“Well Worth It!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Pisgah View Ranch

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Candler
Pisgah View Ranch
You added Pisgah View Ranch to your Saves list
70 Pisgah View Ranch Road, Candler, NC 28715   |
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Candler
Asheville, North Carolina
“Well Worth It!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013

I recently surprised my wife on her birthday with a night at the Pisgah View Ranch. We stayed in one of the log cabins (Dogwood) and found it to be clean and well furnished with a great front porch complete with rocking chairs and tables. The first day we went hiking on "Mary's Trail" and picked wild black berries and raspberries along the way. We then visited the original 1790 ranch cabin which now serves as a museum. That evening we had a great dinner, served family style, seated with some very nice guests from Atlanta and California. The rash of thunderstorms we have been having interrupted our after supper swim and the campfire activities but the staff fired up the fireplace in the ranch house so the young guests could still make their smores. After a good nights rest, we went on the late morning (10:30 a.m.) ride along with the same folks we had dinner with the night before. The horses were great and the trails were beautiful The ranch offers two morning rides and two afternoon rides to accommodate the schedules of the guests. Even if you don't ride horses, there is a lot to do at this beautiful ranch getaway (check out all the amenities at their website). I heard that the Pisgah View Ranch was once the premier place to visit in WNC, with lines of locals standing outside on Sundays just to have lunch there, until the owner died and the ranch fell into disrepair under the management of someone outside the Davis/Cogburn family. Now that the Cogburn family is again directly involved in the day to day running of the ranch, I feel confident that the ranch (open to the public in 1941) will be operating for many, many years to come. Also, Cindy Cogburn and the rest of the staff, including the cook, waitress and wranglers are very friendly. If you want a dude ranch experience and don't have the time or finances to travel to AZ, TX, NM or other place out west, or if you are just looking for a quiet getaway, I think you will enjoy this ranch.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Beaufort, South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

I want to start by saying as you are reading reviews, be sure to look at the date of the review. Many of the poor reviews are from 4 or 5 years ago.

We got home from the ranch today, and we had an amazing time. We do weekend trips every couple of months with our children ages 7 and 9 , and PVR is at the top of my list, overall our favorite trip yet!!

I could not write a review without mentioning the food, WOW!!!! Amazingly fresh, cooked to perfection, and soooooooo MUCH!!!

The wranglers (Carolyn and Susanne) were fantastic. Our family, aged 7-60, had not previously ridden horses and they had us on amazing hour long trail rides within an hour of checking in. We really got to know and love our horses and the wranglers.

The people are Sooo accommodating. Regardless of where you are in the ranch their is an employee around who will share a story, give advice, or just sit down to chat. Tea and lemonade are available upon request at all hours of the day and the nights are filled with campfires, s'mores, storytelling, line dancing, and singing.

The ranch is rustic, it is a ranch, not a 5 star hotel, but that was exactly what we expected! We slept great at night in the Sunrise cabin and we played all day. We cannot wait to go back next fall to see the leaves in color!!

Wilmington, North Carolina, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

We took our 3 granddaughters and 1 niece to Pisgah View. What a great time!
We loved our cabin (Sunrise) and we loved the Cogburns. They made us feel like family.
The horseback riding was so much fun! The staff did a great job in ensuring that our children had good horses, good trail rides in a very safe manner.
Then there was the food......the food is wonderful. All of us felt the meals were awesome, even our pickiest eater...who asked for apple cobbler, without the cobbler...which they brought her!
The swimming pool, shuffleboard court, game room, campfires with S'mores and guitar music...heavenly.
The location is so pretty...with lovely hiking trails all over the property.
The trails for the horseback rides are also very lovely.
We will definitely be back....our grandchildren are already asking when! My niece has already asked my sister if she will take her back, too!

Mebane, North Carolina
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013

Out of all the vacations I have been on this was the most HORRIBLE I have ever been on. First of all the cabin reaked of mold, it was horrible. My daughter and I were both sick all night. We had to leave the bathroom door closed because it smelt just like urine. The beds were so old they had imprints from the guests who have stayed in the past. The game room floor was soaking wet you couldn't even get in it to play anything and even if you could the pool sticks had hardly no tips on the ends of them. The ping pong table was warped. There is ABSOLUTELY nothing I can say good about this place. It was a run down DUMP!!!!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
PisgahViewRanch, Owner at Pisgah View Ranch, responded to this review, July 8, 2013
We take our guest’s concerns very seriously. I had an inspector go to your cabin in order to address the issues you raised. They did not detect any odor other than dampness that is a result of the historical levels of rain (22 inches above average/9 inches in the last week) that has flooded the region. They also examined the beds that are overlaid with feather-beds. Feather-beds provide a soft comfortable cushion, and where most of our guests find them comfortable to lay on, we realize that opinions may vary.
There was water on the floor of the game room, a result of rainwater running down the sloped walkway into the room, due once again to the tremendous amount of rain.
This was a particularly rainy week and weekend along the Eastern U.S. and we realize it dampened spirits and limited outdoor activities. We're sorry you left without notice, and wish you had come forward and brought your concerns to us during your stay so that we would have had an opportunity to address them at that time.
Zephyrhills
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

We had a family reunion at this location. We had 108 people in attendance and everyone had a fabulous time. The owners and staff could not have done anything more to make our experience a great time for all. I know my family will be scheduling our reunions here for years to come.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Durham, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

My family began going to PVR in the mid-80s-early 90s. The younger granddaughter celebrated her first six birthdays there. I don't believe it was called a "dude" ranch then. I can't speak for the current staff/service but back then it was really good. Sure you saw a few bugs but you were surrounded by woods. The cabins were cleaned every day and they are old but that's part of the rustic charm. Staff consisted of the family (Miss Ruby was there), and locals prepared the good fresh southern food (no chef). Boxed lunches were prepared if you were leaving for the day. We enjoyed horseback rides and my two granddaughters fell in love with horses there and continued lessons and competition at home. Evening events in the barn loft included clogging, square dancing, music groups, a magician, and bingo (I still have two Rubby dollars). There was a long row of chairs between the main house and museum where you could sit and read, meet people, or just enjoy the view. I would not care for the rifles/guns events. I just can't see that this activity has a place in a family vacation setting, especially putting guns into the hands ofchildren. I was prompted to write this review as my daughter and son-in-law are at the ranch this week, and I look forward to hearing how their experience compares to 20 years ago, and perhaps post their review.

Room Tip: We liked being near the stable (wih a screened-in porch), but stayed in several cabins over the year...