“Hotel, Spa, and Restaurant Review” 4 of 5 stars

Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Ranked #2 of 22 Hotels in Cary
Fayetteville, North Carolina, United States
“Hotel, Spa, and Restaurant Review”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2013 via mobile

Checked into Umstead on Saturday. The room was gorgeous and staff was very attentive. I was taken here as a nice little getaway for the night even though I live about an hour away. My boyfriend booked us a couples massage. I've had many massages in my life, but this was my first couples massage. It was a Swedish massage, I think it was pretty weak. I'm used to more intense deep tissue and the masseuse didn't focus on my back and neck like I asked. So if the review were solely on the massage it'd be a 2.

Right before our dinner reservation at Herons my guy asked me to marry him right outside of the bar area on the terrace in front of outdoor fireplace. Very romantic, I said yes.

Dinner at Herons was such a great experience, Devon was our server and was phenomenal. I can't speak highly enough of the food and service. I love that Herons grows some of its own food and has deals with many local farmers for a great deal more of its food. The menu changes seasonally. It is pricy, but worth it for very special occasions. Dinner was 5 stars.

A few small quirks with the room, about half the tv channels didn't work. It looked to be all the HD channels not working. I felt the bath products not to be very high quality. We had a room on 2nd floor with extra large patio. Unfortunately we couldn't be out there often or even leave our door open, despite the perfect weather because the person in the next room was a chain smoker. If we're there for more than one night I would have asked to switch. We called ahead to ask their pet policy. Although they say pets are welcome, they charge $200 to let them stay. This fee isn't a deposit, you don't get it back at the end of the stay. This was informed to us before we got there, and we found boarding for our pup with a friend for the night.

The cons were minimal, I'm pretty sure the Umstead couldn't make the person in the next room stop smoking. TV was only watched for a short time. I wish I found the massage more enjoyable considering the price was shockingly high. The pros were the plush, there was an abundance of Keurig K-cup, the bed was comfy. It was a great night and very romantic to get engaged. We luckily got an extra hour of sleep due to the time change, so we got to spend some time lounging in the room before we checked out.

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (132)
Greensboro, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2013

We spent a night at the Umstead to celebrate my daughter's 30th birthday. We enjoyed the spa experience so much as part of the stay that it was extremely rewarding to see the happiness on her face. I couldn't have thought of a better setting for her special day. The grounds are relaxing and beautiful, the room spacious and containing every amenity we could imagine. We had a lake front room with balcony which added to the serenity. I recommend staying for a special occasion- we were so touched by the champagne and chocolate-covered strawberries waiting for our arrival. In this day and time, to have turn-down service was an especially appreciated touch. The spa--that alone makes it worth a trip. The staff went above and beyond to help us to be comfortable and special throughout a three-hour treatment. Jeff and Natasha are amazing! They instinctively respected our level of relaxation and checked with us consistently to assure our comfort. Combine that with the cleanest shower, sauna, & whirlpool facilities, & you have the epitome of a great experience. There were many spaces to take a break or just to talk, & the relaxation area outdoors was private and inviting with lap blankets and space which happened to be free of intrusion. All in all, I have to say the room, the spa, the beautiful ambiance, & the attentive staff who provided items before we realized we wanted it made for a memorable birthday visit for my daughter and I. We hope to return for other, longer occasions in the future. The Umstead is the best of the best in my opinion considering I have stayed in hotels in Hawaii and California, across the south and from New York City to Georgia. I'm so glad there are still hotels which have the style and respect that were known in the past, but are nearly impossible to find today.

Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
The_Umstead_Hotel, General Manager at The Umstead Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, December 27, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your thorough review of your stay. I am glad you were able to take full advantage of our newly expanded spa while you were here. We are proud of the facility and of our staff who truly are the pulse of the place. We hope to welcome you back to the property for future celebrations or just because!

fayetteville, north carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2013

Attended a wedding weekend at the Umstead Hotel and this was our first visit. It will not be our last. The service was fantastic. Staff was polite, attentive, helpful. The room was beautiful and well appointed. Wedding was gorgeous and set outdoors. I love this hotel and can't wait to return for a spa trip. You feel miles away from anyone even though you are in Cary. One of my favorite hotels!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

