“The perfect place for a kick-back family reunion getaway - horses, fine food and friendly folk!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Pisgah View Ranch

You added Pisgah View Ranch to your Saves list
Pisgah View Ranch
70 Pisgah View Ranch Road, Candler, NC 28715   |
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Candler
Certificate of Excellence 2014
San Francisco
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2009

This place is FANTASTIC!!!!! We've been coming here for years for an annual August family reunion with four families and kids ranging in age from very young toddlers, to teenagers and the college set -- and there's always something for everyone.

Mark and Hannah are now at the helm and have spruced up the Pisgah View experience... great horse trails wind through the 2500 acre property with safe, gentle horses and experienced guides so the whole family can ride.

The 2009 addition of Chef Dan (formerly of Key West fame) adds an upscale gourmet element to the traditional southern-style menu that is a welcome upgrade, including fresh vegetables from the garden, gourmet delights, and a Key Lime Pie that has made Gourmet Magazine sit up and take notice.

New additions to the activity board, campfire cookouts, cowboy shoot outs, live music, a refreshing pool, and a slow, casual pace of life make this North Carolina retreat a real destination station.

Wireless internet in the main ranch house allows you to plug in or check the golf scores, if you must... otherwise, bring your stompin' boots, a good book, a love of Bluegrass music and the smell of fresh mountain air and get set for a hidden treat. Kick back on the one of the screened in porches or sit a spell in the rocking chair, and you'll soon see as we do the magic that is Pisgah View Ranch. Well worth the drive from Charlotte, Asheville or a flight in from California or New York. What a gem, we've already booked for next year!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2009

I stayed at the Pisgah View Ranch with my nieces and nephew for 5 days in July. We parked the car and never had to go anywhere else. My nephew has a severe peanut butter allergy which they accommodated very well. We went horse back riding, hiking, played in the creeks and swam in the pool several times a day. There is entertainment every night, we loved dancing to country music on Mondays, seeing Cowboy Action Shooters on Wednesday night and enjoyed ourselves every day! The cabins and houses are very comfortable and beautiful. They are nestled in the trees and by streams. I loved not having to cook or do dishes, the food is great. This is a great place to stay with your family and unwind. Asheville is nearby to shop in and explore if you want to go there also.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2009

When I was gushing about my great stay at Pisgah View to one of the managers, he summed it up by saying, "We have great beds, great horses, and great food." That's exactly right.

The cabins have old-fashioned (think 1970s, not Victorian) decor, but are scrupulously clean. Mine had obviously new linens and shower curtain. My cabin was right across from the barn, and I was able to sit on the porch in the evening and watch the horses. I had a parking spot right next to the cabin, which I would have appreciated even more if I'd had my family with me.

I only stayed one night, but was able to ride twice. My horse was perfect for me. I have some experience, but haven't ridden in a long time. My horse was perfectly gentle, but not exhausted and brain-dead as some of the horses I've ridden on trail rides at other places have been. There were two 7-year-old girls one one of the trail rides with me--first-time riders--and they had no trouble controlling their docile, friendly horses. The wranglers were able to give us all tips without being condescending.

For dinner, we had a cookout while being entertained by a folk singer. Both food and music were excellent! The staff was so friendly that I didn't feel at all out of place, even though I was the only solo traveler staying at the ranch.

The scenery is breathtaking. The mountains are gorgeous and the woods magical. The location deep in a valley did mean that I couldn't get cell reception, but there is a phone in the main house that guests are welcome to use, even for long distance calls.

