“Excellent Expirence” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #11 of 17 Hotels in Carolina Beach
Carolina Beach, North Carolina
“Excellent Expirence”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2011

Not sure why there are so many negative reviews on Drifters Reef. My husband was traveling for business and brought me along. The office staff is awesome, we had a quaint king room, which was roomy and very clean. The only complaint I had is that the housekeeping staff did not make the bed or clean the room, during our 3 day stay. We were provided with clean towels though.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Leasburg, North Carolina
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2011

I will never stay here again. The management was awful and rude, the rooms were a mess, and there were more bugs than should ever be allowed for a running motel.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
Denver, Colorado
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2011

My husband and I stayed at the Drifter's Reef last September around Labor Day. The location was great, within walking distance to the beach. However, it's obvious that the owner of this motel doesn't put any money into it. The bed was in desperate need of replacement. My back was killing me every morning when I woke up. The sheets appeared clean, but had cigarette burns in them and the comforter. The bathroom was clean, but the bath towels were the size of hand towels. I wasn't expecting anything fancy, but full size towels would have been nice. After we had been there for a few days a family that had like 8 kids arrived and stayed in the room above us. They looked like they were homeless. Needless to say, we will not be staying at the Drifter's Reef in the future. We probably would have been better off staying at Microtel or paying more for a nicer place.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Raleigh, North Carolina
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2011

This so called Motel is a joke. the homeless shelter or your local pound has better conditions than this. These people with the exception of Danny are a sad group of people. The rooms are deplorable. Filth just pure T filth. Leigh Ann the owner is nothing but a slum lord making her money sitting back getting wealthy off of people that have pets. She knows that Drifter's Reef is the only place on Carolina Beach you can take you pets and she plays that to the max.. She spends no money for renovations. Jail has to be cleaner and smell better than this place. I can't imagine the health department lets her stay in business. The pool is so cloudy you can't see the main drain. That is conditions to close the pool. God bless the people that work here. I respect them to at least work. People please think about it before you spend your money to stay at such a place.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Sanford, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2011

A girlfriend and I decided to get away for the weekend and ended up at the Drifter's Reef. Prices were the best we found at the beach, although it is not beach front (there are many public beach access areas with parking nearby).

Room was not as clean as I like, BUT I am a bit of a germaphobe, so that may be a factor. We did really enjoy our stay, though. Great location within walking distance of the boardwalk which we really enjoyed! The exterior and lobby of this hotel are absolutely adorable and the staff was great! The pool needed cleaning the second day, but they had great music playing out there all day!

For us, two ladies (me mid-20's my friend early 20's) we felt safe and really had a great time. There is a bar/grill/high speed go kart track next door that you get 10% off your bill for staying at the hotel, but unfortunately they opened on the day we left. I will be back!!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
Rockwell, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2011

Took Mom and my family to the Drifters Reef Motel for Mothers Day Weekend and Mom was so happy to be at the beach and be with all of the family, but most of all she was treated like a Queen at the Motel. They are pet friendly so she got to bring her little poodle with her, that made her so happy. The motel was centrally located so we were able to walk to the beach , shops and The Boardwalk. Everybody there was so nice and made us feel like family.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
Hendersonville, North Carolina
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2011

Reserved motel for 3 nights, after paying went to room and the bed was broke and the room was dirty and smelly. We asked for our money back, but was refused they said they would move us to another room instead. We looked at the new room and the bed was not broke but it smelled like cigarettes and urine, the floor was not swept, sheets was dirty and looked like they were never changed. Owner refused to give us our money back!!

Room Tip: ask to inspect room before paying