“A nice place” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #9 of 17 Hotels in Carolina Beach
Wapakoneta, Ohio
“A nice place”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2011

I was a little leery of this place after seeing a few of the reviews. Place was pretty clean (considering it is at the beach) and all staff members were exceedingly helpful and very friendly. I would have no qualms about staying here again. I don't see where they said it was walking distance to beach althought I saw someone remark about it earlier.It is not walking distance. Continental breakfast is OK. Could use some fruit or yogurt but not bad.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Winston Sale,
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2011

I have stayed at this property many times but had decided not to return due to the manager. When I arrived, I was pleased to find out that it is under new management.
Sheryl Robertson is always amazing. So glad for the the changes. I will be back. It is
a great place.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled solo
Cleveland, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2011

I was not sure about staying at this Hotel because of some of the reveiws, but my niece had stayed her two times in the past two years and told me it was nice. Well Iam so glad I listened to her because the place was very clean, the staff was outstanding, loved the pool, the beds were pillow top with nice and comfortable beding, and it is walking distance to the beach and all of the restaurants. (about 3 blocks). We stayed on the third floor and the maid was outstanding. One day my daughter was sick and did not leave the room all day the maid still cleaned our room, then the next day we came back to the room when she was cleaning and she was changing tne beding on my daughters bed. she told us that because my daughter was sick the day before she wanted to give her clean sheets and blankets. ( that was the day before we checked out). I was very impressed. This is not a 5 star Hotel but the service was very very good, and the rooms are clean and comfortable. I am a very pickie person and I was happy..

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
Fort Bragg, North Carolina
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2011

I was told one price when I made the reservation for two rooms. I was told one total and asked several times for the person on the phone to repeat the total so I could write it down and be sure. I was also told there would be a confirmation email, which I never received. Upon check in, the rooms had not been cleaned yet, so we had to wait. The total also came up to twice what I was told it would be, and we were charged extra for more than one person staying in a double room. How can you assume only one person is staying in a double room? I was not asked how many people were in my party and I was not told there would be extra charges. The total was twice what I was told over the phone, plus the extra charges. The manager was extremely rude despite my attempts to politely ask what went wrong. I was told I could stay and accept the situation or leave. "You can stay or you can leave right now." I was also told that I was responsible for knowing the correct prices and knowing about the extra charges. The manager said "You must not travel much." I do travel. A lot. I've been a military dependent for 21 years, as have the people with me. That means we travel much more than the vast majority of people, and have stayed in numerous hotels all over the country and overseas. The wifi (advertised and charged for) was not functioning either, and the manager could not fix it. After being treated horribly, we moved to a different hotel, but spent an hour with the manager telling us that all of our banks were "rejecting" our refunds. After calling my bank, I learned she never attempted to refund us. We were lied to and the manager attempted to charge us double, and then not refund us.

Cleanliness is not a strong suit of this hotel either, even the lobby was unclean not to mention the rooms. Also overheard manager telling other patrons that the rooms they wanted were taken (by me and my party) but that they could have the rooms next door for half price, and that the rooms I rented were faulty (bathroom issues) anyway.

Needless to say this was the worst experience I have ever had and I will not return. I recommend everyone look elsewhere. I have never been treated worse at any establishment in my life. And the entire party was made up of soldiers, spouses and children of soldiers. Wonderful way to show appreciation for the troops. Vacation was totally ruined.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2011

I travel all over in my line of work. I enjoy staying at this location but the Manager, Sue Williamson is the worse employee there. She has no respect for her employees or guests. Her rudeness was not directed at me but other guests. Her attire was almost comical. I sat in the breakfast area and watched as this person rant and raved.
This is a very nice property with great potential but not with this manager.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
Toronto, ON
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2011

They tried -- they really did! But this is a sad excuse for a holiday place.
The carpets have all been replaced, the scary yellow paint is new, and it's a totally non-smoking facility. The innkeepers were incredibly friendly but I could hardly wait to leave!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled solo
Greensboro, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2011

You definitely get what you paid for. I was staying with friends for the weekend but when I had to unexpectedly stay an extra night I opted for a hotel (well motel) b/c my friend's place was rather nasty. But this was decent, very close to the beach, the staff was friendly and I enjoyed my stay. The breakfast wasn't all that, but whatever. I will say that there was a dirty washcloth in the bathroom in my room that I made them come and retrieve, so that was kind of gross. It wasn't the best, but it wasn't bad overall.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business

Been to Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Carolina Beach? Share your experiences!