“We love it.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Mountain Springs Cabins

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Candler
Mountain Springs Cabins
You added Mountain Springs Cabins to your Saves list
27 Emmas Cove Rd, Candler, NC 28715 ‎   |
Special Offer
It's Cold Outside Package
jagger21212121
“We love it.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2009

My wife and I found out about this place just through a random web search. Our cabin, number 9, was one of the smaller cabins and was just perfect for my wife and I. We arrived and were greeted by Kate, the owner, who was very friendly and helpful. She gave us many great suggestions for restaurants. The grounds are beautiful, and there was a stream than ran beside our cabin that was so peaceful to listen to at night and flowers everywhere. It was obvious that the grounds keeper has a passion for what they do. We bumped in to Kate, the owner, when we were walking around for exercise and she went out of her way to suggest cool things to do, give us videos to borrow and watch and free popcorn (on the one night it rained while we were there), and just overall gave really excellent service. It is not too far from Asheville so we were able to get to Asheville in a short time, and also to go up to Pisgah Inn to eat at the restaurant at the top of the mountain peaks that had beautiful views. My wife and I can not wait to go back. It was a great romantic getaway for us. I have already recommended it to several friends and shown the pictures of how beautiful it was.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
Charlotte, NC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2009

Our family has a reunion in a different location every year. (10 different families in our group) This year it was my turn to have that tedious task of finding just the right place that everyone would love. Not something I looked forward to, as trying to please everyone is not easy. I know we had allot of complaints a few years ago when my sister had to find a place.

Well, I found the place I wanted right off, but still took plenty of time and did all my homework, remember all the grief sis got. Mountain Springs was my choice. Hands down. And I am happy to report there was not a complaint in the bunch!! I was the man of the day!!!

This quite little spot with just 13 or 14 cabins is tucked back in a little mountain cove just a few miles from Asheville. We found it easy (especially with the help of the staff) to get from out little hid-a-way to great restaurants, The Biltmore, Chimney Rock, The Smokies and even to places like Grandfather Mountain were just a short dive away.

There were so many places we wanted to see, as a large group and then some places we went just as individual families. I don't think we could have found a more centrally located place to stay.

Some cabins were small, which worked out well for the singles in our family. They had a few "romantic" adult only cabins where a few could feel like they were getting a second honeymoon when not with the group.

I loved the larger cabins on the stream (where my clan stayed). We had a great recreation area to get in some football, volleyball and Frisbee. The kids had a fun playground and fort for playing. It was close enough that they were on their own and still we could keep an eye on them.

The staff organized a "cocktail" hour for just the adults at the stream with a wonderful bonfire and set up a night hike for the children including a cookout so we could have some time to kick back and visit without having to worry about where the kids were or what they were in to. That was absolutely wonderful! And the kids talked about their outing for days!! Most of us are "city folk" so our kids thought this to be quite the adventure to go hiking at night and eat by fire light.

If you go in the spring, take light jackets or sweatshirts. It is beautiful during the day (the kids even played and tubed in the stream) but it did get quite chilly at night. (perfect when your around the bonfire)

I have to say I made my reservations at MS before I read the reviews on this site. I am SO glad I did. I probably would have had not made the reservation from a couple of notes I read. But the web site looked like just what we needed. When I read the reviews and talked to my wife about them, she told me I would be in for the same ribbing and complaints my sister got when she had to make the reservations years ago. But the reservations were made. How VERY wrong she was!!!.

The place was fantastic!!! We never met anyone who fit the description in one of the reviews. The property owner, Katie, made sure our every want or wish was met. From tickets to the Biltmore to organizing activities for the kids. She has a small (very) staff that were just as helpful and very friendly

Our cabin was as clean as could be and very nicely furnished. A dishwasher would have been nice, but that was probably the only thing missing. We had well furnished kitchens, comfy beds, warm fires at night (and that oh so wonderful sound of the stream to lull us to sleep) and beautiful grounds to roam in the day. They were just putting in the flower gardens when we came, so any of you that go later in the season will get to enjoy that.

