“Triangle Food Tour” 5 of 5 stars

919 425 0760
Website
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Kipos Greek Taverna is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #26 of 232 Restaurants in Chapel Hill
Cuisines: Greek
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Kansas City, Missouri
“Triangle Food Tour”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

Loved the spreads that we tasted, with the delicious breads! Also, the baklava was the best I've ever eaten. Enjoyed the layout of the restaurant and look forward to coming back for dinner and entertainment!

Visited June 2013

“Fun, delicious, new”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

Our group of four friends had a wonderful time on our first visit to Kipos, despite some problems with service that I'm sure are attributable to it being a relatively new (and very busy) place. Be aware that the atmosphere inside is extremely loud--the live music is great, and there was a very festive feel to things, but it was hard for us to hear each other. I'm not sure what it would have been like outside. The decor is great; lots of fun things to look at as you await your meal.

Our server was very friendly and fun, but somewhere between him and the kitchen, something went awry--one person was brought the wrong dish, then when the correct one was brought out, it was missing one of the vegetables that was supposed to be included. An item from another person's order was forgotten entirely. But it was worth the wait and confusion--everything was truly delicious, from my husband's roasted vegetable entree to the elusive lamb. I had the moussaka and enjoyed it very much--the portions are quite large. We also ordered dessert; I don't like baklava, but everyone else had a bite and said it was wonderful.

We will definitely return; we'll probably sit outside next time if possible. Do make a reservation if you're going on a weekend; it was very busy even though it's summer and the students are mostly out of town. Once things shake out, I can imagine this becoming one of my favorite restaurants!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“Outstanding service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

I've been to Kipos three times now and each time the food is terrific and the service stellar. First of all, the interior is gorgeous, lots of white walls, ceiling and counters, nautical themed light fixtures with thick ropes. Music Thursday through Saturday nights and a belly dancer after 8:30 on Friday and Saturday. Menu has Greek names, so be prepared to ask for help with pronunciation. The salad with cucumbers, tomatoes, peppers, onions and feta is delicious, as is the seafood stew. I left my sunglasses on the table last time we went and Marco, the host, brought them to me at the wellness center where I work and he works out!

• Visited May 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“Better than Chicago”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

Having been virtually raised in Chicago's old Greek Town, I nearly have the food in my DNA. Our dinner at Kipos was exceptional and was as good or better than any meal that I ever had back home. The four meze platter was delicious, though too much food for two people. The skordalia was the only downer. Way too much raw garlic that nearly overpowered everything else. Warm, buttery pita wedges kept coming. Our entrees - lamb off the rotisserie with lemony potatoes and boneless short rib with deeply flavored orzo - were stellar. The traditional salad of tomatoes, green pepper, cucumber, olives and feta was perfectly seasoned. The small size is plenty for two to share. We enjoyed one of the Santorini white wines. Very crisp and refreshing. We passed on the desserts, but they looked great. Yes, it is noisy as can be, though if you can grab one of the two tables on the far side of the bar, you will be able to hear your dining companion and be a bit cooler. If the weather cooperates, consider sitting at one of the many outdoor tables facing Franklin Street. In the summer, you will need to wait until 8:00PM or a bit later as there is no shade. The service was fantastic. What our server might have lacked in authoritative knowledge, especially in the wine department, was more than made up for in personality and attentiveness. Mr. Bakatsias, we are so glad to have you back in Chapel Hill.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Apex, North Carolina
“Taken at bakery counter”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2013

We didn't have good experience at Kipos. We stopped at their bakery after dinner and asked about a take out order of their lemon chicken, "It's a whole chicken with potatoes" the young man said. 'It's $12.00, no it's $15.00, no 16.95 with tax", So we order the chicken, he puts it in a bag and hands it to my husband who says " it's a whole chicken right?" This young man with a straight face says "of course." So w take it home- open the bag and realize we paid over $16.00 for a half rotisserie chicken. He should have been honest - but then we never would have bought it.

• 3 of 5 stars Food