“People stayed longer,Microltel caneled my Reserved Room!” 1 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save 15%; Earn 500 Points
Ranked #9 of 17 Hotels in Carolina Beach
Lake Jackson, TX
“People stayed longer,Microltel caneled my Reserved Room!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2007

On October 13th I made a room reservation for Nov 8,9,10 to stay at this hotel with my husband and grandson.We were keeping him for the weekend while his parents had their own weekend... my daughter's husband,who is a Marine, had just come home from Iraq. Upon the day of arrival, I called the hotel about midafternoon, twenty minutes from the hotel to get the exact exit location. Sue, the General Manager answered the phone and told me that I no longer had the guaranteed non smoking room because someone had decided to stay longer and they didn't know when I made the reservation, that a group of 4th grade students would be staying. I have never experienced this in any of my travels. I believe it is normal policy for a hotel to tell the prior guest, that someone else has the room reserved...otherwise it doesn't do you any good to make reservations with " this " hotel. Word of mouth and the internet speak volume's for a business. Shame on Microtel Inn & Suites!

• Stayed November 2007, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Columbia SC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2007

We spent a week in October at this Microtel. I had out patient surgery in Wilmington. The entire staff couldn't have been nicer! Our room was clean and comfortable. The property and pool area was always kept clean. No, it's not on the beach, but public areas with ample parking a few minutes away. The breakfast area was well stocked and if anything missing, it was quickly replaced. Fresh coffee available 24/7 in the breakfast area. As I have to go back for Drs appts., we will always make our reservations here. They do have wireless internet available.

• Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Frisco, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2007

The manager at this hotel (Sue) was extremely angry because I got a great rate when I booked my july trip in february. I got a rate of 53 a night for 4 nights. She and the front desk clerk were very rude to me and they actually put an extra day on my reservation and charged me for it. The customer service at corporate is now aware of my situation and is taking care of it for me. The hotel needs newer towels and some happier people at the front desk. This location is not within walkling distance to the beach so dont let anyone tell you different. Stay at the courtyard if you can.

I love Carolina Beach but it needs a big clean up effort down there.

Stayed July 2007
Home in WV,SC,TN
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2007

When we arrived we had reserved a 2 beded room. We arrived at our room to discover that it was a king. They were glad to fix their mistake. There is a pond behind the hotel which is full of frogs that croaked all night, and hopped into the pool. The morning buffet was not very large, but was acceptable for the price paid for the room.

• Liked — The location
  • Disliked — Pond with frogs
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Franklinville, North Carolina
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2007

The best thing this location had going for it turned her notice in while we visited. On arrival, although a room with two double beds was reserved for 4 people for 3 nights, we were assigned a room with one bed. We called down to the front desk, to let them know of the error only to get an arguement about what the reservation was for. Cornelia at the front desk said Anna booked us for 1 night in a single room. I told her Anna did not make my reservation, Sue did (who I found out happens to be the manager). I finally asked how 4 people were suppose to sleep in one bed and was unhappily assigned a room with 2 beds. The next evening when we returned to "our" room, our cards would not open the door. Again we returned to the front desk, and fortunately were able to talk to Sheryl who had been trying
to figure out who was in room 204 (our room). In their computer upon check-in we had been assigned, billed and checked out of room 205, but our card keys were for 204. While we were out for the day, our room had been rented and other guests had visited our room! Sheryl assured us they promptly returned to the desk informing the staff the
room was already occupied. Sheryl then put a block on any entry to the room until the occupants (us) could be identified. (We had been checked out of room 205 that day) Had it not been for Sheryl and her superb customer service skills, we would have left. The rest of the staff we encountered were not very friendly. On Microtel's behalf, the continental breakfast, especially the waffles were excellent. Rooms were very clean. The main thing Microtel needs to do, is have Sheryl lead a customer service training class for the rest of the staff. KUDOS to Sheryl, and good luck!

• Liked — Continental Breakfast and pool
  • Disliked — Poor overall customer service
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Raleigh
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2007

We stayed here last summer and were very happy! The room was clean, staff very polite. The continental breakfast was good and fresh. Pool clean. The price was VERY reasonable. Would happily stay here again!

• Liked — Price! When compared with accomodations in area, price couldn't be beat!
  • Disliked — Have no complaints!
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Carolina Beach? Share your experiences!