We even had one of the "property" cats to adopt us that reminded us of our little tabby we left back home. It was great... sitting on the front porch swing, watching the kids play in the stream and having the little feline sitting in my lap. Life can't get any better.

On our last night, Katie had our cookout catered and it was the best "last night" we have ever had. We all discussed it and decided to come here again next year! Takes the burden off cousin Sam. LOL! We already know what we are getting and even with a 5 night stay this time, there is so much more we want to see in the area. Asheville is an amazing area.

We asked about ac, and they did put it in last year, so we plan to come later in the year next time. I was just a wee bit concerned after reading one of the reviews, though I can't imagine it getting very hot there in the mountains.

So there you have it. Our perfect family reunion! Hope this makes things a little easier for those of you who have the task of finding a place that the whole family will like. Tell them Jason B sent you. (They give free nights for referrals and guest who are returning!! Get us some free time for nextreunion!!:)

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
Baltimore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2009

Idyllic location!! Our cabin (#11) was situated beside a lovely rushing stream and looking out over a pasture where horses were grazing. Just behind our cabin was a basketball hoop and a wide open field. The kids loved the stream (our son even made sure to fall in). The cabin was clean (CLEAN!!) and, though small, very well appointed. We didn't mind the small size of the cabin ~ it almost felt like a doll's house.

The owner says they are trying to get WiFi, but it's very expensive. A cell phone and Internet signal can be gotten at the main house, but we were too lazy to walk up the hill. :)

Plenty of restaurants/shopping within a 10 minute drive. Close enough to major highways/Asheville attractions, but also far enough out to offer solitude, peace and quiet.

We WILL return for a longer stay.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
Raleigh, NC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2008

Great location just outside of Asheville. Cabins are cozy and clean and most overlook the creek via nice big porches. The staff was very pleasant and helpful. I would definitely recommend this place to others (and have).

• Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Kaukauna, WI
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2008

My husband and I visited Asheville the end of April 2008 and stayed at these Cabins. We were on a budget and drove about 14 hours before arriving at the Mountain Spring Cabins. After 14 hours of near road rage, we arrived to find the owner had left our keys and info by the front door. We stayed in the Katy-did cabin (the cheapest of the cabins).
Upon arriving, I found that my husband had contacted the owner and she had worked with him to ease my nerves from driving with flowers and wine. The flowers were beautiful, the wine was horrible, but it was the thought that counted and I was truly appreciative. After dealing with hustle and bustle and arriving at our cabin, it was like an instant Calgon moment! I am actually kind of a hotel snob, but also am not afraid of a couple of spiders or bugs...and staying in a cabin, I would have expected some. I love the outdoors and found this cabin to be quite nice. The bathroom was a bit small, but we made due. They have mirrored closet doors in the bedroom, so if you can deal with taking a shower and getting out of the bathroom, I did my hair and makeup in the bedroom in front of the closet. There is a nice porch on the back with a swing. The kitchen is smaller, but it is perfectly sized for simple meals. I wouldn't recommend this cabin for more than 2-3 people, but it was perfect for my husband and I. The grounds of these cabins is very nice. It truly reminds me of what a Mountain Cabin should look like. And after driving through quite a bit of mountain country.....the grounds are much nicer than most!
The Cabins are about a 5-10 minute drive from town, but I am very glad we stayed out of town. I was so sick of being around people and you barely even walk into anyone at the cabins. We walked down by the creek and by some of the other cabins and it was quite quiet while we were there. Even the owner of the cabin truly believed in privacy....the only invaders we found were the cats....and we LOVED them....they were little hams!
While we were at the Mt Springs, we went to Biltmore for a day, which was about 20-30 minutes away. It was quite impressive, but very pricey. We just took the audio tour and found that satisfactory. If you aren't into history, and just want to look at everything, skip the audio. I took the audio while my I briefed my husband and we found that to be good enough.
We also went out to Chimney Rock, which was about 45 minutes away. We walked the trails a bit and went to the falls from the Last of the Mohicans (and no you really can't go behind them...that was made up). The trails were very nice. We tried going up the stairs to the top of Chimney Rock, but the stairs were quite rickety and I am terrified of heights so we only made it a couple of flights and I was like....we are taking the elevator to the top! My husband held my hand and we made it to the top. If you are like me, overcome your fears and go to the top...it was worth it!
We also went to Hot Springs and went white water rafting for a half day trip with Huck Finn Adventures.....the owner, Heath, was AWESOME and so was rafting. Our guides were Matt and Kenny. Two of the coolest guides, I think! Everyone was so friendly, but I would recommend when calling and booking your rafting trip with Heath asking him where to go or eat if you are stumped. He was great! After white water rafting Heath sent us up to Max Patch which is basically a beautiful lookout (you can google this ). It is worth the drive, but is a little intimidating when you get there. We got there about 5pm at night and it was dusk...and the first thing you see are warning signs for Bears and that you have entered bear country! I was not expecting quite the hike either. I have mild asthma and was wearing ballerina shoes and a jean skirt and light jacket. DEFINATELY wear warmer clothes and comfy shoes. And if you have even mild asthma...bring your inhaler...I was weazing horribly by the time I got to the top of the hill. I felt a little silly because everyone else up there had walking sticks and hiking boots...and here I am looking like I belonged on a beach or tropical climate!
As for eating, since we were on a budget, we mainly went into to town and ate at Sonic (similar to DQ or Culvers) and a couple of other budget places. We also utilized our kitchen at the cabin quite a bit and made sandwiches and bought our own soda. There is a toaster so we ate poptarts and toast for breakfast also. We brought snacks to keep us satisfied also.
All in all, my recommendation for Mt Springs is that if you are a true nature lover and enjoy the outdoors, you will enjoy these cabins. If you are expecting a Sleep Number comfy bed, immaculately clean surroundings, and to be closer to town and civilization, go to the Brand name hotels in town. Mt Springs will offer you a truly tranquil experience!

