“RUDE Staff” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 7 hotels in Buxton
Raleigh NC
“RUDE Staff”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2009

I had booked a room for a few days at the Cape Pines Motel but could not make my reservation due to family obligation. I thought I had cancelled the reservation but to my surprise I got a call at 10:30 at night from the motel telling me that I was going to be charged a night for not cancelling. I understand policies but I also understand you can bend the rules. Keep in mind it was out of season when I booked the room. I asked not to be charged and was told “sorry I can’t do that” then hung up on. For me that’s when it turned. When you count on word of mouth business you don’t hang up on potential customers. I called back to explain my situation and wanted to work out a deal on the cancellation charge. I was told NO and AGAIN hung up on. I felt I was polite and wanted them to know I was aware of a cancellation policy but I felt he could have waived it or worked with me on it, it wasn’t even season. I’m not even upset about the cancellation fee; I’m upset that I was hung up on. Beware if you stay here that you might get a little attitude from the staff. Since this all went down I have made it to Buxton and stayed on the beach at the most wonderful motel. “OUTER BANKS MOTEL” I would highly recommend this place because of a few reasons. It’s on the beach, very clean, and most of all, a great staff.

Stayed April 2009

164 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2009

Extremely clean and well maintained Motel. Two minutes from Lighthouse and Beach. Excellent amenities! Across from Supermarket. Very, very clean and comfortable. The owners are visible and very accomodating. They love Dogs! They love their Motel! I would go back again and again!

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
chester,sc
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2009

My wife and I exchanged our usual sc beach destination for the obx in 2003. Ocracoke is not a secret anymore. The northern end of obx is too stuffy. Hatteras Island is perfect. A lot of the properties in buxton area are D- in service and C- in cleanlinesss. We were tolerating these grades in exchange for oceanfront location. All of a sudden price gouging started,especially on Memorial Day time frame. We waited until two weeks before Memorial Day to try and book a slot in Buxton at a better price. We selected Cape Pines Motel on Trip Advisor rating. I called Angie several times to try and put together Memorial Day weekend slot with pet. We booked two different rooms to make it happen. One of the rooms was suite #12.I would guess a 800-900 sf. All rooms were 5star clean Service to match. Gave price concessions for suite without our asking.The location is not oceanfront or oceanside. The bathroom was somewhat cramped in one room. On a scale of 1-10. A solid 8.5. p.s.- We're booked for this year 2009. We are both in our mid 50's with a schnoodle dog.

• Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
Norfolk, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2008

We stayed in a one bedroom suite at the Cape Pines motel (with our dog).

We found front desk personnel to be friendly. It was really cold and the suite's heaters were already humming by the time we got to the suite. We had a brand new fridge and microwave. The suite was very clean. Yes, the walls are thin and we could hear our neighbor's TV a bit, but with the air conditioner/heater on, you really couldn't hear much.

The Cape Pines is an older motel, so I wasn't surprised that the walls were a bit thin. But it has a lot of charm and you can walk to the local restaurants.

• Liked — In cold weather, it was really cozy with wood floors and furnishings.
  • Disliked — Thin walls.
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Wilmington, NC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2008

Cape Pines was neither good or bad. We stayed here in October in the King suite. These suites were located in the main building over the office. Bad things first: many parts around the upstairs were quite shabby/sad looking. The main hallway smelled bad. The walls were PAPER thin (you could hear every neighboors convo and TV). Good things: the king bed was HUGE. Biggest bed I've ever stayed in. The bathroom and living room were quite clean. Management was nice enough.

Although I wasn't impressed with Cape Pines I've read many other reviewers who were. I can only assume most of them stayed in the side by side apartments down on the ground floor. From what I saw they were very cute and quaint.

For the price (90 some dollars) I was a little underwhelmed by Cape Pines. I do not recomend staying in the rooms above the office.

• Liked — Clean room
  • Disliked — Paper thin walls in rooms above the office
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
North Lake Tahoe
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2008

For $65.00, we got a clean, tasteful room with comfortable beds, beautiful wood finishings, free wi-fi, and excellent sound proofing. Bonus: it's pet friendly if you are so inclined, and the deluxe have views of the famous lighthouse (or so we are told).

A lucky find.

• Liked — the price and the cleanliness
  • Disliked — the coffee in the lobby
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Broomfield, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2008

This motel gets top marks for being VERY clean. Our room was large and had a fridge and microwave. The free wifi was a nice touch. Cape Hatteras lighthouse is a short drive down the road. Handy little supermarket across the street.

My only problem was the bathroom and the shower. The bathroom was small and there was no place to put my toiletries while I was using them. I was trying to crowd little bottles, toothbrush, contact lens case, etc. on the edge of the sink with little success. Maybe they could add a shelf? The shower was a nightmare. I don't know what the problem was, but it would suddenly turn scalding hot one minute and then bitter cold the next. There was no way to predict what it was going to do to next. At one point I had to call my husband, who came running in to turn the hot down because I was being scalded. My bad for not saying anything about the shower to the owners, but I don't usually have to guts to complain.

I also loved the two dogs.

• Liked — CLEAN
  • Disliked — The crazy killer shower
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Cape Pines Motel? Share your experiences!