I can hardly wait to visit again. Next time, I'll bring my family. We have always wanted to go to a dude ranch, but most of the ranches I've found online are a)in the West (naturally); b) very expensive; and c) only available for week-long stays. Pisgah View is closer to us, less expensive, and available for shorter stays. We hope to visit next summer!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled solo
missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2009

we were extremely pleased with our stay at the ranch,the location was great and the scenery was breath taking. our host treated us with respect and seemed eager to please. the food was fantastic and served in a family atmosphere which we all loved.
after returning home i read some of the reviews and was surpised to find negative ones.
the wranglers were very good and will give you a horse to fit your riding experience if you are honest with them. our trip to the ranch was for my wifes birthday and she loved it.
if your looking for a great dude ranch at a reasonable price this is it.
we hated to leave. we came as guest, and left as friends.
tim and angel mo.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
knoxville TN
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2009

If the old saying that the good guys "wear the white hats".. then order another dozen for the Pisgah View Ranch. We had spent many family vacations and reunions over the past 25 years, and returned after years of absence to find the property as charming, beautiful and special as ever. Added to the natural beauty are the team assembled by Mark and Hanna, the current managers for the founding family. They make you feel more then welcome, and it is easy to become a part of their family, or, as we did, invite them to join yours. Memories abound here.. and new ones are easily formed. This is indeed a special place with special people. Bring your white hat and join the crowd!!!!

Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Jacksonville, FL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2009

We returned today from our week-long stay at the Pisgah View Ranch. I'd read many of the negative reviews before our departure, and was sufficiently nervous that I brought extra sheets in case my in-laws, who were hosting us, were dissatisfied with theirs.

To be honest, I'm accustomed to staying in much more elegant accommodations--there's no question the cabins are merely basic and serviceable--but I must say, we've rarely enjoyed a family trip more (and we've had several over the years to far more glamorous places, including last year's humdinger of a cruise to the Cayman Islands, Honduras and Belize). Personally, I think you need at least a couple of days to settle into the unique peace and beauty of Pisgah View Ranch.

Some things are evident from the outset--such as Chef Dan's abundant and sinfully delicious food--but others grow on you quietly, such as the easy hospitality of ranch managers Hannah and Mark, the watchful but light-handed guidance of horse wranglers Russ and Matt, and the pleasures of fishing in a pond where every blue gill and bass has already been caught a thousand times. We enjoyed the evening activities--blue grass bands, square dancing, bonfires, exhibition shooting--but they were only one element of the overall experience. Watching our children gain confidence on horses was amazing, feeling confident in their safety as they independently roamed the ranch was welcome, and realizing they didn't touch a television all week was the biggest miracle of all. The fact that all this was taking place on a ranch owned by the same family for the last 200 years only added to my pleasure.

Do some things need updating? Sure. Would it seem overpriced if you were just there for a night? I suspect so, since it's a place that needs to grow on you because its pleasures are more subtle than a price tag. But when, as we were leaving, we asked our (finicky) nine-year-old twins what they liked best, their answers were clear and unequivocal: Everything.

And, speaking for the 7 adults and one teenager in our party, I'd have to agree.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2009

I just returned from my annual vacation to the ranch. Like many guests, I have been returning for many years. If you love the country, natural beauty, wonderful food, simple but gracious hospitality - Pisgah is for you. Nothing fancy, rather very rustic. .

The ranch sits on 2000 acres of mountains meadows, fields and is nestled in a valley below Mt. Pisgah in western North Carolina. Family run, it is unique in all the world. You can hike, ride horseback, swim, play shuffle board, enjoy incredible southern style meals prepared by world class chef Dan or just relax in a rocking chair on the porch of your log cabin. After guests finish dinner each evening, they proceed to the barn for entertainment (blue grass music, clogging, etc.) or a walk around the "loop." Wonderful new frienships are made over meals served "country style" in the farm house dining room. Once a week, guests are treated to a "cook out" and bond fire down by the lake.

Ranch managers Mark and Hanna go out of their way to provide wonderful and friendly southern hospitality. The ranch is family owned and very family friendly. There are no phones or televisions in the cabins. However, these ammenities can be found in the "Pisgah Room" which is also located in the farm house adjacent to the dining room..

Before leaving the ranch on my last visit, I made reservations for another trip this year and one next year. I continually reecommend this destination to friends who seek an escape from the urban/suburban rat race.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled on business

Been to Pisgah View Ranch? Share your experiences!