“AKA "The Half-Way House"” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Mermaid Manor

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Carolina Beach
Mermaid Manor
You added Mermaid Manor to your Saves list
308 Carolina Beach Avenue N, Carolina Beach, NC 28428-611   |
Ranked #14 of 17 Hotels in Carolina Beach
Charlottesville, Virginia
“AKA "The Half-Way House"”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2011

Thank goodness my German Shepherd was traveling with me or otherwise I would have been afraid to stay there. In fact, I placed her bed directly in front of the door (which half locked) and made her sleep in front of the door.

Where to begin????? How about the sign in the solvent-smelling entry-way that states the Mermaid Manor is not a party house, no drugs, and no refunds??? The missing DNA, long-term residents that hang out shirtless on the porch drinking beer…..

Here are the facts:
1. The shower had no shower curtain. That didn't matter, however, because the shower was so filthy with mildew, broken tile, and damaged faucets that I would not go near it....
2. The toilet was nasty!!!!
3. The bathroom was located in between the bedroom and living room. The bathroom did not have a sink-- that was located in the bedroom.
4. The living room was furnished with outside lawn furniture.
5. There were two radiator heaters which made me fear for my life as I thought they would overheat.
6. The kitchen area was furnished with “Goodwill” type utensils, plates, and glasses. Just a random assortment of cartoon character and holiday glasses and plates…. The utensils were not clean nor was there a proper storage location—just dirty junk forks and knives stored in a “Care Bears” glass.

Really, the entire room looked as though it had been furnished from rummage sales and the Goodwill. I honestly cannot think of one positive thing to write or a worse place to stay. I laugh about it now but I was not laughing during my stay; I was just hoping to leave without bedbugs or scabies.

Stayed February 2011

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Carrboro, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2011

M.M is ideal for vacationer's who are seeking a place which provides a sense of nostalgia, quaintness and and appreciation for ,simple,green,beauty. The owners priority is to provide a wonderful experience for their guests and pets. Ms. Marvel is very keen to where quality is important ! She has provided comfortable high quality mattresses,which are dressed with linens which are 500 count threading. The towels are plush.Clean towels are provided as frequently as needed. Her retro color scheme offers a feeling of tropical 1940's vacation inn's.the location is within walking distance to the "heart " C. B time here each month during the season, If you are looking for a 15 floor cookie cutter" may-or not be where you wan to spend your vacation. for my family - we would not go any where else !
Lastly , we so enjoy the "MOM' and "POP" service. The Flamingo Pink rocking chairs at the front and back porches,are equal to "Heaven At The Beach"!
TMC&FAMILY
CHAPLE HILL,N,C

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Raleigh
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2010

We took a spur of the moment trip down to the beach, happened to be lucky enough to get the last room @ the Mermaid Manor that night, because we also had two dogs with us. They were even gracious enough to waive the pet fee for that night. The room was comfortable and met our needs. It's right there on the beach which was great, and yes, dogs are allowed this time of year! As with other beaches there are restrictions for dogs during high season, but Carolina Beach north of the pier, is open all year for dogs.

This isn't the Ritz, but it was quaint and nostalgic, being built in 1954, it looks like @ one time it was a one-family beach house. The owners, Pat & Dan, said they were in the middle of renovating the rooms. They even allowed us after check out to stay parked in their lot for no fee, use the beach access, the pool, the outdoor shower, beach chairs, boogie boards, etc, etc. Which was very nice, since check out was @ 11AM and we didn't leave until early evening. Another friend came down for the day and they also let her park in their lot and use the facility. Parking across the street is no big deal; you can unload & load in the driveway.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with friends
tazewell.va
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2010

i dont know who they got to write all this nice wonderful nonsense about this place but i will tell you what i saw with my owne eyes who ever you are you are not telling the truth this place needs to be closed and a pad lock put on the doorhow i wish we could get our money back we were lead to belive just as others fr.the pictures what a great place this was lady if you have any morles you will reinburse me and all the others how can you dothis to your fellow man and sleep at night GOD in the end will prevail one day you will fase up to the great JUDGE do you even know what is going on in that place now to those who say this is such a great place you are nuts and to whom ever put the pics.on how true because my daughter took pics.to under the beds the fan blades the windows and i could go on and onand by the way what happned as you so say on the web page small kitchens joke hot plate not even a chair in room to sit on a lundry tub for a sink joke no mirrow in bath or bed room joke ipots and pans look like you had fride screws and nailes in them when some one rents a room they should non have to clean it before they use it first we get the clorox2 out mnd clean what then we use paper and plastic .help some one please read this and heed do not go there she will take your credit card and will not refund oooo so well sucker got you this is how i see it we who know what ew went thrue need an attorney she needs to learn you dont do people like this well i hope it is stoped soon

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2010

The owner and staff were very nice and extremely helpful. Parking is right across the street, not miles away as previous reviewers have tried to indicate. It is directly on the beach and only a couple of blocks (3 minute walk) from the Boardwalk/Carnival. Amazing time! Great to sit out on the back porch and listen to the waves. Don't have to worry about "closing hours" for pool but also small enough that everyone is respectful. Felt almost like staying in a beach house. Won't ever stay anywhere else in Carolina Beach.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with friends
Huntersville, NC
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2010

First, I've read the other reviews and each had a kernel of truth (except for the one that gave it 5 out of 5 --- what planet are you living on?). There was both good and bad. Here are some of the good points I've captured from my stay:

1. Right on the beach -- Very good location!
2. Neighbors were fairly quiet
3. Dog friendly
4. The on-sight managers were very friendly
5. Not only located on the beach, but had a pool and a balcony overlooking both the pool and the beach
6. Close to the local boardwalk and carnival

But, there were also bad points about the manor. Here are the not-so-pleasant parts of our stay:

1. Room was dirty, smelly, moldy and all of the other ee's that you can think of.
2. Landlord stated that it had a small two burner stove (turned out to be a hot-plate).
3. One sink did not work and the shower was short with hot/cold tendencies
4. On the website, it said it had free WIFI. Well, it was one DSL wireless router in the manager's office. The connection was spotty at best and I think the internet pipe was very small (say around 768kps).
5. Parking was off-site.
6. Air-conditioners were old window units (very noisy)
7. Had cockroaches and wasps in our unit (dead ones now)!
8. Battery was missing from the smoke detector
9. EVERYONE staying there chained smoked! -- I hate smoke!
10. The lodging was pet friendly but, the beach was not.
11. The furniture was very old and had obvious ware.

I'm sorry, I place a high value on cleanliness and value. I will accept a lower cleanliness for a great value, but as it stands, I paid quite a bit to stay at this place. I expected more. I guess that is what you get when you travel with pets. Next time I will board our dog.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
Lynchburg, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2010

The owners were so nice, everyone was nice the people who were doing work there and even down to the guy who cleaned the pool every morning! It was so relaxing,loved that porch! Everything was walking distance,great restaurant across the street! I can't wait to go back again! My dog even loved it!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family

Been to Mermaid Manor? Share your experiences!