“Fish Taco” 3 of 5 stars

Dining options: Late Night
Dining options: Late Night
“Fish Taco”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2011

Have had two okay experiences here. Last visit I ordered fish tacos and they were divine. Tasty, fresh, and reasonably priced. My husband got a boiled shrimp bucket which was also good.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

The Southern USA
“Painfully slow service and food was average.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2010

Stayed in Carolina Beach the weekend of Oct. 9&10 and ate at the Sea Witch / Seawitch Cafe. Yet another experience in this town of looks being deceiving (see my review for Havana's. UGH!). Such a lovely patio area and covered yet open-air bar. Lots of room for lost of diners *and* bar patrons without feeling crowded. One block in from oceanfront. Looked like the ideal beach cafe!

So we should have known something was up when we arrived at lunchtime on a Saturday and the place was empty but for one table of 2 people. (Yes, it was off-season, but it was very warm and sunny and the beaches were well-populated.)

No matter, we sat down under a speaker blaring beachy music, ordered from the very small menu and figured since the place was empty and we didn't order anything complicated, we'd be eating in 10 minutes or less.

It was more lik 25 minutes. Remember, the restaurant was 98% EMPTY. You know it's been a while when you start looking at your watch and thinking, "where is our food? we're wasting beach time sitting in here!" The other waiting couple looked baffled too.

When the food finally arrived, the server made no apology. Okay. Son's chicken tenders were average. They looked pale, I wonder whether they were microwaved or baked or something. They came with an enormous mountain of spice-coated fries -- what a waste and so unnecessary for a children's menu item! He wouldn't eat them anyway because of the spicy stuff on them, which I don't believe was listed on the menu, or I'd surely have asked what else they might have for kids.

My husband got a crabcake sandwich and ate about half of it despite being very hungry. He got another mountain of fries. I ordered 2 hotdogs since one hotdog was $7.95 and another one was $1 more, and I love hotdogs! No-brainer, right? Dogs are quick and easy too! Menu promised Nathan's dogs and they were NOT Nathan's dogs. They were big and I think they were all beef, but I know a Nathan's dog when I taste one. These were not. Also, they weren't even grilled. I think they were boiled. GROSS! Who boils hot dogs? My mom did that in the 1970s! Oh, and of course accompanied by yet another mountain of fries. Menu said it would come with chips. If I'd know it would be fries, I'd have told them not to bother.

I ate half of one hot dog and left the other, along with all the fries.

At least it wasn't a $60 mistake like the one we made at Havana's that night. We paid our $28 bill and left shaking our heads and PO'd that we'd wasted almost an hour there. I said to my husband on the way out that I'd have preferred a happy meal from the McDonald's up the block. That's sad but true.

Carolina Beach, North Carolina
“Slowest service on Carolina Beach”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2010

The SWC has alot of potential: good food, live music and nice outdoor space, but the service is horrible. Very slow. Do not go if you are really thirsty or really hungry, because it takes forever, even when they are not busy.