“Disappointing Tea at Carolina Inn” 3 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Carolina Crossroads Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #9 of 251 Restaurants in Chapel Hill
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Romance, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Private Dining
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Columbia Avenue
Description: Carolina Crossroads Restaurant is a rare southern jewel nestled in the historic Carolina Inn. Crossroads joins the graceful traditions of the south with progressive new American cuisine, emphasizing local ingredients from Chapel Hill and the surrounding area. Adorned with a AAA Four Diamond Award, Wine Spectator Award of Excellence and Forbes Four-Star Service Award, this cozy fine dining restaurant and menu is unparalleled.
South Carolina
“Disappointing Tea at Carolina Inn”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2008

My friend and I had tea at the Carolina Inn on Saturday afternoon.
The inn is a beautiful southern building and gardens. Tea was served around the lobby. Wonderful ambience.

HOWEVER, the food was marginal at best. Very small, "smushed" open faced sandwiches. Slivers of cucumber and tomatoes..and tiny smoked salmon bisquit type sandwiches.
Scones were nice and warm but desserts were tiny chocolate
truffles and some strawberries with choc.

Additionally there was a wedding reception going on in the hotel. Wedding participants were back and forth, taking pictures visiting 'in the lobby. So, it was noisy around our table.

Suggest a week day for tea. OR another location if the food is important to you

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“in the carolina inn fine...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2008

in the carolina inn fine old place

Madison, New Jersey
“Quiet Retreat at UNC”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2008

Dined at the Inn Saturday night. It was somewhat smaller than I had expected but the service was exceptionable. This is a quiet well run restaurant with very good food and an excellent wine list. It's somewhat expensive but not outrageous....a 3 course tasting menu is $55.

There were 4 of us dining and everyone thought their appetizer and main course were excellent. The 3 course tasting menu featured kobe beef. This is a very nice place to just relax and enjoy a very fine meal.

Cleveland, Ohio
“High Tea - Good Southern Experience, Needs Better Service”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2008

I went to high tea with my family (4 of us) and my boyfriend on a Saturday. A little about my experience....

First, I had reservations for just my mom, sister, and myself on Friday. My Dad's plane was early so I called to try and have the reservation moved to Saturday. When I called, the girl working informed me that this was not possible and I would be charged because we were less than 24 hours out. I informed her that I was not asked for any credit card information with my reservation, so I wasn't exactly sure how she was going to go about charging me. She then said we can get you in on Saturday for 5 at 4:30. I was a bit annoyed, as any reasonable person would be.

Upon arrival, the experience didn't get much better. I gave the hostess our name and she started to walk us towards the tea room. When we got there she exclaimed, "Are you ALL together?" I informed her that we were, and she said "well your reservation was for three." I explained to her that I had called the day before and changed the reservation to five people. She sighed, sent us to the bar, said she would have the waitress reset the table, and it would take about 5-10 minutes. After 10 minutes passed, my mom decided to go check things out. She went back into the dining room and asked our waitress how the table was coming. The waitress, very annoyed, said that our reservation was for three. (I thought we had already been through this disparity). My Mom had to argue with her for a few minutes just to get her to reset the table. Finally, she agreed and a few minutes later we were sat.

After we were sat, the waitress was kind and attentive, but clearly hungover. She still had the black "X" marks on her hand from the night before and her clothes looked like she just rolled out of bed. Needless to say, we found this to be charming.

The food, however, was the saving grace in this experience. The scones that came with the tea were amazing and I especially enjoyed the chocolate covered strawberries.

So, in conclusion, if you are not from the South and want to experience something truly "Southern" I would suggest trying High Tea at the Carolina Inn, just make sure not to move your reservation!

NC
“One of the best in Chapel Hill”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2008

Carolina Crossroads is one of the best restaurants in Chapel Hill. Upon walking to the restaurant, you are awed by the decor of the Carolina Inn. The ambience is shared with the restaurant as well. The main dining area is nice, but while you wait, hang out in the bar area, nicely furnished with a few leather chairs.

The hostess, waiters, and manager are all very kind and want to ensure that you have an enjoyable time. The food is top notch and always prepared wonderfully. For dinner, the prices can lean towards the expensive side, but lunches are very reasonable. They also have a lunch buffet, which is good, but not as nice as their plated dishes.

I've eaten here for romantic dinners, and the experience impresses. However, I've also eaten here for numerous business lunches. Sometimes when they've been really busy, I've eaten in the bar area instead of the dining area. Though not as nice, it's still worth the while. Easter Brunch, while really expensive, is done very well, and is worth trying at least once.

I don't live in Chapel Hill anymore, but I'll be sure to visit Carolina Crossroads again when I get the chance.