Our first mistake was not deciding what was important for our one night on the Outer Banks, saving $30 or sleeping comfortable with adequate air-conditioning. One of us needed more cooling to the room than a wall inserted '1960's' air conditioner. For the extra $30 we should have chosen a motel down the road. We were upgraded from our 2 queens to a King size bed. I would never pay the rate for King, I would take less bed comfort for better air conditioning and wi-fi. Falcon Motel lists they have wi-fi but we were never able to receive a connection. Yes, we even inquired at the desk and tried at the motel office and several other places throughout the parking lot. Our phones are dependent on wi-fi for service and it was a negative for our ability to connect with family and others. Wi-fi was readily available at nearby retail stores, proving it wasn't us or our phones or IPad.
We had a very hard time deciding on the motel we would reserve. Trip Advisor, Yahoo, Expedia, Priceline had very few reviews to give the traveler a fare account of which motel to choose from in "this price range". Price was a factor this trip, it won't be the next time when traveling in areas with "high" tourist traffic. What you would normally pay for as average $$ for a night you can trust it will be doubled in this area- Avon, Buxton, Frisco, etc.
The rooms were clean, laminate flooring (take a couple of throw rugs if staying for a few nights), air conditioning & bathroom sinks were 1960's. The paneling was painted, ours was a yellow.
Office shared when I asked, other rooms were blue & green shades. I was comfortable but because my companion needs air-conditioning with a capacity to cool the room, his sleep was difficult at best. I found the appearance when I walked in to be beachy. I liked the yellow walls and the white duvet on the bed. I will post pictures of the bed & the bathroom. FYI: if you require little in the way of luxuries; I would highly recommend the Falcon Motel for a great inexpensive 3-4 night stay to enjoy the area. The ocean is just 3 mile drive into Hatteras Lighthouse Park, you have lots of parking and sand at your feet. :) ( not sure if I've commented, Falcon Motel is less than 600ft from the entrance to the main park) great eating across the street.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Falcon Motel is located about 1/4 mile off the beach and 1 mile from the Cape Hatteras Lighthouse. All of the rooms are ground level and non smoking. There is a fish cleaning table where you can clean your catch. The rooms are clean, comfortable and inexpensive. We also have a swimming pool and picnic area under the live oaks. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Priceline, Expedia and Odigeo so you can book your Falcon Motel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Croatoan Hotel Buxton
- Falcon Hotel Buxton
- Falcon Motel Hatteras Island, NC - Buxton