“Don't waste your money!” 1 of 5 stars

Menu
Improve this listing
Cuisines: Seafood
Camden, South Carolina
“Don't waste your money!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2012

Last year when my husband and I came, it was pretty good; but this year- AWFUL! The seafood/clam chowder was delicious, so I recommend ordering a "to go" bag of this anytime you're in town. However, everything else was really bad. I ordered the Snow Cut platter with crab legs and shrimp. The crab legs didn't have any taste- no flavor at all. The shrimp was terrible. Don't get me wrong- the food was fresh and hot - it just didn't have any taste- it was bland. I ate the crab legs anyway but threw away the shrimp. They put alot of seasoning on the shrimp, but all you taste is the seasoning - I don't know what's wrong with the food. My husband got the appetizer plate with crab cakes and oysters, but he didn't eat it either. They must have changed cooks - the food just doesn't taste good. Basically, we spent $70 dollars for 2 people for clam chowder, salad and drinks. We were really disappointed that there was no grilled shrimp, scallops or anything fried. They have a very limited menu. If you go for the first time, make sure to pull up the restaurant menu over the internet first to see your options. I recommend getting the seafood chowder... we don't recommend anything else! We won't be back. (Service was good and food was hot.)

• Visited November 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food

Fuquay-Varina, North Carolina
“Girl's weekend and a great find!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

A couple of the girls went to Carolina Beach for the weekend and we decided to stop at Michael's. I've driven by it for years and read good reviews but it always seemed so busy. Now I know why... this place is great!!! I had a mixed platter with flounder, shrimp, scallops and ordered a side of crab cakes... wow, it was all incredible and LOTS of food. We had plenty to share at the table for everyone. I love how they have a wide variety of ways of cooking the seafood as well and not all of them are fried. I realize I'm in the south and calabash is the way of the area but a nice broiled or grilled meal is my personal preference and Michael's definitely delivers!!

• Visited August 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Clayton, North Carolina
“Great seafood.. great service!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012 via mobile

Very good seafood chowder with a recipe that has won prizes at major chowder festivals. The restaurant is well furnished, comfortable and clean.

The wait staff was friendly and helpful!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Raleigh, North Carolina
“Tourist Trap”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

I had dinner here last night, while in town on a business trip. Surprising, being at the beach, I was hard pressed to find a good seafood restaurant for dinner. And after dining here, I am still looking.

I should have known when I arrived that at 6pm, there were only 4 tables of other diners. The wait staff was average, all of them college age co-eds. Not bad service, but nothing over the top to rate it above average.

The "international award winning" chowder was good, but definitely not worth $6.00 a bowl.

I ordered the seafood medley, priced at $19.99, and ended up with a 3 oz portion of mahi, 4 bay scallops, and about 6 small shrimp. Disappointing and not a medley. The scallops were overcooked and the shrimp were bland. The mahi was good but after 2 bites I was wondering where the rest was. The rice served as a side with this dish was straight out of a mexican restaurant. Don't get that one, as I thought I was at a seafood restaurant. The vegetable medley was the best part of my entree. Very fresh and well cooked.

For my $32.00 bill, including tip, I am still in search of a good seafood restaurant in the Carolina Beach area.

• Visited October 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Newport News, Virginia
“Seafood on Carolina Beach”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

This is your typical beach style seafood restaurant. We ordered the platter with snow crab legs, mussels, shrimp and oysters. The shrimp were overcooked and the oysters were almost non-existant when opened. the crab legs and mussels were good. Overall I give it a B- rating. The service was fast and friendly.

Visited October 2012