“Older but nice” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Surfside Lodge Oceanfront

You added Surfside Lodge Oceanfront to your Saves list
Surfside Lodge Oceanfront
2.0 of 5 Motel   |   234 Carolina Beach Avenue North, Carolina Beach, NC 28428 (Formerly Surfside Motor Lodge)   |
Ranked #7 of 17 Hotels in Carolina Beach
West Jefferson, NC
“Older but nice”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2013

We stayed here for a weekend of fishing. The rooms were nice and clean. The rate was really good also. The hotel is oceanfront but you can't see the ocean. You do have to walk to over the dunes to see the ocean. But that is understandable. Would stay here again for sure.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
crown142, Owner at Surfside Lodge Oceanfront, responded to this review, December 21, 2013
Thank you for the kind review. Hope you enjoyed your fishing. We appreciate your business and we look forward to your next visit. Barry Eagle

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Raleigh, North Carolina, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

We stayed @ Surfside Motor Lodge for 2 nights in July... it was a last minute spontaneous beach trip (we didn't expect it to be of reputable hotel quality). The woman that I spoke with when we booked was more than friendly and the front desk gentleman was very kind as well.

We booked 2 rooms (one for another couple)... we paid each $150/night. I suppose given that it was in season AND weekend, and the place had beach access it was a typical/average MO-tel. When we walked into our room, it was definitely cool (air conditioning was good), but I immediately stripped the bed of its comforter. We went to our cars to get our own blankets to use. The bed only had sheets and their comforter.

There was a chair right inside the door that looked as if there was every last type of bodily fluid or colonies of bacteria growing on it... we automatically kept that off limits. The bathroom was kind of clean, but I noticed some hair behind the toilet and pubic-looking hair on the TP holder. Due to the fact of our first impression, we made SURE to keep flip-flops next to our bed to wear in case we had to use the restroom in the middle of the night...

Plusses: full sized refrigerator, access to beach, pool was clean and refreshing, close for walking distance to boardwalk and restaurants and friendly staff.

I do feel that for the quality of our rooms, the price was WAY too high, but we do understand that its the going rate for any motel on the oceanfront. Given that everything is outdated, there are some definite upgrades needed. However, I understand that some of their clientele may prevent them from spending more money on new things just to have them get trashed again. From what we saw (maybe it was just that weekend) it was the redneck riviera (Carolina Beach in its entirety). We definitely discovered that nightlife consists of a LOT of young lower 20-s girls and boys that set out to get wasted every night.

One may ask, "well did you go complain?" Honestly, no. What were they going to do about it? I knew that they wouldn't budge on the price. Even if they offered to have their housekeeper come clean some things in the bathroom, I had my own Clorox wipes and took care of it. I didn't want to come across as a witchy guest that appeared stuck up and crazy. Like I said, we kind of expected less than pretty and understood that we were just paying for a place to sleep that was on the ocean.. we of course didn't spend much time in our rooms. But, the whole point of this review is to be honest.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for the review. I will speak to our management to determine why your room wasn't cleaned according to our standards. Our rooms do need updating. We are in the process of updating all furniture, entry doors, sliding glass doors and window treatments. The hotel is an older mom and pop hotel and we have been doing our best to upgrade the property due to the poor condition it was in when we took over. I appreciate your feedback. Barry Eagle
Fayetteville, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here off-season ($60.00) for one night. Just needed a crash pad while on a fishing trip. Could have had about the same environment in my tent, but wife was with me & she don't do tents. Poor bed, sliding glass door to seaside balcony broken, a/c was so loud, you could not hear the waves breaking, safety latch on door was broken....the only positive was the price.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review. We will begin updating all the sliding glass doors, front doors and furniture in mid January and should have the updates completed by mid-March. We appreciate your business and hope that you will get a chance to stay with us next year. Barry Eagle
Dobson
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

From the pictures online, this looked like a nice place to stay. So I booked a 2-night stay online. Our son lives in Wilmington close to the Carolina Beach area, and we were visiting him. When we arrived, my husband was told that we had received an UPGRADE! If this room was an upgrade, I would hate to see the other rooms! One window had a crack all the way down it. Some of the blinds were all bent up. The carpet was stained. The room smelled like cigarette smoke. The refigerator door was dirty where we had to place our hands to open it, and there were no ice trays. Parking was difficult as well. The only good things about our stay: close to the ocean, nice pool with chairs close to our room, the beds
were clean and slept ok, and that we didn't stay in our room very much while there! We will not stay here again!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
I apologize that our room did not meet your expectations. We are in the process of upgrading all the doors, furniture and window treatments. We took over this hotel a year ago and it was in pretty bad shape. We have trying our best to improve the property and hope that you will give us another try later this year. Barry Eagle
Charlotte,NC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013

Room was very large with 2 queen beds with very clean linens, kitchen with small table and small but functional bathroom. My favorite part was the long back porch that has wooden rail dividers between each room. On the upper floor of building 3, you have a good view of the ocean. Such a close walk to the boardwalk and many good restaurants. Yes, the place is older and the bathroom tile has seen better days, sliding door to the back porch was a little stiff. but if you want friendly staff, a big clean room with clean bedding and nice TV and convenience to the wonderful things Carolina Beach has to offer, I highly recommend this place! I'll return and hopefully not too many people will read this review and want to stay there when I do!!! By the way, my little dachshund loved it too!

Room Tip: Top floor of building 3
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
crown142, Owner at Surfside Lodge Oceanfront, responded to this review, September 27, 2013
Thank you for the great review. I appreciate all the comments on our staff and our hotel. Brenda and her team have the gift of Hospitality and want to make every stay a special one. We look forward to your next visit. Barry Eagle
Kansas City, Kansas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

We spent 2 nights at Surfside and had a blast, we went to a concert, watched fireworks on the beach, marked watching a sunrise over the ocean off of our bucket lists, and as a bonus we got to see dolphins both mornings!! The manager, Brenda, was a huge help to me in planning this trip, I truly appreciate her efforts in answering all of my questions. The room was average, a K size bed, table and 2 chairs, microwave, mini fridge, & coffee pot. There are NO phones in the rooms or hairdryers. The view from room 33 is amazing, we loved sitting outside on the deck and visiting with our neighbors on both sides of us. We did the party boat on Friday night and had a great time. You are close to everything, we walked everywhere we went. I will go back since there is no beach in Kansas!!

Room Tip: If you want a view of the ocean request a room on the 2nd floor oceanside.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
crown142, Owner at Surfside Lodge Oceanfront, responded to this review, September 12, 2013
Thank you for such a great review. So glad you enjoyed the area and all the great attractions. We appreciate your business and thank you for the kind comments on Brenda. She works extremely hard to make every guest feel welcomed. We have put a plan in place to do upgrades in the off season so hopefully you will come back next year to see the changes. Barry Eagle

Been to Surfside Lodge Oceanfront? Share your experiences!