“A Wonderful Motel in Buxton!!” 5 of 5 stars

Cape Pines Motel
47497 NC Highway 12, Buxton, Buxton, Hatteras Island, NC 27920   |
Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Buxton
Fairfax, Va
“A Wonderful Motel in Buxton!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2010

My family and I have stayed here twice in the past month. The first time we stayed one night after staying in a rental house for a week in Avon. The second time we stayed was for a quick weekend getaway. Both times we were extremely pleased that we chose Cape Pines. I have fallen in love with Buxton after staying here! Being able to walk across the street to the grocery store (Conner's Supermarket), walk down the street for ice cream or mini golf (Uncle Eddy's), and walk down the street for lunch or dinner or breakfast (Orange Blossom Cafe-get there early for an Apple Ugly) is heaven! Walking at night to get ice cream or play mini golf means you can see the beacon for the Cape Hatteras Lighthouse--an added bonus! The outdoor pool was still open in mid-September and it was wonderful to still be able to swim in an outdoor pool. We fully took advantage of the other on-site amenities, such as the fish cleaning table, gas grills, charcoal grills, and picnic tables. Walk over to Conner's and pick up some items to grill for dinner and enjoy sitting outside and having dinner while the sun sets. Just bring bug spray since the mosquitos are fierce on Hatteras Island.
The owners live on site and obviously take pride in the motel and want their guests to feel comfortable during their stay. Each room seems to be unique, and decorated a bit differently, and the rooms are the cleanest motel/hotel rooms we have ever stayed in. I love the sea shell soap holders in the bathrooms. We purchased some to take home for our bathrooms at the Old Gray House gift shop, right next door to the motel. There is even a pathway that leads from the back of the motel to the gift shop. Don't miss stopping in at the Old Gray House. My kids (a teenager and a preteen) absolutely love going there and it is one of the most unique gift shops we have ever visited. Walk the paths in the rear of the gift shop and you will see all kinds of interesting items on display and learn a lot about Hatteras Island in the process.
I also love the fact that Cape Pines is an eco-friendly motel. They have recycling bins scattered throughout the property, next to the trash cans, and they use eco-friendly lightbulbs inside of the motel rooms, and even in the outdoor "porch lights" thoughtfully provided outside of each motel room. They also encourage you to reuse your bath towels, if you choose, to conserve water and energy.
I am not a dog owner, but part of the motel is pet friendly, which I'm sure dog owners really appreciate. How wonderful to be able to bring your dog with you on vacation and not have to worry about putting him/her in a kennel or finding someone to look after him/her. We have only stayed in the "no pets" area of the motel (completely separate from the pet friendly area), but I enjoyed seeing people walking their leashed dogs around the property in the pet friendly area--with big smiles on their faces, I might add. I did not hear any dogs barking, as a previous reviewer mentioned. Speaking of dogs, don't miss seeing Heidi, the owners' bulldog, skateboard out front. She does a daily "show" for guests at the motel. My kids videotaped Heidi skateboarding and the video is very popular with all of their friends back home! A previous reviewer also mentioned the presence of stray cats on the property. If this reviewer is familiar with Hatteras Island, he or she would know that there is a large stray cat population on the island. We have encountered many stray cats all over Hatteras Island, since we have been vacationing there for the past 10 years. We have seen many stray cats at each of our rental houses over the past 10 years. I like cats, and I found the cats hanging around at Cape Pines to be very unobtrusive. They would not even approach me, and I never saw them go anywhere near cars or the parking lot, or people for that matter, other than the motel owners. I would much rather see the owners trying to feed and care for these cats at their own expense, trying to make their lives a bit happier, than worry about whether a cat was going near my car. I guess my point is that the previous reviewer was upset that the owner of Cape Pines did not offer to pay for the supposed "damage" to his/her car from a stray cat. A stray cat could be lying on your car anywhere on Hatteras Island, or anywhere else in the United States, for that matter. It's obvious that the previous reviewer doesn't "get" the charm of Hatteras Island, which is the main reason we keep vacationing there.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Norfolk
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2010

After reading the overwhelmingly positive reviews of the Cape Pines Motel on trip advisor, I was quite excited to stay at this property on my annual trip to the Outer Banks. Unfortunately, my expectations were never met.

Upon arriving, we had to wait in the lobby for a somewhat considerable period of time for someone to come--despite calling out "Hello?" and ringing the bell at the front desk. This is a mom-and-pop operation, and they do not boast a sizeable staff. The woman who checked us in was not overly friendly but quite efficient.

