“Outstanding” 5 of 5 stars

$25 Daily Credit
Ranked #1 of 16 Hotels in Chapel Hill
“Outstanding”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012 via mobile

The property is exceptional but what sets The Siena apart is its staff ALL of them.
I have never experienced a more attentive well trained group. My thanks for making our stays as pleasant as they could be.

Stayed October 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
Bay Saint Louis, Mississippi
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

Wow! I don't think my hand touched a door handle all Labor Day weekend. Such service! From the buffet breakfast thru fresh cookies in the lobby in the afternoon to turn down w chocolates each evening, I felt like a pincess. The lobby & rooms are beautifully decorated, a bit ornate for my personal taste, but I was just renting this space for 3 nights. My 3rd floor corner room was clean & quiet. The hotel is buffered from the highway by surrounding tall trees. Consequently, I had a beautiful view. The Siena sits in a residential area a little over 2 mi outside town. They offer a complimentary shuttle service to downtown Chapel Hill until 10:45 PM, & recommendations for reliable taxi service for those of us who stay out later. There is a new Walgreens across the corner & a cross walk at the red light to get there safely. Parking was free & easily accessible. There is no bathtub, but the bathroom is quite large & includes a shower large enough for 3. There is a small fridge that had a tiny freezer compartment. I loved that! I was attending a 2 day outdoor event, so I froze a water bottle each evening. An ice bin was also available on my floor near the elevator. I found the room lighting a little dim, but the 3 way lamps & easily adjustable drapes on the large windows allowed me to brighten things up considerably. There is a large screen TV in the ample armoire & a small desk is also provided. Benches at the foot of the beds make packing easier also. The only things I really missed was a magnifying or makeup mirror & a bathTUB).
I don't normally stay in such a nice place, but the package deal I got via an internet travel service enabled me to afford it. Since I've gotten a peek at the Siena, I'd probably pay more to stay here again. The staff was young but they were all very friendly, responsive, & helpful. Everyone, including hotel staff, restaurant workers, & housekeeping team acknowledged me with a smile & greeting each time I encountered them. I was a princess for a weekend!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Boston, MA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

Everything about this hotel was wonderful! The staff are tremendously helpful and friendly. For example, I was calling in a room service order and the phone went dead in the middle. In the time that it took me to get down to the front desk, the staff in the dining room had alerted the front desk of the problem and they had a repairman up there within ten minutes. The rooms are extremely comfortable, quiet, and spacious. The restaurant Il Palio is equally wonderful--delicious fresh food from local purveyors, top notch service, and nice setting. I've stayed a few times as I travel to support a family member getting medical procedures and The Siena has become my welcoming home base, making it easier to manage the time in the hospital. I give it my highest recommendation, something that I don't often do!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Los Angeles
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2012

We loved this hotel! Some of the recent reviews do not sound positive, but we stayed on the 3rd floor and neither saw nor heard any dogs. The room, with two queen beds, was spacious enough for the four of us, and I didn't think that it looked tired. on the contrary, the rooms were nicely furnished, the lobby was nice, the restaurant looked elegant enough, and I really enjoyed the comfy couches outside in the front. The bathroom was huge -- large shower with enough room for a small army. Even had a bench when showering is just too much effort. No bath, though. One small complaint, our mattress might need to be changed -- it sagged a little in the middle.
The location and convenience to UNC is reason enough to stay at this hotel, although we were actually visiting Duke. It is still located close enough to Duke.
What distinguishes this hotel from others, however, is the top-notch service -- from the front desk to the bell man to the folks in the restaurant. The housekeepers were also very nice. Service includes remembering our names, helping us choose places to eat outside of their restaurant, opening the door with a smile and recognition of who we were, seating us promptly, remembering what we wanted in the morning, etc. Everyone was so nice and positive, it really made our experience so much better.
I liked the little things -- the warm cookies at night, the mint lemonade available all day, the free breakfast (great pancakes and wonderfully light frittata), the turn down service, the van to take you almost anywhere pretty much when you needed it. No pool, but a free day pass to the YMCA is available.
It was a great value, taking into account the free parking and breakfast, and the wonderful service and accommodations. We will definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Our room was close to the elevator on the third floor, but we heard no sound from the outside.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
bdeimling, Front Office Manager at The Siena Hotel, responded to this review, August 29, 2012
Thank you for your kind and generous review of The Siena Hotel. Our staff takes great pride in providing world-class service for all of our guests and I am really glad to hear that you had a wonderful experience during your stay. We recently completed renovations to the bathrooms in the guest rooms as well as a complete remodel of the outside public area and landscaping and at the end of this year completing the renovations to the rest of the guest rooms. I would like to inform you that we do have a select number of rooms that have bathtubs if you find you need for future stays. I have notified our chief engineer that the middle of the bed in your room was sagging and they have rectified the problem.

I want to thank you again for your patronage and we look forward to your next visit to the area.

