“Can hardly wait to go back” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Pisgah View Ranch

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Candler
Pisgah View Ranch
You added Pisgah View Ranch to your Saves list
70 Pisgah View Ranch Road, Candler, NC 28715   |
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Candler
Pennsylvania
“Can hardly wait to go back”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2009

When I was gushing about my great stay at Pisgah View to one of the managers, he summed it up by saying, "We have great beds, great horses, and great food." That's exactly right.

The cabins have old-fashioned (think 1970s, not Victorian) decor, but are scrupulously clean. Mine had obviously new linens and shower curtain. My cabin was right across from the barn, and I was able to sit on the porch in the evening and watch the horses. I had a parking spot right next to the cabin, which I would have appreciated even more if I'd had my family with me.

I only stayed one night, but was able to ride twice. My horse was perfect for me. I have some experience, but haven't ridden in a long time. My horse was perfectly gentle, but not exhausted and brain-dead as some of the horses I've ridden on trail rides at other places have been. There were two 7-year-old girls one one of the trail rides with me--first-time riders--and they had no trouble controlling their docile, friendly horses. The wranglers were able to give us all tips without being condescending.

For dinner, we had a cookout while being entertained by a folk singer. Both food and music were excellent! The staff was so friendly that I didn't feel at all out of place, even though I was the only solo traveler staying at the ranch.

The scenery is breathtaking. The mountains are gorgeous and the woods magical. The location deep in a valley did mean that I couldn't get cell reception, but there is a phone in the main house that guests are welcome to use, even for long distance calls.

I can hardly wait to visit again. Next time, I'll bring my family. We have always wanted to go to a dude ranch, but most of the ranches I've found online are a)in the West (naturally); b) very expensive; and c) only available for week-long stays. Pisgah View is closer to us, less expensive, and available for shorter stays. We hope to visit next summer!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2009

we were extremely pleased with our stay at the ranch,the location was great and the scenery was breath taking. our host treated us with respect and seemed eager to please. the food was fantastic and served in a family atmosphere which we all loved.
after returning home i read some of the reviews and was surpised to find negative ones.
the wranglers were very good and will give you a horse to fit your riding experience if you are honest with them. our trip to the ranch was for my wifes birthday and she loved it.
if your looking for a great dude ranch at a reasonable price this is it.
we hated to leave. we came as guest, and left as friends.
tim and angel mo.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
knoxville TN
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2009

If the old saying that the good guys "wear the white hats".. then order another dozen for the Pisgah View Ranch. We had spent many family vacations and reunions over the past 25 years, and returned after years of absence to find the property as charming, beautiful and special as ever. Added to the natural beauty are the team assembled by Mark and Hanna, the current managers for the founding family. They make you feel more then welcome, and it is easy to become a part of their family, or, as we did, invite them to join yours. Memories abound here.. and new ones are easily formed. This is indeed a special place with special people. Bring your white hat and join the crowd!!!!

Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Jacksonville, FL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2009

We returned today from our week-long stay at the Pisgah View Ranch. I'd read many of the negative reviews before our departure, and was sufficiently nervous that I brought extra sheets in case my in-laws, who were hosting us, were dissatisfied with theirs.

To be honest, I'm accustomed to staying in much more elegant accommodations--there's no question the cabins are merely basic and serviceable--but I must say, we've rarely enjoyed a family trip more (and we've had several over the years to far more glamorous places, including last year's humdinger of a cruise to the Cayman Islands, Honduras and Belize). Personally, I think you need at least a couple of days to settle into the unique peace and beauty of Pisgah View Ranch.

Some things are evident from the outset--such as Chef Dan's abundant and sinfully delicious food--but others grow on you quietly, such as the easy hospitality of ranch managers Hannah and Mark, the watchful but light-handed guidance of horse wranglers Russ and Matt, and the pleasures of fishing in a pond where every blue gill and bass has already been caught a thousand times. We enjoyed the evening activities--blue grass bands, square dancing, bonfires, exhibition shooting--but they were only one element of the overall experience. Watching our children gain confidence on horses was amazing, feeling confident in their safety as they independently roamed the ranch was welcome, and realizing they didn't touch a television all week was the biggest miracle of all. The fact that all this was taking place on a ranch owned by the same family for the last 200 years only added to my pleasure.

