“Pleasantly surprised. Simple, but nice and clean” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Days Inn Asheville West

You added Days Inn Asheville West to your Saves list
Days Inn Asheville West
2.0 of 5 Motel   |   2551 Smoky Park Highway, I-40, Exit 37, Candler, NC 28715   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Plan Ahead and Save 15%
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Candler
North Carolina
“Pleasantly surprised. Simple, but nice and clean”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2008

We wanted to see Asheville and Western NC for the Memorial Day weekend. This motel was offering very low rates, so we decided we would try it out at least one day. The staff was friendly upon our arrival, and let us see the room before we checked in. Everything was nice and clean. The room smelled good, and everything was in great working condition. The receptionist mentioned they had recently made some renovations. We ended up staying the 3 nights of our Asheville stay. The motel is about 15 minutes from downtown Asheville, so we drove everyday, but saved a lot of money and had a good night's sleep every night.

• Liked — It was a great value.
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
NW North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2008

My husband and I needed a room for the night after our train ride on the GSMR. I was able to pay for the room at Days Inn around 9:45 in the morning to assure we had a room after our trip. The staff was VERY nice. Our room was extremely clean and well-furnished. We were treated to supper and breakfast, all included in the price for our room. Using a discount coupon from Room Saver, we were VERY well pleased with the rate we got. Every room includes a microwave and a refrigerator, TV with cable, iron and board, coffee maker, hair dryer......all you need to make your stay comfortable. The bed was comfortable and the pillows were nice and fluffy. Clean carpet too. This is a quiet place to stay, even though I-40 runs nearby. If you stay on the side opposite the interstate, it is very peaceful and quiet. I look forward to staying here again.

• Liked — staff friendliness, cleanliness, price
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Lake City
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2008

Thank you for the renovation. I have stayed at this property 3 or 4 times a year while working in the area for several years. I am happy to see new granite vanities, furniture, new walk ways ect. Johhny and Marise where a huge help to our crew and made sure everything was enjoyable. We sure do like the free supper served every night and the new owners.
Stan

• Liked — clean and friendly
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Greensboro
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2007

My husband and I decided on a last minute get-away for our anniversary and unfortunately for us, the hotels in Asheville were booked. We found this Days Inn on the Internet and thought that, since it is a chain, it must have a minimum standard of safety and cleanliness. Wrong! The exterior was crumbling. The walkway on the third floor actually had potholes right in front of the stairway where you could easily trip and fall down the staircase. We weren’t happy about that but decided to overlook the decrepit condition of the hotel.
But the worst was when we woke up in the morning, my husband saw blood splots on the sheets. We picked up the sheets and saw bugs. We then picked up the mattress and saw MANY bugs. The beds were infested with bedbugs! I came home with at least 50-100 bites that became big red and itchy for at least a week. We looked up bed bugs on the Internet and discovered that if you bring them home to your house, you will have a big headache – they are impossible to get rid of. People end up throwing away their beds and furniture just to get rid of them. Our happy last minute getaway has turned out to be a nightmare. And the owners have been completely uncooperative concerning this problem.

• Liked — The place had bed bugs. There is nothing to like about that.
  • Disliked — As mentioned, the hotel has bed bugs and I came home with 50-100 bed bug bites. We saw the bugs, we took photos of the bugs and yet the owners have denied having a problem. They should be making every effort to assure that guests at their hotel are not hosts to an army of bugs crawling on them while they sleep. Also, since bed bugs are such a horrible problem, every effort should be made to prevent the spread of bed bugs. It is unconscionable for the owners to allow this problem to spread. When we complained at the front desk that there were bugs in the bed, the receptionist said, "Oh bedbugs." They knew about the problem and still allowed us to sleep in an infested bed and to possibly bring that scourge home with us. With such an attitude towards the traveling public, this place should be shut down until they clean up their hotel.
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
fossildoctor, General Manager at Days Inn Asheville West, responded to this review, January 15, 2008
We are deeply sorry that this customer had a bad experience at some point in his travels with bed bugs. I can assure you that it was not at the Days Inn West. We have documentation from the health department that there was no evedence of bed bugs in the room in question. Once again we are sorry about the guests experience but can assure everyone that the Days Inn West in Candler does NOT have bed bugs.
adelaide, australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2007

Our party of six needed 3 rooms near Canton, so we settled for the Days Inn, which is in North Candler, just outside Canton. After phoning ahead and spending 15 minutes on the phone talking the reception through exactly what type of rooms we required (and being assured that we would get them) we arrived to find we had been allocated king beds instead of the requested two doubles each. It took ten minutes of persuasion before they would consider giving us what we had originally booked, even though they had the rooms available. I gather the king rooms were $20 a night more expensive. During the booking in process they failed to mention that they had a problem with their water, which was full of mud. We didn't find that out til we went to take a shower and a torrent of rust colored liquid
poured out of the showerhead. Naturally, making a coffee in our room was out of the question as the water was undrinkable. The receptionists response? "It's been bad for days now, if you want water for coffee you can always drive up to the truckstop and buy some". This was at 11 o'clock at night. Oh yeah, and although the maids cleaned the rooms during the day and took away all the towels, they failed to leave any clean ones. On days two and three we when we
got in from sightseeing we'd have to traipse down to reception and pick some up. Call me nitpicking, but it was just another thing that got under my skin. The other guests seemed all to be construction workers, all of whom wore hobnailed boots judging from the noise of their feet as they paced the rooms above ours til 1 in the morning.
Did I mention the trucker and what appeared to be a lady of the night
who struck a deal right outside our door before disappearing upstairs
(where we were later entertained to the sounds of a fist fight between two guys). The rooms themselves were acceptable and the beds were comfortable, but the service and the clientele made the place totally unacceptable to me for any future visits. I wish we'd booked out after the first night, but we kept telling ourselves things would
get better (they never did). I would never stay in a Days Inn again. However, if you want to stay somewhere where the women staff have homemade tattoo's on their hands then head right on down to the Days Inn at North Candler, NC.

nd
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2007

When I arrived in Asheville I rented a car from Avis. They didn't give good directions to the hotel. I finally got to the motel. Its 12 miles from Asheville. At first I thought I was in the middle of nowhere becasue its on the outskirts of Candler. Appearances are deceiving. The staff here is very friendly and helpful. Need soemthing? Just ask and they will help you. They have a contential breakfast plus beans/rice for supper. This place is quiet, on the edge of town but easy access to Asheville and the surrounding area. I thouroughly enjoyed my stay here.

• Liked — It was a quiet place even though it was just of I-40
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2007

At our Jan 2007 stay we experienced a pleasant atmosphere, nice helpful staff and clean room and facility. We would stay here again when we are in the area. All our needs were met and we enjoyed the breakfast and supper, what other motel provides supper as well as breakfast. I would very much like a copy of the New Orleans supper if possible. I read the review titled Nasty and do not agree at all. Thank you, Karen and Robert
chnkymnky57@aol.com: if you could send the recipe

• Liked — pleasant place
  • Stayed January 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Days Inn Asheville West? Share your experiences!