“Loved the fitness class and personal trainer....” 5 of 5 stars

Hotel packages
Ranked #2 of 22 Hotels in Cary
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Raleigh, NC
“Loved the fitness class and personal trainer....”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2008

I went to the hotel and spa for a break from life. I wanted to relax. I got a facial, sat poolside, ate on the patio, had an excellent spacious and grande room, and enjoyed personal training. The trainer worked around my schedule and gave me a workout that I can use at home. It was well worth the money.

• Liked — the spa and the personal training
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (147)
Washington, DC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2008

The Umstead was an amazing hotel. Nothing is overlooked and the staff is great. The only complaint I have is about the food. We ate at the Umstead a few times and the food was only average. Other than the food, the rooms were beautiful and we loved the bathroom. It's so peaceful and the pool is amazing. I'd definitely go back!

• Liked — Rooms
  • Disliked — Food
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2008

The Umstead is a beautiful luxury hotel located in a tranquil green setting in Cary, NC. I stayed at the Umstead with my husband during a business conference. Our room was upscale with luxurious sheets and pillows on our bed, service was incredible, definitely five-star treatment. The hotel's pool was sublime, crystal clear and warm, not the usual highly chlorinated water found in most hotels. While I relaxed on one of their lounge chairs, I opened my eyes to see a glass of ice cold water next to me. The pool attendant, Sasha, had placed it there quietly. It was a Calgone-take-me away moment. When my husband and I walked over to a local park, the doormen gave us two ice cold bottled waters to take with us. We were very impressed. Room service was very prompt and respectful, everything was served on beautiful silverware. My only criticism is that the food was priced too high and I would question whether it would fall into a five-star rating. I was very impressed with their crabcakes which were superb, but much of the food I would catagorize as average. One of the lunches, a bbq pork sandwich, was lukewarm in temperature. Another time, I tried a cobb salad which had a meager portion of chicken on it. This would be my only criticism of what was really a wonderful hotel staffed with hard-working, conscientious employees. I would love to return to the Umstead.

• Liked — The Incredible Pool
  • Disliked — The Over-Priced Food
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled on business
Oxford, UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2008

One of the best hotels I have ever stayed in. I have travelled to over 30 countries and this hotel has to rate as one of the best I have ever been too.
It combines exquisite taste in art and design with all the facilitities and service that you would expect of a 5 star hotel.
Nothing else to say really.
Shaun and Barbara (Oxford, UK)

• Liked — Style
  • Disliked — Had to leave
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2008

Wonderful hotel, but really expensive. I stayed for a conference and the room was 200.00. However, it was regularly 500.00. Would not stay there for pleasure. The restaurant is excellent with a wonderful wine list but again pricey The service is as it should be for a AA five diamond hotel. I had a massage at the spa that was great.

Stayed March 2008
Weaverville, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2008

We were able to get our room at a very reasonable price through an auction site so we were very pleased at the value for the money and would consider a return visit. The staff were unfailingly polite and helpful. The grounds were very nice and I enjoyed walking around the pond/lake. It was too chilly to swim in the pool, 80 degrees just doesn't make up for outside temps in the low 60's. I wish they had had a hot tub or outdoor jacuzzi near their outdoor fireplace. Our room was nicely furnished and understated my husband liked the large plasma flat screen and I thought the bathroom was very spacious. We had just stayed at a 4 Seasons and I actually thought this bath was larger with more counter space and a larger shower.
We ate in the bar and I found it to be pretty pricey, though in keeping w/ the overall cost of the hotel. Wines by the class start at about $10. The bar menu is extensive and we liked trying some of their appetizers, though nothing blew me away. Next time we'll try Heron's.

• Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
new york
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2008

I read the reviews on this hotel before booking. I did notice a negative review or two regarding the price in relation to what you get, but the overwhelming consensus was that this hotel was worth it, so I went ahead. I usually stay in 4 and 5 star hotels, so the bar is raised on my expectations of what that rating means. We stayed in a one bedroom suite with lake view. The room was a nice size. The view was okay - it's more like a large pond than a lake, but there was water there,nonetheless. The bathroom was nice - although the shower was a bit small. The pool was large and "heated" - I use that term loosely. The pool was definitely chilly. I personally couldn't go in. I swam in an outdoor heated pool in Vermont in the middle of the winter (snow behind the the jacuzzi and all) and we were perfectly comfortable - so there is a way, but it's a matter of heating it to where it needs to be so your guests can comfortably enjoy and not just be something to look at. The pool area lacked a hot tub, which seemed a miss. I felt the constant feeling of hands out for money. I'm used to spending quite a bit on vacation and doing so happily if I feel like it's worth it. However, I don't like feeling like I have to check over every check (almost all of which were over charges that had to be adjusted) and noticing that the "details" were clearly lacking in this hotel. Everything is crazy priced, I think just to give an air of "an expensive place" than actually being worth what you're getting even by any margin. Breakfast for one adult and two children was overpriced and absolutely nothing special. We would have done better at a diner. The "french toast with Cinnamon Bun filling" - was literally a Cinnamon Bun - that was it - nothing special and no french toast to be found. The glasses of orange juice were served in glasses the size of a shot glass. The other two dishes were a child's plain pancake and waffles. All this with coffee for $75.00. I could see a $75.00 breakfast for something where you say "ahhh", but that was just charging to charge. Our room would have been just under $700 a night had I not used the AAA discount, which brought it down to closer to $600 a night. (double or more the price of any other hotel in the area)For the area and the amenities, this hotel should not have been charging more than $400 a night for that room before any discounts. They're taking advantage of the "diamond" rating - and people are falling for it...or they just don't care because they're expensing it. They even have five diamonds around each floor number on the elevator. they're playing it up and playing into people's need to feel like they're staying at a "five diamond". There are much, much better five diamonds out there. Over-rated and definitely not child friendly. If you have an expense account to burn, go for it. If not, save your money and go to a five star somewhere else. This place just isn't worth it.

• Liked — The size of the room
  • Disliked — everything else. The value was not there.
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to The Umstead Hotel and Spa? Share your experiences!