“Very Solid 3 out of 5” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #9 of 16 Hotels in Chapel Hill
Atlanta, Georgia
“Very Solid 3 out of 5”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2012

If you consider it a 3 out of 5 it will exceed your expectations. Rating it a 4 Star could cause you dissapointment.

Positives:
-Recent remodel
-Microvave and Refrigerator in my room
-Club with fruit all day, basic hot breakfast and good coffee machine
-New heavenly bed
-Friendly Staff

Negatives:
-Despite the remodel, it is an old hotel
-Restaurant has a very limited selection, if you are not a steak person then you wont like it
-Incredibly despite the remodel of the workout facilty there is no water to drink in there or anywhere in the lobby! There were also no towels when I went and everybody excersizing was sweating profusely with nothing to wipe with
-Noisy A/C
-Small rooms (which is the case at most Sheratons).

Overall it was a pleasent mostly trouble free stay, but the hotel is definitively average in comparson to other hotels in the category.

Room Tip: If you need water during your workout bring some with you, as well as a towel from your room
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
StevenCory, Front Office Manager at Sheraton Chapel Hill Hotel, responded to this review, April 13, 2012
Thank you for your review of our property. It means a lot to our staff that our efforts to connect with our guests are paying off. We are so glad to hear you found the room and Sheraton Sweet Sleeper Bed to your satisfaction. We are very proud to have the only Shula's 347 in North Carolina. We recently rolled out a brand new menu with several new appetizers and main courses in addition to our Famous Shula's Cuts. Our aim is to have a dish that is to everyone's liking.
Our Sheraton Fitness Center Programmed by Core Performance is an outstanding addition to our property. Each of our machines has a personalized T.V. and there are a plentitude of free weights and other equipment. Our staff works diligently to ensure it stays stocked with fresh towels and water.
Please contact me should you wish to further discuss anything and we hope for the chance to provide you with the stellar service we are known for in the future.

Steven Cory

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
Raleigh,NC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2012

This was a last minute "4-star" Hotwire purchase. If I were this Sheraton, I would want Hotwire to lower expectations to a more reasonable 3 or 3.5 for this property. Isn't it better to have expectations exceeded, rather than not even met? Having stayed in many 4-star hotels over the years, it is easy to expect a lot of a 4-star experience.

Honestly, I wasn't sure how this older hotel that I don't believe was ever considered 4-stars even when it was The Hotel Europa could realistically be labeled 4-stars, but was sure ready to give it the benefit of the doubt, and looking forward to our one night escape!

First thing we were met with was signs in the parking lot that they weren't responsible for what happened to our cars. Okay, that's nice and friendly...realistic, but didn't know if we should be concerned? Parked anyway, which is at least free, and went in to a very friendly check-in.

First impressions were very good. Lobby looked modern and with the friendly check-in we felt most welcome, which is how the staff continued to treat us. This is a staff that CARES. Seriously, they are giving it their all, and it was much appreciated by us! Was asked if we were Starwood members, and I said yes. He was kind enough to look me up, saw that my membership had expired and renewed it for me. Nice! (although not sure what it means)

We were assigned a room on the first floor. Haven't stayed on the first floor in any hotel recently, but with the friendly start that included notification of special "Earth Hour" happenings that night, we were pumped about our stay at this caring place.

I practically skipped to our room, and didn't even notice at first the signs in the hall, but as soon as we dropped off our luggage in our small, but clean-looking, ok room, with a small patio that overlooked 15-501 (I commented to Husband that I wouldn't be happy to have a first-floor room if I were a female traveling alone, but since I wasn't and the locks on the sliding-glass door looked efficient, it felt okay), we headed back out to the lobby.

That's when I saw the sign on the room next to ours that I admit, made me instantly feel like some kind of second-rate person. The sign said "Starwood Preferred Guestroom", which brought up all kinds of questions in my instantly insulted brain. What did that mean that we weren't preferred? What did the preferred folks get that we didn't? Why not put the preferred people on a different floor so the rest of us didn't know we weren't preferred? Or why not put their special sign IN their room, so the rest of us didn't know that we were lower-class?

