“A great night sleep at a reasonable rate” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save 10-30%
Ranked #6 of 16 Hotels in Chapel Hill
Greenville, SC
“A great night sleep at a reasonable rate”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2013

I booked this because I was traveling on business, but stopping in Chapel Hill to visit with some old friends. The hotel is within walking distance to a strip mall that has a few restaurants, including a Thai restaurant.

This hotel sits next to a Hampton Inn but the Holiday Inn was $40/night less. Check in was easy and at the time the desk person informed that there is a manager reception in the Hampton Inn I was welcome to join if I wanted - both are owned by the same corporation so there is reciprocity.

The room was comfortable with flat screen TV and nice work area. The bed was comfortable. The free hot breakfast was fine as they go.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Alvin S, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Chapel Hill, responded to this review, May 26, 2013
Thank you so much for your review! We are glad you enjoyed the breakfast and our newly upgraded HD TV's! It is great to be able to share amenities with our sister property next door as well. Please do not hesitate to come back and visit with us again!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Plymouth, MA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2013 via mobile

We booked this hotel at the last minute through AAA and didn't expect much. But it was a very nice, very clean and well appointed room with very comfortable beds. The bathroom was well thought out with plenty of counter space for all our toiletries. The free breakfast was good and the staff were quite pleasant. If we go back to Chapel Hill, we would be happy to stay at this hotel again.

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for your review! We are glad you enjoyed the breakfast and the layout of our bathroom area. We realize that you have a choice when coming to our area and we thank you for choosing us!
Atlanta, Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

I stayed here for one night during a quick business trip. From time to check-in to check-out, we were there for approximately 9 hours. My colleagues and I were in the area for two days. We departed early in the AM, arrived in Raleigh-Durham and traveled throughout the region all day. When we arrived at the hotel, we were travel weary and ready to hit the sack. We all had reservations that we made days before. There were three of us on the trip and two of us checked in very quickly...then, came the third. No more rooms. After 30 mins, they found our co-worker a room. Some guy who had yet to show up yet. They gave her his room. Whew! I think he came in to check out right after that, but we were not looking back! We were more than ready to collapse at that point. The rooms were clean and decent, the beds were adequate. Nothing to write home about. After squeezing in a couple of hour's of rest, we were up and off again. The check out process was relatively smooth. Overall, good enough. I didn't notice a lot of restaurants or other amenities nearby. So, I wouldn't recommend it for a long-term stay. But, if you want a decent place to stay on a quick business trip, then it's good enough.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Alvin S, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Chapel Hill, responded to this review, April 9, 2013
Thank you so much for your review. Please accept our sincere apologies for the glitches you encountered. We will definitely use this as a learning experience for our staff members. We hope to see you again at our hotel so that we can WOW you with our improved service!
New Haven, Connecticut
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

I've stayed here twice for business, and, if returning to the area I would stay here again. The times I have stayed here I really have had no issue. Beds are comfortable, staff is extremely friendly, rooms are nice, breakfast is - eh, and for the price of the rooms I would say it is worth it.

During the previous stay at this hotel I did have a room across from the elevator which was also adjacent to the elevators machine room. I didnt have a problem with the noise of traffic from people using the elevator or from it running, but if you are a light sleeper that could be an issue. I was also warned by the staff before they gave me the room so I knew what I was getting into. And the noise really wasn't that bad - but just something to be aware of.

I cant really speak of how great the location is because I didnt get to venture out too far. But it does seem like you'd have to have a car if you want to go anywhere to do fun things. Within walking distance there is a plaza with some pretty good restaurants which you will need to go to since there is no restaurant at the hotel. Also, there is a great comic book shop in that plaza if you need to get you fix of all things awesome.

Overall, I would say its a decent hotel.

Room Tip: If a light sleeper, ask for a room which does not face the elevator nor is adjacent to the elevators...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Alvin S, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Chapel Hill, responded to this review, March 18, 2013
Thank you so much for your review. We appreciate all of our guests and we are happy that we were able to meet your expectations. We hope to see you for a third time!
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

Have stayed her before, so decided to stay again. Check in was pain-free, and all the staff members were polite and professional. The room was clean and the bed was GREAT. The bathroom was TINY - and starting to show its age. The breakfast area was clean, but again a bit small for the number of people staying there. A problem I have noted with other H I express hotels-- there is only one toaster in the breakfast area, and it is SLOW! So there was a small line of people waiting to make toast... perhaps purchase a second toaster???!!

The second night of our stay, the heater/AC unit decided to really GROWL whenever it recycled. Since it was late at night, it was not practical to ask to change rooms. We mentioned this to the staff member at the front desk the next morning, and without hesitation gave us partial credit for the second night. Very professional! (THUS the POOR rating on sleep quality)
Finally, this hotel is NOT easy to find. There is a sign for another hotel, and the Holiday Inn Express is next to this other hotel. Since we have stayed here before, we knew exactly where to go. But--- again, LOOK CAREFULLY!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Thank you so much for your review! I thank you for your candid review and the suggestions that you have made. We will take all of your comments into consideration for improving on our guest satisfaction. We appreciate all of our guests and we hope to see you again in the future.
Cheraw, SC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

This is one of my favorite Chapel Hill area hotels in the affordable price range. I think this was my first time staying here in the winter with the lobby fire going, and it was wonderful!!!! The room was comfortable, as always, relatively quiet (2nd floor this time - 4th floor is quieter if you can get it). We got a handicapped room, and they were super about getting a shower seat to put in the shower for my husband. REALLY nice not to have to carry ours with us!

I DO wish they had easier access to outlets from the bed. I travel with a CPAP machine, and the outlets were behind the middle of the bed - not easy to reach! If they just put in lamps with outlets that would help...

The bathroom is spacious, although I could use more counter space (always lol!).

Nice sized frig in the room too. WiFi is fast.

Room Tip: The fourth floor is quieter.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Thank you so much for your review. Thank you for staying with us when you travel to our area. We strive to make our guests feel like they are at a home away from home. We are honored to be one of your favorites! We shall also take a look at the comments you gave in order to improve on our guest satisfaction. Thank you again!
Wake Forest, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013

Seems on the newer side of the construction line, so not too bad there, pretty clean place. Front desk service was, ehh, average. Typical floor unit by the window did an okay job I suppose, not sure if was me or what but a few times kept having to switch from cold to hot and vice versa so that was a bit aggrevating. Wife said bed was uncomfortable, and while I agree it was certainly no high class bed, I'd give it an "ehh, it's a place to sleep for the night" grade.

Breakfast was, ehh, free. I did like that they serve those half-moon little spanish omelletes, pretty good, and the sausage patties were pretty tasty; no potatoes. Typical hard biscuits and unhealthy sausage gravy, some warmed cinnamon buns, a few muffins, some day old bread, bagels (I think), some cereal, and bananas.

Can't say I wouldn't be back, but I'd certainly look around to see if I could find a place to up my rating to 4 or 5 at a comparable price first.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Chapel Hill, responded to this review, August 3, 2013
Dear jboynsteph,

Thank you for your feedback. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We appreciate your nice comment regarding breakfast.

However, We’re sorry for being average in regards to your expectation. We take all reviews positive and negative very seriously, and your feedback will help us improve for our next guest or your next visit.

Orlando A.