“Nice place, but not a lot to do.” 3 of 5 stars

Type: Zoos
Attraction Details
NC
3 attraction reviews
“Nice place, but not a lot to do.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2012

Very nice place, but not very big. It was neat seeing all the animals but we were done in less than an hour.

Visited October 2011

Wilmington, North Carolina
“Would rather pay more for a "real" zoo.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2012

Went in the morning in the middle of July. Paid $15 for two adults and a toddler. The toddler didn't really notice some things, such as the bear and the tigers, since there was so much wire fencing. He played with dirt and rocks instead, even though he loves animals and is learning how to say them all.
We didn't do the safari ride because it was so hot, so the whole outing lasted less than 30 minutes. Not worth it, in my opinion. The gift shop house smelled so badly of animal waste I couldn't stand to be in there to check out those animals (fox, rabbits, small crocodiles, rodents.) We didn't see the giraffe, presumably because it was hiding out in its shaded shelter. It's a shame that you can't see half of the zoo without paying more for the safari. I would recommend going later in the summer, early fall or spring when it's not so hot.
Also, the only restrooms are two port-a-potties. One of the teenage employees smoked a cigarette in one right before I used it, so I was gagging on the cloud of smoke left over. Not nice!

Visited July 2012
Sanford, North Carolina
“Not your average zoo... ... ...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2012

It is completely out of the ordinary! It's a great way to share a unique experience with family and friends (and some other wild life!).The zoo is small and intimate and is really a refuge for exotic animals that have been raised by ignorant humans. Again, not your average zoo. Many of the animals have been adopted into their "forever home" at Aloha from private zoos, people's backyards, circuses or Hollywood film sets. They are cared for by several volunteers - many who are Veterans that are still committed to serving where they are needed. Kudos to them! Thank you! My first experience at the Aloha Safari Zoo left me wanting more. I learned so much about the animals and the team of exceptional volunteers that dedicate their days to the care of these creatures. It is an immaculate setting - the animals are well taken care of, just like members of a family. How many times do you get to cuddle with a Giraffe or play with a monkey, pot bellied pig, or miniature horses? The environment is very intimate and the owner and manager are on hand to share the stories of the animals and show you how to interact with them. The zoo is also a training place for service members that need to learn how to work with Camels or other animals they will encounter while serving in the Middle East. The owner, Lee, is dedicated to our service-members and is constantly giving back in gratitude for their service.... ... ... ... ...I highly recommend a visit to Aloha Safari Zoo. It's a great place for a memorable date, family outing, or a sweet afternoon for two.

Visited May 2012
Sanford
“Aloha Zoo Loves US”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2012

Aloha Zoo is a great addition to our community! They are loving people whom work and volunteer to take on unwanted animals. They do a great job growing and taking care of what they have. They have a porta john for now for the bathrooms and lots of stations to wash your hands. They have a tractor ride and a small gift shop to help support their animals. All the staff is friendly and knowledable. Now it is a country zoo/farm, so it is centered around the animals, not the people! Aloha zoo and Lee (owner) always welcomes our school with open arms for field trips and always makes it a great learning experience for us and our students! Not only does he welcome us, he volunteers his time and takes his animals to our schools for special days to educate the children. He welcomes people to help and volunteer from highschools and is pleasant to everyone. We are thankful for Aloha Zoo and all they give to our little community! Thanks!

Visited April 2012
Cameron, North Carolina
20 attraction reviews
“Great way to spend a Sunday”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2012

Many people think that there couldn't be much to this place. But boy are they wrong.
My wife and I love the Aloha Safari Zoo. We really enjoyed seeing all the different kinds of animals they have there. You get to feed all the animals with food they sell in the gift shop. All of the animals seem really taking care of, and seem to get along just fine. The cages are close so you don't get tired of walking from cage to cage.
The monkeys are funny as can be. The day we were there, they gave the monkeys suckers to eat and it was a sight to see. The one monkey had a sucker in each hand and didn't want to let either of them go. From lions, goats, monkeys turtles, ducks, chickens, cows, foxes, a pig, tigers, wolves, camel, and one of the biggest horses I have ever seen in my life, plus many more. You will have plenty of things to see.
And best of all the price is great, five dollars a person, three dollars for food for the animals, and they have drinks and snacks inside. There are stations where you can wash your hands. The owners really care for these forgotten creatures, and so does the staff. If you get the chance while you're there ride the tractor so you can see all the animals in the pastures. Its worth the little extra.
So I will be returning to the Aloha Safari Zoo many time and I hope that you will too. Maybe I will see you there.

Visited October 2011