If this is a new Sheraton trend, I haven't seen it before now, and hope that I don't run into it again. Making people feel special at the expense of others is, well, not cool. Especially considering that whoever the "preferred" guest was in the room next to ours ruined most of our night and made sure it was pretty sleepless due to her loud yelling, door slamming and shouting....the latest being at 2:36 a.m. which didn't stop until she must have finally passed out after 3am. "Preferred" meant "disturbed" to us neighbors.

That being said, there are some real pros to this hotel. FREE internet. Very rare, especially in 4-stars. FREE shuttle within 5 miles and to Franklin Street. And instant, I might add. We went to the front desk to inquire and were told, okay let's go. When we wanted to return, we called, told where we were, and within 15 minutes, were picked up with a smile. Truly awesome shuttle service, so I hate to nitpick, but I would recommend that the shuttle van get a good cleaning. It smelled like many sweaty sports teams might have ridden it it. (sorry, but it was a pretty strong sweat smell that made athletes come to mind).

Another PRO about the service here. After our very lengthy Shula's experience, Husband wanted Tums. We found them at the front desk, and when we mentioned we wanted to break a bill for the drink machines, again the service was wonderful that we were given coins and warned that bills didn't work in the machines. We have certainly been in hotels in the past, where they could have cared less whether drink machines worked or not. Again, every one of the staff members we came in contact with here were top-notch caring.

That being said, this is not, imho a 4-star hotel. It's a great 3-star. It's an okay 3.5 star. The bed was pretty comfy. The bathroom had an old tub, the sink plumbing leaked, and the bathroom products were the usual 3-star "Shine" lotion, shampoo, conditioner and bar of soap. Paint on doors & stuff worn. Again, perfectly fine for 3-star. And everything was clean, which is way more important than paint.

Am adding photos, so you can see for yourself. Do know that if you stay here, you won't find a more friendly staff. Talented too...the band that performed for Earth hour was very talented!

Room Tip: Apparently being "preferred" is best
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
tmilby, Manager at Sheraton Chapel Hill Hotel, responded to this review, April 6, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to post a review of our hotel. We take a great deal of pride in our friendly staff. We consistently rank as one of the top Sheratons in the world for guest satisfaction and loyalty.
Many guests have given us positive feedback on our Earth Hour event. It was a great success. One of the members of the band that performed for Earth Hour is on our staff, and we hope to have them perform for future events. We are planning similar Shula’s events for Friday evenings on the terrace.
I am interested in discussing your concerns further, if you like. We have purchased a new shuttle that will be delivered next month. The shuttle typically requires advance scheduling, but we are always willing to offer the shuttle “on demand” if it is available.
I take guest feedback very seriously, and welcome your comments as an opportunity to make our hotel even better. Please feel free to ask for me if I can be of assistance with your future needs.
Ted Milby
Director of Rooms
Cincinnati
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2012

This hotel has a fairly vast lobby and seating areas with a business center that features several computers. The night I was there, a large wedding reception was taking place, but the hotel did not feel crowded or noisy. The rooms are pretty and have all the amenities you'd expect. One has to pay for the breakfast which was not anything special, similar to ones which are usually complimentary. There is a very well stocked exercise room, with more equipment and weights than many chain hotels usually provide. This hotel is just off Franklin Street, but too far to walk to the UNC campus. It is situated just off the main road to Durham if you are going to visit Duke, about 15 minutes away.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
StevenCory, Front Office Manager at Sheraton Chapel Hill Hotel, responded to this review, April 1, 2012
We thank you greatly for such positive feedback. It means a great deal to our staff to know that our guests are receiving the high caliber of service and experience we strive to deliver. We happily offer complimentary shuttle service within a 5 mile radius of the hotel, which includes all of downtown Chapel Hill, UNC campus and various different shops and restaurants. We deeply understand that to connect with our guests and provide the highest level of service is of utmost importance. To us, business is personal. We anticipate your next stay, and the opportunity to further accommodate you.

