“Cancellation policies are misleading” 1 of 5 stars

Save 10-30%
Ranked #7 of 16 Hotels in Chapel Hill
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Houston, United States
“Cancellation policies are misleading”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2013

I booked my reservation through the Holiday Inn Express website. My plans were not firm so I purposely did not select the pre-paid room option which cost less. When I made my reservation, I was very pleased that the website said "We understand that sometimes your travel plans change. We do not charge a change or cancel fee." Ultimately I had to cancel my reservation five days ahead of the stay (within the cancellation timeframe). I was shocked to find that I am still being charged for a night's stay because this Chapel Hill location has policy of charging for any cancellation after the reservation is made. This was stated in fine print on the reservations web site but it was not obvious and I am certain I am not the first person not to catch this restriction. This is not reasonable and is very misleading. So far the main Holiday Inn Express has responded by saying they appreciate my business and look forward to working with me in the future. I would urge anyone considering this hotel to be very cautious about making online reservations because their policies are not the industry norm and are unclear and misleading.

Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Chapel Hill, responded to this review, November 27, 2013
Dear Elizabeth T,

Firstly let me offer my sincere apologies for not living up to your expectations and for not creating a memorable stay for you. We give the utmost importance to our guest comments as they help us improve, and continually provide the best guest experience possible. I do hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to our hotel in the near future, and hopefully on such occasion we can start to rebuild your trust in our hotel.

Connie D
Case Manager
IHGCare

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Fayetteville, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

Room was excellent and clean. The Clerk was professional both at check-in and check-out. Breakfast really good and fresh. Really good selection of food. Coffee great. Maid service excellent.The hotel was easy to find and in a good location. It was located were we needed i,.t close to the Medical Building. Thanks for the late check-out for my wife had to have procedure done with an appointment time of 3:30 pm.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Tim S, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Chapel Hill, responded to this review, December 5, 2013
Thank you for your feedback. It makes us happy to hear that your stay with us was wonderful. We are glad you enjoyed every bit and that is exactly what we strive to do.
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

Very nice hotel, close to I-40 rather than Franklin Street but quite convenient thanks to Highway 54.
But...there is NO sign for the Holiday Inn Express on Farrington Road, so unless you know it is there, you will drive right past. There IS a sign for the Hampton Inn, which is a few hundred yards further down that same turnoff...but NONE for the HI Express.

Other than that, a great place to stay.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
midway, ga
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

Our stay was not for pleasure, but for medical reasons. Vincent, the Holiday Inn Express rep with central reservations who booked my reservation was extremely helpful in obtaining a medical rate for our required two day stay. The front desk staff, (Jed, and Clifton), was very friendly and helpful. Although the room was very clean, we always prefer to do our own sanitizing due to medical requirements and the staff was nice enough to furnish us with towels and such upon our request. The breakfast was the usual Holiday Inn fare, and was well stocked, although the breakfast room seemed a bit smaller than some we've visited (eat early to avoid crowd). Everyone seemed willing to go out of there way to make us feel welcome. Parking was adequate, although a little tight when circling to go under the registration entrance. The hotel is hard to spot since there is no Holiday Inn Express entrance sign. (Use the Hampton Inn entrance sign and take first left). There was one small inconvenience (the room key had to be re-keyed prior to check out time), but overall, we were pleased with our stay and will use it again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Alvin S, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Chapel Hill, responded to this review, August 17, 2013
Thank you so much for your review. Please accept our positive thoughts towards the improvement of your medical situation. We pride ourselves on giving great service and a great product to all of our guests. We hope to see you again on a leisure visit to our property!
Wilmington, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

Again and again....the staff is excellent,...so friendly, yet professional...always greets me by name and wants to make sure I am comfortable.....the cookies that bake in the afternoons makes me feel like a home away from home...can not say enough good about MY HOLIDAY INN EXPRESS, and Orlando Faison, the Manager is wonderful!!

Room Tip: I prefer the rooms away from the highway...but really there is little to no noise that comes through...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Alvin S, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Chapel Hill, responded to this review, August 3, 2013
Thank you so much for your great review from all of the staff. We want all of our guests to have a wonderful stay and we are so happy when we accomplish our goals! I hope to see you again soon and thank you for being a loyal guest.
Hershey, PA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

We stayed here as part of a travel with family for visit to colleges and to visit family . Hotel is clean but nothing special. Breakfast was average, pool was attached to the Hampton inn next door. There are no restaurants within walking distance. Overall average

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Thank you so much for your review. We take all feedback to heart and will work on improvements for all of our guests. We want your stay to be above average. Please contact me to let me know what else we could have done to enhance your stay.
Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013

To be fair, let me start out by saying that I stayed at this motel from July 4 - 7 during a very busy holiday. This is not my first time at this hotel. I usually stay here twice a year (alternating between this one and the one next to it) and have never had a bad experience. Up until this most recent visit, I liked this motel due to their great morning breakfast. There was ONE, very young girl working breakfast over this holiday. The morning of the 5th, I went down at 6:30 for breakfast and everything was great. On the 6th, my family and I went down at 8:00 for breakfast. There was coffee and ONE bagel left (seriously, nothing else). I ate the bagel. Not sure what the 20 people behind me did. All tables were filled and we went up to our room for me to drink my coffee and eat my bagel. We got breakfast elsewhere. On the 7th, my family went down at 8:30. There was NO coffee. The girl brought out "hot food" and it went to the people who were sitting at the tables already waiting. I went to the pancake machine and it spit out one pancake and was out of batter. I told the girl and she worked on the pancake machine for 25 minutes while there were NO muffins, hot food, coffee, etc. Everyone was complaining and leaving to eat elsewhere. Very bad start to two days! There needed to be at least two more people working breakfast. There are only 15 chairs for people to sit and eat breakfast.
Also, just for those reading this, do not be deceived by the website stating "pool". Notice it says "pool available". There IS NOT a pool at this motel. However, there is a motel next to it that has a pool. This motel has some sort of deal with the other motel that allows its guests to use that pool. It is a very short walk to the pool next door. IN addition, I had a "coupon" this time for this motel. It stated that it could not be used during holidays. I thought that meant that the rate for the actual holiday, the 4th, would cost more. I thought that I would be able to use it for the rest of the week. The girl at the desk informed me that "holiday" meant from the 4th through the rest of the week. Therefore none of my days were discounted which was a disappointment. This motel is very clean, safe, and in a quiet location. One exit on Hwy. 40 in each direction takes you to LOTS of eating places and shopping. Nice computer area with printer.

Room Tip: Took off of service due to breakfast.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Alvin S, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Chapel Hill, responded to this review, July 23, 2013
Thank you so much for your review. Thank you for alerting us to the issue regarding the breakfast and please know that this is not acceptable. We have since made some changes in the procedures and this will not happen again. We hope you will come back and give us another try to make your stay wonderful!

Been to Holiday Inn Express Chapel Hill? Share your experiences!