“A nice change in a hidden location” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Mediterranean
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Durham, North Carolina
“A nice change in a hidden location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2014

After reading positive reviews on Yelp, we decided to try Bella's for dinner. Haven't been there since it was the old Pizza Palace with karaoke (and pretty dismal food offerings). Pleasantly surprised at the menu - ambitious offerings but not too kooky. As others report, the Fried Green Tomatoes were fried perfectly although sauce is a bit spicy for my taste; goat cheese a welcome creamy relief. I ordered the Chicken Piccata and it was so-so..waaaaay too many capers and the sauce was more mustardy vs lemon-y. Our kids ordered seafood platter which was apparently cooked to perfection and the tenderloin which was equally good. Desserts were OK - there is a chocolate layer at the bottom of the tiramisu which is strange. But overall, we are thrilled to have another option in north Durham. A good option. A better-than-average option. Service was quick and friendly, too. And prices aren't too bad either. A definite "add to the regular schedule list" kind of place.

• Visited February 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

North Carolina
“OMG! Who knew about this gem?”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2013

I've lived near Durham for years but never spotted this restaurant which is tucked away behind two nondescript buildings on a busy street just north of I-85. But an internet search led me there and - BOY - am I glad!

I've tried both lunch and dinner there with family. I can recommend both.

Lunch gives you very generous proportions of a variety of delicious choices at very reasonable, if not cheap, prices. The almond chicken salad on a huge croissant was wonderful as was the vegetable quesadilla.

Dinner was even better. We tried the Seafood platter, the bacon cheeseburger, the chicken fettucine and the shrimp & spinach pasta. They were all winners. Absolutely superb! The portions were huge and the price was fairly reasonable. We'll all be able to get a lunch or light dinner with the left overs.

Try this place and I am sure you won't be disappointed. We'll be back!

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Hillsborough, NC
“A most pleasant surprise”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

This is a really nice restaurant. The menu is very inviting, the wine & beer selections quite good. My wife had the Steak au Poivre, I had the Chicken Parmesan - both were delicious, carefully prepared and nicely presented. The service is knowledgable and cheerful. The atmosphere is very pleasant. All in all, a very enjoyable experience. We plan to make it a regular visit.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
“Great Restaurant.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013 via mobile

If you want good fresh food, friendly service, at a reasonable price then this is a place to go. Be patient in locating it it will be worth the effort.

• Visited August 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Hillsborough, North Carolina
“Best shrimp and grits”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013 via mobile

The food was excellant as well as the service. I had the shrimp and grits. I have eaten shrimps and grits at croaks corner, fosters, at. Some of the best resturants in the south. I have to say Bella's has the best shrimps and grits I have ever eaten. The entire menu looked great. We have found a new favorite.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere