter, just like mamma used to make.
The collard greens, were delicious, just like mamma used to make.
The mac and cheese was ok, not just like mamma used to make.
I washed it all down with just plain old cold water.

The help was helpful with that charming southern drawl.

I was satisfied and tummy full. Just like mamma would expect me to be.
Thanks Mamma dips.

I arrived at the place earlier than I expected, so I walked up and down franklin street to get a flavor for the chapel hill college downtown area.

• Visited June 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Henderson, Nevada
“Can't get this in Las Vegas! yummmmmm”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

As many good restaurants as there are at home in Vegas, we couldn't wait to try some real southern home cooking. The Chapel Hill visitors center recommended Mama Dip's and we were totally satisfied. I don't order fried chicken anymore, because no one seems to know how to cook it. This was perfect: so tasty and tender. The veggies tasted like they were picked from a garden that morning. We had a wonderful peach cobbler for dessert. Just right. Thank you Mama Dip and family!

• Visited June 2013