Upon checking into our room, I was pretty pleased. The room appeared very clean and quaint, if not a bit on the small side. We had reserved an efficiency, which according to the motel's website, comes "Available with two double beds, or with one king and a sleeper sofa. Efficiencies are one room units that have a mini kitchen with refrigerator, two-burner stove top, sink, microwave, coffee pot, cookware, utensils, tableware, and dish towels." This was a fairly accurate description. We had a queen bed and a double bed. The queen mattress was firm and comfortable; the double was extremely old and soft, and the springs were completely shot. The queen bed had nice bedding; the double bed's blanket was old and ratty and looked like something I didn't want touching my skin. The cookware was a bit on the scant side, and the refrigerator was a mini-fridge. Still, both were sufficient for our needs. But if someone were to plan on doing a lot of cooking during their stay, they might find the refrigerator's limitations restrictive, and the room itself lacks space for a cooler if you don't want to be tripping over it. The bathroom was very small and the cleaning job that housekeeping performed there was a bit hit-or-miss. I found a lot of the previous guest's hair left behind on the tiles, which were old and cracked. Another note on the bathroom--you're bound to be disappointed with the water pressure.

The pool is nice and of good size, but as another reviewer mentioned, it is literally feet from Hwy. 12, so the noise is extremely loud--not the place you'd want to try to relax and catch some rays.

While I love dogs and can appreciate a pet-friendly policy, the owners should enforce a policy where the guests are not allowed to leave dogs alone in the rooms. We had to endure a LOT of barking when we were trying to nap or just relax.

Lastly, the owners have a cat that they keep outside....either that, or it's a stray that they feed regularly, as evidenced by the dish I saws filled with dry cat kibble. This cat apparently decided that the hood of my brand-new car was a great place to nap, as I could see from the cat hair and numerous scratches it left behind. I spoke to the owner (the husband this time), and I pointed the scratches and cat hair to him, and explained how upsetting this was. I have had the car for only 2 months, and until my trip to the Cape Pines, it was in perfect condition. The only response the husband had for me was, "That's weird." Now thanks to their cat, I'm personally out of pocket for the expense of getting the scratches removed.

A business owner interested in good customer service would have made some sort of offer to compensate me for the trouble and inconvenience, but sadly, none was made. Their website boasts: "Bill most recently as the controller at the Plaza Athenee on Manhattan Island in New York City. The Athenee is rated as one of America's finest hotels, so we really know what service and hospitality is all about and we pledge to do everything in our power to make your stay the most enjoyable vacation experience you've ever had. " If Bill in fact really knows service and hospitality, when I showed him the cat hair and scratches on my car, he would have offered something--ANYTHING--as a gesture of goodwill to a customer that was justifiably displeased. Yet he did not. This is why I will NEVER go back to the Cape Pines Motel. There are far too many other rentals, not only in Buxton but also in the other villages on Hatteras Island. I see no reason why they should receive my business again. I have a lot of friends that vacation in the Outer Banks, and they'll definitely be receiving the benefit of my experience.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with friends
Smithfield, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2010

We were pleasantly surprised. This is an older hotel that has undergone renovations with tender loving care. Our room was cozy, comfortable and spotless. It could not have been any better. The owners are very gracious hosts, along with Heidi who greated us with her skateboard. When we go back to Hatteras this will be the first place we call.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Southern Germany
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2010

This is a lovely hotel with spacious rooms, well maintained and tastefully decorated. On the second floor is a lovely porch to enjoy the evening, while the days has been too hot therefore. The opening hours of the office are a little bit restrictive, so if you leave early (that is prior to 9 a.m.), check out the day before. The light house and the beaches are in close reach by car as well as plentiful choices of restaurants.

It has its price but the equivalent, you get for it, justifies it at all.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Winston Salem, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2010

Our rooms were large and clean and we had everything we needed. My mom and aunt could sit outside their room with no fuss. A grocery store was right across the street and there's a shell shop behind the motel that is definitely worth the very short walk. My mother was very pleased and that's no small task! We would definitely stay again.

Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
Martinsville, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2010

as usual I had a great time. The owners and guests are like family. I met lots of nice people and lots of nice dogs.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled solo
Montreal, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2010

Upon our arrival, we had a fuss about Expedia sending the motel 2 different reservations for the same night, under my name, and none of them corresponding to my real reservation, when checking the itinary numbers. The lady at the front desk said that it was not her first fuss with Expedia, and that she had to send them the bill for the extra reservation.

We paid $132 for the night, on a Sunday of June 2010. From outside, the motel seemed to be a hidden gem. It was so beautiful! But we had a room in the old-style motel, behind the new-style one.

The room was the usual one. Nothing fancy, nothing cheap, just an ordinary room on the upper floor. It was very clean, the A/C was started when we got in, to our pleasure since it was a scorcher outside, and the location was fantastic, a few minutes away from the lighthouse and the beach.

The beds were a little squeaky, but the rest was OK. The people working there were very nice.

In the morning, we wondered where to leave the keys when we checked out, since there was nobody at the front desk. We knew someone must have been somewhere since the coffee maker was started and the coffee free of charge for the guests. I was about to leave the keys in my room when a man arrived outside and told us to leave them in the "keys box", next to the entrance door... Thanks a bunch :) !

The stay was pleasant, but with no breakfast included, the squeaky beds, and an ordinary room, for $132, I can't give more than 3 stars on the rating.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Cape Pines Motel? Share your experiences!