“Go elsewhere - poor service, worse attitude” 1 of 5 stars

Breakfast for 2 Included
Ranked #9 of 16 Hotels in Chapel Hill
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Virginia
“Go elsewhere - poor service, worse attitude”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2010

The hotel took what should have been a minor issue with the internet service into a major issue that has convinced me never to return. It culminated with a failure of the manager to bother to call me back, which was apparently attributable to another lower level manager deciding not to pass on my message and phone number. Problem is, that when I called 9 hours after checking out and asked that guy when he gave the message to the manager, he thought for a minute, and told me "noon." He lied to my face, and his boss just didn't seem to care.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
tmilby, Manager at Sheraton Chapel Hill Hotel, responded to this review, July 14, 2010
We are currently upgrading our internet service to a much faster and more dependable service. I am sure that you will be pleased with the improvements.
We recognize the importance of every guest and we want to make you happy. Please do not hesitate to contact us if there is anything else we can do. We would like another opportunity to serve you in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
Ottawa, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2010

I stayed here 2 nights back in April for a conference that was at the hotel.

The location is good in that it's just off of the main highway and well located for travelling to the different parts of the RTP area. It's not as good, in that it's not within walking distance of much - but not much is in the United States. It's a 10 minute drive to downtown Chapel Hill, which has several good restaurants.

Checkin was a bit slow but very friendly, and though I never saw the cleaning staff, the room was always kept in good shape. The rooms aren't large, but nicely decorated, clean, fairly new looking with very comfortable beds, flat screen TV (didn't watch it though). Free wireless internet was very handy - it worked well even if the speed was only slightly better than dial up. Starbucks coffee in room is a nice touch. My room was on the first floor, so it had a patio door that opened up to the pool area - though this was closed in April. The bathroom also looked fairly new .

I'd recommend this place with one caveat - as for a room away from the elevators. My room was near the elevators, and there would be some fairly loud, drunk guests returning at night which woke me up a few times. Without these, I could have stayed here comfortably for several nights.

As for our conference, we were well taken care of - modern facilities, quality drinks, snacks and a nice group lunch. I'd gladly attend another conference here.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to review the Sheraton Chapel Hill. We just finished a multimillion dollar renovation in 2009. The items that you noted as being new are less than a year old. In fact, I can't think of anything in the hotel that is not new.
We are in the process of upgrading our internet service. I am confident that you will experience much faster internet speeds for your next visit.
Our houskeeping staff and front desk staff take pride in their service, and your comments are very encouraging to them. We greatly appreciate your feedback
Salt Lake City, Utah
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2010

I was in Chapel Hill for a two night stay this past March. Initially, the room seemed fine, but when I went to turn on the TV I could only get reception on about a dozen channels. I was only intersted in watching the NCAA b'ball tournament. After running through the channels trying to identify them (there was no listing of channels on the room directory), I asked the front desk for some help. I was told the room, along with many others at the hotel, did not get CBS along with many other channels, and that no rooms were available.
After asking to speak to the manager and being put on hold for nearly 10 min. I decided to speak to someone face-to-face.
The manager eventually came out and was very kind. After agreeing with me, that asking for a major network was not an unreasonable demand, he was eventually able to find a new room for me.
(The irony of being in Chapel Hill, North Carolina and having to plead my case to watch college basketball was grossly apparent.)
After repacking and moving my belongings into my new room. I turned on the T.V., found CBS and discovered that the huge streaks of static bands pulsating across the screen with reverberating audio was probably gling to be the best I could do, because; it was obviously the best they could do. I wil recommend this hotel only because I believe the manager did respond to my request and the staff truly believed they were correcting the problem.
I figured that I was tired and needed the extra sleep anyway...

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
Asbury Park, New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2010

My husband and I stayed here while visiting some family in the area. We got a really good rate so that makes my review good--it was like $105 a night. We were able to get some good sleep, minus people's doors slamming, and the room was nice, minus our bathroom door not being able to close. The staff for the most part was friendly, except when we arrived at 10:30 at night and were looking to get some food they weren't helpful at all. We asked if we could use their internet to search for something nearby and the staff member just kept repeating that they didn't know of anything. We ended up finding a local bar/grill really close. I think that was just a weird experience though because everyone else was really nice.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2010

A great spot for work. Quiet and peaceful, with excellent facilities for a price that's affordable.
My second-floor room was immaculate, and had everything necessary for a convention/business traveler. The extra-long desk/dresser is a terrific feature if you've got lots of paperwork to spread out. Nice little balcony (a sliding glass door is always a good feature if you appreciate fresh air), free wi-fi, a perfectly good little business center in the lobby with three work stations and a couple of printers.
Cheerful staff, excellent housekeeping, and minimal nickle-and-diming. (The $3.50 bottled water in the room was the only exception, and that was easily enough ignored).
The Shula's steakhouse looks overpriced for dinner, but a $10 burger was quite good.
Flat-screen TV, coffeemaker with Starbuck's, efficient climate control, small but nicely appointed bathroom, excellent bed, pleasant furnishings and tasteful decor.
Only downsides: The gym is small, there's no hot tub, the only pool is outdoors (and closed in cold weather), and the location is a bit out of the way & surprisingly inconvenient from the main road. But these are minor quibbles - overall, this is a solid hotel.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2010

We were in Chapel Hill during the snow and temps below 20. The heat didn't work in our room when we get there at 5pm. The service staff ignored us. Only after I called for the fourth time did they send someone to our room - the security guard. He said "give it a little time." We had already "given it" six hours. He said he'd get back to us and didn't. I called again 30 minutes later and demanded another room which they finally gave us at 12:00am. We chose Sheriton to splurge on a special weekends. What a b ig mistake. What arrogant staff!

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with family
NYC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2009

We spent one night at the Sheraton in Chapel Hill, NC. We arrived without reservations and since we checked in late (10pm), we received a discounted price for the room. The room was very pretty, spotless, with one of the most comfortable beds I have ever slept in! Overall, a great value and a hotel I would definitely return to.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Sheraton Chapel Hill Hotel? Share your experiences!