“Big Rip Off!!! Do not go here!!!” 1 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #2 of 3 Attractions in Canton
Type: Mines, Adventure
“Big Rip Off!!! Do not go here!!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2014 NEW

Went to the Old Pressley Sapphire mine 7/27/14.
The location is very had to find and you will tear up your vehicle if you have anything less than an SUV getting there.
Now while I realize this is in the NC mountains the set-up was very depressing and not very professional. We were with our kids so we decided to stay and give it a shot.
After mining our stones we took them inside to be appraised for cutting. We were told we had several stones worth cutting and we decided to have four cut (3 10k stones and 1 5k stone).
We paid $210.00 to have these cut in addition to the cost to mine these gems. They will not cut them while you are in town stating they have a backlog and it would be 12 weeks. After receiving our stones some 14 weeks later it was clear to see why...no one would ever pay for these stones if they saw them first!!!! My stones are all the same size and I am no jewelry expert but no way are these close to even 5k....they are the size of match heads!!! Not useful for anything!!! If you must mine then take your stones home and invest in a rock tumbler. The end result will be the same.

Visited July 2014

Waynesville, North Carolina
“My sister and i paid up front for stones to be cut and mounted ...16 weeks ago”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2014

I am very disappointed. We had a great time and the owners were there helping us. We both found some great stones and against my husband's wishes paid to have the stones cut and mounted by the jeweler. Everytime I call she tells me another 2 weeks.

Visited July 2014
Bethlehem, United States
“16 weeks waiting for stones cut and mounted paid up front .”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2014

My husband and myself went on our anniversary. Terrible dirt roads to travel on to get there.muddy. Run down shack.. Recommended by Dennis at the visitor center in Maggie Valley. I guess we just lost our money we paid up front . We highly do not recommend them to any one.

Visited June 2014
Georgia
24 attraction reviews
“Good Experience for Kids”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2014

Typical public "mining" operation with water slew and screening boxes for washing away the dirt. $20 for a small bucket, $50 for a large bucket, $25 per day to dig your own dirt. Sapphires are generally found, size and grades vary widely. Best aspect of the visit might be when you get George McCannon, the owner, to chat about his mine and daily work at the mine - fascinating, indeed. Very knowledgable about sapphires, mining, and other operations around the area.

Visited October 2014
Kitty Hawk, North Carolina
“Sluicing for Sapphires”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2014

We found some very large clusters of sapphires. Since we are a family of 5 we decided to purchase the large $50 bucket and sluice. We decided to leave one of the clusters that held the possibility of 30-35 carats of star sapphires. Be prepared for two things first you are going to find rough stones that need to be cut and polished. The second thing the road is barely passable for a car you need higher ground clearance of an SUV or truck. I will update this post when we receive our cut and polished sapphires in 6-8 weeks.

Visited August 2014