Brian S Deimling
Revenue Manager
Columbia, South Carolina, Usa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2012

I stayed at the hotel during a trip for a concert at a venue on Franklin Street. The hotel is beautiful and the room was fabulous. Extremely spacious and comfortable. There is no pool, but we never seem to have the time to use a hotel pool when we travel, as there is usually too much else to do. The room, though plush and exquisite, even had a small refrigerator for our use, which was a welcome addition to a nice hotel. The bathroom was very large and beautiful. Flat screen TV, newspaper, turn down service with treats and breakfast was included. The room charge was very reasonable. We will stay here again on our next visit.

Outer Banks, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2012

I stayed at the Siena Hotel for a professional conference. The hotel is located about two miles from the beautiful UNC campus so unfortunately, most people will have to drive if they have any interest in walking around the campus or spending time on Franklin Street near the campus.

The lobby of the hotel is very elegant, with the bar and restaurant to the right of the front door. And a meeting room to the left. Flavored water and cookies are available in the lobby. Check-in was very smooth and took place at a little desk with chairs, which made for a very personal experience. Although the room keys are still digital, they look like actual keys and are provided on a key chain. Very cool. Because the hotel is in a college town, the hotel appears to be staffed primarily by college students.

My room was actually quite reminiscent of hotels in which I have stayed in Italy....which is obviously what they were going for with art by Italian artists and photographs of Italy on the walls, brocade bedspreads and drapes, etc. The room and the bathroom are each large. The bathroom has a single sink with decent toiletries, a coffee maker, and the usual amenities. The television in the room is huge and there is a small desk with chair as well as an additional sitting area with two chairs and a small table. Unusually, there is a very small refrigerator situated on the floor with an ice bucket and glasses on top. The fact that it is not on an elevated table is a bit incongruous in light of the quality of the remainder of the room. The individual climate control works very well and my room was very cool when I arrived which was refreshing as it has been very hot and humid this summer. I should further note that the room was immaculate upon my arrival. When I returned to my room after having been away for a few hours, the bed was turned down and there was a card, accompanied by two individually wrapped chocolates, which provided the weather forecast for the following day.

One minor, but weird inconvenience associated with this hotel is that there are no soft drink vending machines. If you want something to drink, you have to go to the bar or next door to a gas station. In my case, I started at the bar, but the bar tender was engaged with a number of other guests with very complicated drink orders so I went to the gas station even though it was raining outside. In short, it took about 20 minutes and a walk in the rain and a shuffle down a little hill on a well worn path (suggesting that many guests have had to make this trek for a beverage) just get a diet coke. I should also note that there is no onsight gym, so if you want to workout before heading out, you have leave the premises for a local YMCA. Again, a minor inconvenience - but these things matter especially if your stay is for several days. I did not eat at the hotel because it was very expensive and there are restaurants of every variety near the campus.

The hotel does a nice job hosting conferences. All necessary technology is available and interestingly enough - the snacks are "color coded" so one day the snacks are red (Swedish fish, red m&m, strawberries, red pepper hummus with pita, etc. It's cute.

Overall, I would recommend this hotel for any visit to Chapel Hill.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for taking time to comment on your meeting and stay while at The Siena Hotel. I am sorry that we didn’t fully communicate all of the amenities that The Siena Hotel offers to our guests. The hotel does provide a complimentary shuttle in the Chapel Hill area which would include the UNC campus and downtown Franklin Street. As of fall 2011 we have an on-site fitness facility that has two treadmills, an elliptical bike, a stationary bike and free weights. We still have partnerships with the YMCA and Kinetix fitness for guests looking at more extensive equipment and weights. I do apologize as well that you had to walk in the rain next door to purchase a diet coke. Any of our staff would have gladly retrieved a bottle and glass with ice for you.

You may have noticed our newly renovated bathrooms while you were staying with us. The rest of the guest rooms will be renovated at the end of the year which will contain a custom furniture piece that will house the refrigerator as well as the coffee maker.

Thank you again for you review and we hope the next time you have a meeting in Chapel Hill that we can provide a completely satisfying stay.

Brian S Deimling
Revenue Manager
Phila
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2012

What can you say ? This hotel had everything (except for a pool). The room was spacious & clean & well-appointed.The bathroom was very large with a granite top vanity. The shower was European style with a bench and an amazing amount of room.
The lobby is high-class with a piano & a small but nice bar. The staff, from the doormen to the concierge to the desk bent over backwards for you; very pleasant; very knowledgeable. They even have a small free continental style breakfast with good coffee & delicious pastries & fruit, set up in the lobby which I don't think they even advertise in their amenities. Their location is perfect,quiet surroundings since it's set back from the street and only about a half mile from the heart of Chapel Hill
And the topper was the room rates were less expensive than other hotels in the area. I don't know what those other more expensive hotels have, but they would be hard-pressed to beat The Siena in any category.
All-in-all, a very pleasant experience & heartily recommended.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Been to The Siena Hotel? Share your experiences!