Best,
nj
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2012

This was rated fairly highly so we decided to save some $ and use our points to stay here. At best it's tired and in need of a renovation. We were on the club floor and the attendant started to put away the coffee at 8:55am. The rooms are so so, again in need of some sprucing up. For a business traveler, I suppose it's not as noticeable.
Our room faced a dirty pool and the highway but there wasn't any noise. The front desk staff were pleasant. We were in town visiting colleges and would most likely not stay here again.

Room Tip: Any room on a high floor facing away from highway.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
StevenCory, Front Office Manager at Sheraton Chapel Hill Hotel, responded to this review, March 21, 2012
Thank you for your feedback. Our goal is that every guest feel a part of our warm, connected community. Our property was completely renovated and finished in 2009, including all of our guest rooms. We proudly serve Starbucks coffee in the lobby from 7 am - 11 am seven days a week, in the Sheraton Club Lounge from 6:30 am - 9 am on weekdays and 7 am - 10 am on weekends as posted at the entrance to the lounge, and it is always available in our guest rooms. We take great pride in connecting with our guests and treating every guest as a V.I.P. and we are very pleased to hear you experienced the same from our Front Desk Agents. Our outdoor pool is seasonal and will reopen the first week of May. We would very much like an opportunity to exceed your expectations in the future. Please reach out to me should you return to Chapel Hill if there is any way I can further accommodate you.
Fayetteville, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2012 via mobile

I was impressed by the service of all the hotel employees. The hotel was labeled as a 4 star. I would contest a 3 plus star but for the area it is a great hotel for the value. My girlfriend and I stayed here to get away from my town. A little weekend escape. Worked out great. Never had a bad experiance with Sheraton.

• Stayed March 2012
StevenCory, Front Office Manager at Sheraton Chapel Hill Hotel, responded to this review, March 6, 2012
Thank you so much for your positive feedback, it means a great deal to our staff to know that the high level of service we strive for is being met. Our location has proven to be "the perfect getaway" for many of our guests. We deeply appreciate your loyalty to Sheraton and especially to our property. Please reach out to me upon your next visit if I can assist you in any way.

Best regards,
Oslo, Norway
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2012

Stayed at the Sheraton Chapel Hill for four nights during our a business trip to UNC. Had a room in the 4th floor not so far from the elevator, and did not notice any noise. Everything was quiet. The room it self was a standard room , and the bed was nice. Both the bathroom and the room was clean, and housekeeping did a good job. There is a fitness center at the lobby level.

The hotel also has a free shuttle service to to local area around the hotel, this was a very good service for us, since it was a pain for guests to park at UNC. The service in general by the staff at the hotell was very good, the only smal thing I can put my finger at is that the Club in the 4th floor perhaps was a little smal, especially during breakfast hours.

The hotel also has a restaurant called Shula's 347 Grill, which was very good!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
StevenCory, Front Office Manager at Sheraton Chapel Hill Hotel, responded to this review, March 2, 2012
Thank you so very much for taking the time to review our hotel. We take great pride in providing the high quality of stay you experienced. Our clean, newly renovated property houses multiple amenities including our Sheraton Fitness Center programmed by Core Performance; which you so enjoyed. Our complimentary Shuttle will take our guests anywhere in a five mile radius, encompassing all of downtown Chapel Hill and UNC. Please feel free to contact me directly should you need anything at all on your next visit to Chapel Hill.

Warmest regards,
San Diego CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2012

We had a room near the end of the hall and did not notice any of the hallway noise or thin walls of previous reviewers. It was just fine and we enjoyed our stay. The room was a bit on the small side but not restrictive. It was a Wednesday and they provided a nice finger food free happy hour in the lobby which was fun and nice. We ate at the Shula's in the hotel which was very, very good. Recommended.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
StevenCory, Front Office Manager at Sheraton Chapel Hill Hotel, responded to this review, February 20, 2012
We deeply appreciate such positive feedback. Connecting with our guests and providing the most comfortable and memorable experiences possible is of utmost Importance to us. We are so fortunate to have such wonderful staff; both in Shula's 347, and the rest of our property. Please feel free to contact me directly should you return to Chapel Hill if I can be of any assistance.
Warmest regards,
Steven Cory

Been to Sheraton Chapel Hill Hotel? Share your experiences!