“Love the Riding Stables” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Type: Horseback Riding Stables, Sports
Newport, North Carolina
52 attraction reviews
“Love the Riding Stables”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

The ocean view from horseback. What could be better? Well worth the money, a trip you will not soon forget.

Visited September 2012

Northern Virginia
“Great experience!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2012

Our family visited here a few years ago and plan to return on our next visit to the area. The horses are great and well cared for. I have owned and ridden horses all my life and would not hesitate to recommend for any level rider.

My one caution though is to understand that you do cross relatively deep water and life jackets are not provided for those children who cannot swim! We took our 5 year old daughter after being assured that she would be fine over the phone. She was, and the horse was very safe (there are no small ponies). A bigger fear though is that the "river" you cross is extremely wide, and black, and deep in spots (over the stirrups). Though I trusted the horse my 5 year old was riding it could have easily stumbled and sent my daughter into the water. There was no way we could have found her quickly and I was very worried about her. Of course, you go through the same water on the way back to the barn. Nothing happened and we all had a great time, but I would strongly advise a life jacket for smaller children or those very nervous about the water.

Visited May 2012
Emerald Isle, North Carolina
21 attraction reviews
“Great -- a Must DO! Definitely a family memory maker”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2012

I had a friend visiting and took her for the sunset ride at Cheryl's place. We shared the ride with a family visiting from out of the area; our group was a mix of expert riders and brand new never been on a horse beginners. Cheryl selects the horses (not your average trail horses; they are very well trained, well taken care of, no bad habit horses) specifically to the rider. We rode across the river (shoes may get wet! LOL), got to canter and trot (if you were comfortable with it) and I don't know what was bigger; the smiles on my friend and the riders in the group with us, or all of the big outdoors). You ride directly on the unspoiled beach, and it gives you a chance to relax without having to worry about crappy bad mannered trail horses. Very much worth the drive, she accepts only cash so visit the ATM. The stables may look a little downtrodden, yet she uses reclaimed materials to house so don't let that daunt you. This is one of those events that 10 years from now, you and your family will reflect back on and say, Wow, remember how awesome that ride on the beach at Cedar Island was?. DO IT.

Visited June 2012
Emerald Isle, North Carolina
21 attraction reviews
“Great Horse Ride - a Bucket List Must Do for NC”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2012

I am a local (Emerald Isle) and an accomplished equestrian. I say that because I want to qualify my comments about the quality of the ride, the location, and the experience whether you are a local or visitor, beginner or expert rider. My daughter came home for Spring Break and I had sold my horses a few months ago. We decided to try the Outer Banks Riding Stables (website: www.horsebackridingonthebeach.com - she has an answering machine giving rates; leave a message and she WILL call you back--it is likely she in in the barn or on the trail) and had the usual trepidation about "commercial trail horses". The stable, while not much to look at, houses some really terrific horses that meet all levels of experience and comfort. The owner knows her horses; the first thing I noticed as a horse person was that the horses' feet were in terrific shape and none of the horses were lacking for weight or health. We saddled up for the 2 hour ride which was really tremendous--lots of speed variances for our skill level, all over the barrier islands. Yes, we watched the wild banker ponies also which is always a treat. As a rider, one story I hear repeatedly is the "nightmare horse riding" story where the horse ran back to the barn, etc. I was impressed; the owner would keep the horses in check and was training and reinforcing them to NOT race back to the barn; the ride back was disciplined and fun. She takes LOTS of photos for you to enjoy later and it can create some wonderful shots and memories.It is obvious that she cares about her customers having a good time while keeping her guests safe and happy. In short, the horses are well-mannered, willing, in great health, have personality, and the overall experience was really first rate. I will absolutely go again. Her rates are extremely reasonable, particularly given the location (right on the beach, crossing in the water, etc). I explored many stables and am glad to have chosen the Outer Banks stable. It is located just at the entrance to the Cedar Island ferry, a good 45 minute drive from Morehead City. Well worth the drive, well worth the time. This is the ride you think about when you envision riding on the beach.

Visited March 2012
Atlanta, Georgia
“spectacular beach ride!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2011

Horse back riding is a thrill anywhere, anytime BUT on the beach with the surf crashing alongside is the ultimate experience on horseback. We saw wild animals while crossing the dunes and going through the forest areas on the way to the expansive beach. Crossing water areas and climbing the dunes was part of the thrills. This is a beach adventure that should not be missed.

Visited October 2011

Been to Outer Banks Riding Stables? Share your experiences!

If you own or manage Outer Banks Riding Stables, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.