“Thanksgiving was Awesome” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Inn on Pamlico Sound

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Buxton
The Inn on Pamlico Sound
49684 Highway 12, Buxton, Hatteras Island, NC 27920   |
Special Offer
Summer Date Specials
Ranked #1 of 7 hotels in Buxton
Waldorf, Maryland
“Thanksgiving was Awesome”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

Despite the fact that Hurricane Sandy had washed out the road leading into Buxton, we took the Ferry from Stumpy Point to check-in on Thanksgiving Day. The staff couldn't have been more professional. As soon as we checked in we were provided a tour of the property. Our room was spotless and the view over the Pamlico Sound was awesome.

We ate at the restaurant all four nights of our stay and I would highly recommend the Tuna filet and the prime rib and or steak. You can't go wrong with any of them. The breakfasts were outstanding as well.

We checked out the Monday after Thanksgiving and were concerned the the Ferry traffic would be a problem. The staff provided us with the phone number of a tow-truck driver who would carry your vehicle on a flat bed across the sand for only $25. It was totally worth it and I would have paid more.

One reason we went down was to photograph stars at night. The outer banks are one of the darkest spots on the east coast. Although it was nearly a full moon, the stars were amazing.

We'll definetly be back.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

777 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (117)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Inn during our first trip to the OBX, and we really enjoyed it. It's a lovely and very well maintained property with a good and friendly staff. What we liked best were the stunning views from our room and deck and hanging out on the dock overlooking the sound in the mornings and evenings... perfect place to enjoy AM coffee or evening cocktails!

We noticed some service issues with the restaurant during breakfast while we were there (July). Our orders didn't always come out accurately, and it took a very long time for the food to be served. But, it wasn't anything that caused a huge problem for us (we're on vacation! we don't have anywhere to be!), but we noticed a few other couples who were visibly upset a few mornings. We had dinner at the restaurant one evening and enjoyed the food very much. The service at dinner was noticeably better than breakfast (perhaps the issue we experienced was isolated and they've worked through it by now).

We are very avid global travelers and would recommend the Inn to anybody who wanted a peaceful and relaxing little get-away. Set your expectations appropriately... the Inn is certainly not a Four Seasons (and nor should it be!), but it is a lovely little hideaway that you will enjoy.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Clinton, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012

This was the best chance on a place to stay, in a long, long time! Being from the west coast, I wasn't sure where to stay on our 3 week vacation. We were so excited we pick Inn on Pamlico Sound. The view, the room, a huge basket of goodies, a refrigerator full of drinks, along with coffee and cookies was just wonderful. The staff, so gracious and friendly, and did I mention the view and the grounds? And the food? It's a one stop place. You really don't want to leave. Thanks Pamlico on the Sound, we loved it!

Room Tip: Any and all.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Waldorf, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

We decided to spend Thanksgiving at the Inn. Almost cancelled as Hurricane Sandy took out Hwy 12 so it was a longer than usual drive being routed by ferry. But we were so glad that we didn't cancel. The Inn is beautiful, the staff very accomodating, and the food was fantastic! We will definitely go back, probably during warmer months so that we can enjoy the pool and the surrounding attractions. Definitely a great place to go to relax!!

Room Tip: We stayed in the Hyacinth Room which had a king sized bed, balcony and overlooked the sound. Had dri...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Newport News, VA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

We booked the inn for our wedding weekend which took place on Oct. 20 and I have to say that the weekend completely rocked! All that anyone has talked about was what a great weekend it was. This is the first time in our relationship that Loree and I have had both our families together like this...ever...and it was wonderful. There was something special about waking up the first morning that we there and looking out and seeing my nephew, brother-in-law and best friends brother fishing on the dock together and my sister and her kids kayaking on the sound. But I digress. Let me first start with the help that was provided by both Forrest and Jennifer in planning this wedding over the previous seven months. Anything that we asked was dealt with a quick response and with a "yes, why not". Forrest put together a magnificent menu for the both the wedding rehearsal, cocktail hour and reception dinner. If we asked for it we got it. There were moments where the stress of planning a wedding started to overwhelm us and each time they had a way of deflecting that stress with their calm demeanor and make it work. Case in point: we were coming down to the wire and had not been able to find someone to do a cake for us. We sat down with Forrest and explained our dilemma, our budget and the problems we were having fitting what we wanted into all of this. Forrest simply asked us what it was that we wanted, gave us a few cool suggestions and within a few days accomplished what we had been trying to do for over a month! Need I say more?! The end result was an amazingly beautiful cake and dessert table that everyone raved about. Even the day of the wedding everything was taken completely out of our hands and left to Jennifer and her crew to handle. The end result was a wedding that was in keeping with Loree's vision with a few touches that Jennifer added to make it even better. I can go on and on about the wonderful work that they all do. What we hoped for going in was an event that we would love and remember for the rest of our lives. Instead what we got was an event that everyone involved, from those who stayed with us the whole weekend to those guests that were there just for the day, would remember for the rest of their lives. Everyone on the staff is extremely friendly and accommodating. Believe me when I say that they will do whatever they can in their power to be sure that your stay is a pleasurable one. I will finish with this, and it may sound corny. I believe that this place has a little magic hovering over it...at least for us. It was our wedding after all. After a night of partying and having a good time a small group of us were hanging out drinking some beer and wine and talking. Thats when it happened. A meteor shower. We had a meteor shower cap off our wedding night. And as I stood there with my wife and closest friends and family and watched one star after another streak across the sky all I could think was if it could get any better than this...right here...right now. The last person I should mention is Steve, the owner. From day one he kept his word on everything he said. In fact now that I recollect our past conversations I don't recall him ever saying no. For this I am grateful. For a weekend that we will never forget both Loree and I are forever grateful.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Wilmore, Kentucky, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2012

This was our fourth visit to the Inn in the past six years, and it was just as exceptional as the first three. The Inn owners and staff are always gracious and helpful hosts, and the three-course breakfasts are probably unmatched. We already are thinking about when our fifth visit might be...

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Charlotte, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2012

My husband and I recently spent several nights at The Inn on Pamlico Sound. From the moment I made the reservation to the day we checked out, we received top-notch service and care. The Inn is absolutely beautiful. We enjoyed taking in the views from our balcony, kayaking in the sound, eating breakfast and dinner at the restaurant (which was delicious!!), and ending the days listening to the live music. Our trip was relaxing and refreshing...everything we were hoping for! We will definitely be back! Misty B.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to The Inn on Pamlico Sound? Share your experiences!