• Liked — Peace and Quiet
  • Disliked — worrying about keeping the cabin clean for check-out
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2008

These cabins are decent accommodations in several acres of well-maintained property. Our cabin was a predictable mid-range facility, not rustic but certainly not luxurious. Everything was clean but a little musty and damp. Mattresses weren't super-comfortable but they could have been worse. The decor was somewhat fussy -- more doilies and cutsey quotations that I prefer. It felt a little like staying at the house of an elderly relative.

The grounds were nice. There is a creek, a play area with a volleyball net, swing-set, horseshoes, etc. I could imagine this being a great place to take some young children for the weekend. The cabin had a lovely porch with rocking chairs, and it was a comfortable and pleasant place to hang out. I could not get internet in my cabin, but there were places on the grounds where I could pick up an open wireless signal.

Temperatures outside stayed below 85 degrees all weekend so we were completely comfortable inside the cabins without A/C. One room had a window A/C that we did not run.

It's not exactly mountain-rural. We could hear traffic passing by on the road outside, and there is an elementary school quite nearby. But it's about 20 minutes from the Blue Ridge Parkway, 5 minutes from I-40, and 15 minutes from downtown Asheville, so its a good location from which to explore the area.

Our only real complaints were that the property-owners have a lot of cranky/snarky policies and directions that make the place feel a little unfriendly. I can imagine that they have had to put up with inconsiderate guests and have made the decision to avoid any ambiguities about the rules, and that's understandable to a degree. But it felt a little too picky and stern. Also, our cabin (Potting Shed) an odd sulfury smell coming from the floor -- not sure if the others smelled like that or not. This was one of the few cabins on-site that was pet-friendly, so the other cabins might be cleaner and have less traffic-noise.

• Stayed June 2008, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
DeSoto,Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2008

Small cabin very was quiet and peaceful. However, our shower leaked and would not turn off when we wanted to take a bath. Also, the mattress pad was very lumpy and found spiders in the room - one in the bed!

Lots of rules posted all over the place and owners were cordial but not over-friendly or helpful. Seemed to want your money but do not want to be bothered.

Would we go back? Yes.

• Liked — view and peaceful setting
  • Disliked — owner was not overly friendly or helpful
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Mountain Springs Cabins? Share your experiences!