Do some things need updating? Sure. Would it seem overpriced if you were just there for a night? I suspect so, since it's a place that needs to grow on you because its pleasures are more subtle than a price tag. But when, as we were leaving, we asked our (finicky) nine-year-old twins what they liked best, their answers were clear and unequivocal: Everything.

And, speaking for the 7 adults and one teenager in our party, I'd have to agree.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2009

I just returned from my annual vacation to the ranch. Like many guests, I have been returning for many years. If you love the country, natural beauty, wonderful food, simple but gracious hospitality - Pisgah is for you. Nothing fancy, rather very rustic. .

The ranch sits on 2000 acres of mountains meadows, fields and is nestled in a valley below Mt. Pisgah in western North Carolina. Family run, it is unique in all the world. You can hike, ride horseback, swim, play shuffle board, enjoy incredible southern style meals prepared by world class chef Dan or just relax in a rocking chair on the porch of your log cabin. After guests finish dinner each evening, they proceed to the barn for entertainment (blue grass music, clogging, etc.) or a walk around the "loop." Wonderful new frienships are made over meals served "country style" in the farm house dining room. Once a week, guests are treated to a "cook out" and bond fire down by the lake.

Ranch managers Mark and Hanna go out of their way to provide wonderful and friendly southern hospitality. The ranch is family owned and very family friendly. There are no phones or televisions in the cabins. However, these ammenities can be found in the "Pisgah Room" which is also located in the farm house adjacent to the dining room..

Before leaving the ranch on my last visit, I made reservations for another trip this year and one next year. I continually reecommend this destination to friends who seek an escape from the urban/suburban rat race.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled on business
atlanta
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2008

We were a group of 7 ( 3 adults and 4 kids) expecting to have fun relaxing and enjoying some scenic trail rides. But, our experience was quite different!! We stayed in an old cabin that was okay and clean. We found most of the amenities to be run down and in need of repair (pool, tennis, game room, etc). The food was barely acceptable. Several main meals were served without any meat and the promised chocolate chip cookies were gone our first day. Then there were the infamous trail rides! It is obvious the horses were totally inexperienced as were the guides. Out of 4 trail rides, only one was successfully completed. Spooked horses, kids and adults thrown from their horses, two riders taken to the emergency room of the nearest hospital, cuts, injured back, bruises were the norm for the remaining 3 trail rides. The result was 3 kids who will never ride a horse again because of their terrorizing experience!! On the positive side, the staff was very friendly and helpful and probably did as good a job as possible considering what they had to work with.

• Liked — friendly staff
  • Disliked — food and horses
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
PisgahViewRanch, Managers at Pisgah View Ranch, responded to this review, January 28, 2009
First off, we would like to say that our horses are extremely gentle and safe. We assign people to horses depending on what they say their riding levels are. When dealing with horses, unfortunately accidents can happen. We have really great wranglers who are well trained so that we can keep accidents low. With our meals, we prepare them for a balanced diet of each food group with a meat product being part of the center item. We also strive to meet everyone's needs such as allergies or different ways of eating, like a vegetarian style. The management and all our staff eat every meal that is served to our guests, so i can assure you that our meals are very delicious our they wouldn't be on our menu. Unfortunately though we can't always please every guest, but our staff always trys to meet our guests needs.
Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2008

Upon arriving at Pisgah View Ranch, we were first amazed at the breath taking scenery. The moment you pull into the Ranch you feel you have arrived at a true Dude Ranch. With horses on the right and a pond on the left.

The historical Ranch house takes you back in time and the managers do an excellent job keeping the theme alive through the decor, food and activities.

Our first night, we enjoyed a BBQ cookout, a campfire with smores, and a competitive game of volleyball. The next morning we headed to breakfast upon the ringing of the rustic bell. The food was great! There was something for everyone, including two picky little eaters.

Throughout our stay,we enjoyed a family horse back ride through the mountains. The guide was very helpful, especially with our 5 year old. We enjoyed the ride and were able to see some amazing nature! In the afternoon, the managers generously offered their fishing poles to the kids & showed us around the nature center.

As parents, we loved the step back in time from the original cabins with fireplaces, the history of the Ranch, the breathtaking views, and the extras that the staff so willingly provided to our family. Our kids were able to enjoy slowing down, and feeling like they too were welcome on the "real live dude ranch." They enjoyed feeding the goats and chickens, riding the horses and romping around.

This was a wonderful, relaxing family experience! We can't wait to go back!

• Liked — Everything
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Pisgah View Ranch? Share your experiences!