I'm glad you've been introduced to The Umstead! Thank you for being our guest and for sharing your positive review of the experience. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Apex, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2013

I have been going to The Ulmstead for massages for the past three or four years (I live local). PROS: As far as the staff, they are excellent - very accommodating, top notch. The facility is clean, warm, inviting, and absolutely what you would expect from a four star hotel spa. Anything you ask for, they will accommodate and make it happen. CONS: Price is, as expected, high. Because of that, you expect the best. The therapists are very good. Each one has a different method, so be sure to try different people to find your favorites. What is an absolute rip-off is the 75 minute massage - DO NOT GET THE 75 MINUTE! I have gotten this on numerous occasions and what I found is this. All other facilities I have been to, you get a 75 minute massage! Here, however, if you spend a lot extra for the 75 minute versus the 50 minute, what you are actually getting is around 60 minutes. Completely wrong and a lot of money for 10 more minutes. Several times now, I had worn my watch. Not on purpose, just had it (except last time was on purpose because I "caught on"). My massage was scheduled for 1:30 - I was still in the downstairs holding room waiting at 1:30 p.m. My therapist didn't get me until 1:35. We then rode up the elevator, went to the room, etc. By the time I was on the table and he started it was about 1:43 p.m. I had my robe on and was headed back to the room for water at 2:45 p.m. Again, this was not the first time it happened. The 50 minute massage is always a 50 minute massage. Stay with that. It will not disappoint.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your experience from The Umstead Spa. I am delighted to hear how much you enjoyed the facility and staff. I regret to hear your disappointment in some aspects of your service interaction. We look forward to serving you again in the future and exceeding your expectations.

Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2013

My wife and I spent two days at the Umstead to celebrate my birthday and attend an arts and crafts fair in Cary. From the moment of our arrival, we were very well taken care of. We were upgraded to a suite that had a large balcony overlooking grounds where a wedding took place each afternoon of our stay. Shortly after we got to our room, a tray of macarons and a small bottle of prosecco arrived. Everyone we encountered was very friendly and helpful. On our first afternoon, we received an email containing a document that needed to be signed and faxed. The concierge took care of it for us right away and recommended things to do in the area. We ate each meal at the hotel, once at their high-end restaurant. Every meal was terrific. We did not try the spa services, but the gym provided plenty of equipment for a good workout needed to burn off some of the calories we consumed. When we departed, the valet put a couple of bottles of water in our car for the ride home. This is definitely going to be our place to stay whenever we are in the Raleigh area.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

I appreciate your review title "Gracious Southern Hospitality". We pride ourselves in creating memorable guest experiences daily and I am delighted to read that you had that experience personally. Thank you for allowing us the opportunity to serve you and we look forward to your return.

Morehead City
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2013

We went to celebrate our 34th anniversary and it was 5 star service the entire time. This is how all hotels should treat their guests. It was worth every penny spent and you will spend some money here but it's all worth it. I highly recommend this hotel. The bicycles we used to ride through Umstead State Park were in great condition and were a nice perk; no additional fee for their use. The fitness center was clean and not crowded. The facials we had at the spa were top notch and everything in the spa was first class. Our dinner at Herron's was gourmet and excellent; the service impeccable ......would love to return!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Congratulations on your 34th Anniversary. We appreciate your patronage and are grateful that you shared your experience. I am personally pleased you were able to take in so much of what the property offers and I look forward to welcoming you back.

Raleigh, NC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2013

My wife and I started our 10th anniversary getaway at the Umstead. The service, rooms, and overall experience were great. We even got a nice, unexpected treat delivered to our room in honor of our event. We've already started talking about making the Umstead an annual escape.

We had a 3rd floor room overlooking the lake and enjoyed the relaxing balcony views. We also enjoyed the short walk around the lake and the art gallery with its colorful exhibit. We finished up with an enjoyable lunch at Herons before continuing on our trip.

After staying at the Umstead, we couldn't help but be let down when we got to our next destination.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Congratulations on your 10th Anniversary! I am delighted to read that we provided an outstanding and memorable stay for you and your wife. We look forward to being a destination for your celebrations in the future!

Jim Beley

Been to The Umstead Hotel and Spa? Share your experiences!