“Beachfront & large rooms” 4 of 5 stars

Advanced Purchase. Save!!
Ranked #4 of 17 Hotels in Carolina Beach
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Atlanta
“Beachfront & large rooms”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2011

OK ... I'm not sure what a Courtyard is doing here on Carolina Beach, but it's nice. It's right on the beach and I enjoyed my stay.

The staff here is great. I'm a Plantinum Premier with Marriott and truthfully, this hotel treated me better than most full service Marriotts. That was impressive.

The rooms are nice and and pretty large. Every room has a view of ocean and a balcony. There is a large pool and a restaurant with a pretty good breakfast. You won't find the amenities of a Marriott resort (like towels, poolside bar, etc), but the hotel and rooms are pretty close.

The bed is good and the air conditioning works well. The hotel and the rooms were clean.

I would highly recommend this hotel for business or pleasure if you're in the Carolina Beach area (and depending on where your business is in Wilmington, it might be a good evening escape for a Wilmington business trip).

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (166)
Charlotte, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2011

What an awesome experience. I stayed here mainly for business reasons, but was able to sneak in some personal pleasure as well. As a Marriott Gold Member, my husband and I were upgraded to a corner oceanfront 2 bedroom suite. The two rooms were huge and well appointed with furniture and amenities like a refrigerator, coffeemaker and microwave. The free Wi-Fi was fast. The desk was a large workable surface with plenty of light. The TVs were large flat screens in both the living and sleeping area. The bedroom was separated from the living area by a divided bathroom. The sink area had a door to the bedroom and then the shower and toilet area had another door. This allowed for my husband to sleep in because he could not hear me getting ready in the morning. There was a closet in the living area, as well as in the bedroom which also allowed for less noise in the morning. The lobby was newly renovated -- very modern & chic. Free coffee is offered from 6-10 AM, as well as a variety of free newspapers. It was fantastic to have a Starbucks in the hotel as well. The beach is very close and really nice-- the views were fantastic. The hotel is right next to the Boardwalk (which was a disappointment because everything was closed during the week after Labor Day). There are several great restaurants within walking distance (Deck House & Havana were our favorites). Parking is free and convenient. My only complaints were that the entrance is hard to find – it is a little street next to a yellow house (there are no street signs) and the beach towels are very small.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
Tallinn, Estonia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2011

We chose this hotel because of the location and were not disappointed. The beach was great and it was an easy walk to the nearby restaurants. Room was nice, clean and big and with the great view. Staff was very friendly and helpful. But this is all you will get. If you want to feel pampered with the beach towels, bathrobes, pool bar, beach services, in-house restaurant, entertainment, etc. then this hotel is not for you. We probably would stay there again for some weekend because of the location if the price is right.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2011

We stayed here for 4 nights mid August and were very pleased. This was a last minute decision and could not have been a better choice. Every room overlooks the ocean and has a balcony. What a joy when we came back to our room the first night from dinner after a long day of traveling to a perfect view of the moon over the ocean. We were treated to that every night! And sunrise in the morning (the one day we got up to see it). The staff were very helpful and pleasant. We ate breakfast in the little bistro there one day - they have a buffet which was fine- and you can get food all day long. While not gourmet, it is fine to pick up a quick bite. They have refrigerators in the room. The pool seemed very nice and there is a boardwalk. Next to the hotel is a small carnival area for those who want it which I am sure is busier during the summer months. There are umbrella and chair rentals available that are set up on the beach. All you have to do is reserve them and your name is on the chairs when you get there in the morning. Wonderful! We were only planning on staying for 2 days and stayed for 3. There was a discount for 3 days and we could not find the person to give us the discount when we were there. My husband called back after we were home and much to our delight, the credit was on our charge even though they were going through Hurricane Irene! The beach there was beautiful, clean and not crowded. Only a short walk from the hotel. Another delight coming from Jersey with more crowded beaches and longer walks to get down to the shore.
Our only negative was the housekeeping. I was there when they did the rooms and they were quick and not very thorough. The bathrooms were not cleaned as well as I would have liked. In fact, they were barely cleaned at all. We just got new towels and soaps. The only other complaint I might add is the carpet in my sons room. Even my sons noticed it was quite disgusting. While it may have been "clean" it did not have that appearance due to the multiple stains.
Otherwise, great place and we will certainly be going back.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
dannyb33
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2011

My family and I have stayed here the past 4 years and it seems like the service keeps going down. First the Pros: The property is beautiful, with great views of the ocean and quick access to the beach. The pool is clean and large enough for many people. During the summer, on Thursdays, they have fireworks on the beach, right in front of the hotel. The Cons: As I said in the beginning, it seems like the service is going downhill. The restaurant changed to a quick bistro. While I really like the direction they are going in, it was obvious the staff was not trained properly or enough prior to opening the new Bistro. It took me 30 minutes two days in a row to get 2 sandwiches. the second day it was made wrong twice (all I wanted differently was no tomatoes). Towels used to be by the pool, but not any more. they keep them either near the indoor hot tub, or behind the desk inside. This means, if you forgot one, or if its already wet, you have to go back inside the hotel (which requires a key card), to get a new towel...not fun if your wet. they say too many guests are taking them to the beach and leaving them there which is the reason for the change. I had connecting rooms and both rooms had mold/mildew in the showers. They used to have a bar set up by the pool for both alcoholic and non alcoholic drinks. In the past someone would walk up to you every so often and ask if you would like anything, not any more, now they keep it open for what seems like an hour max then shut it down. Also, in the past they would have kids activities, like sand artwork and such. Maybe they still have it but I never saw it the whole week.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Hiltons, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2011

Loved our stay at Courtyard Carolina Beach. We were there 3 nights and had 0 complaints. We have 2 year old twin boys so we got a corner suite. There was enough room for them to run around and not be bored (when we weren't on the beach or in the pool). Each morning our room was thoroughly cleaned. The staff was excellent and answered any questions we had. Location could not be beat. Right on the beach and in the thick of things. Will definitely be back.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
Corbett, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2011

I stayed at the Marriott Courtyard in Carolina Beach, North Carolina for only one night as I was traveling, but the stay made my trip! The property was beautiful, the pool was pristine, and the beach access could not have been better! This hotel has "beachfront" property out the back door. The staff members were always pleasant and helpful. My room was in good working order and extremely comfortable. I love a bed with lots of pillows. I would have thought they knew I was coming! I will certainly plan a return trip in the future.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled solo

Been to Courtyard by Marriott Carolina Beach? Share your experiences!