“Decide what is important to you and your Travelers; $$ or air-conditioning.” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Falcon Motel

You added Falcon Motel to your Saves list
Falcon Motel
46854 Highway NC 12, Buxton, Hatteras Island, NC 27920 (Formerly Falcon Motel)   |
Ranked #7 of 7 Hotels in Buxton
Raleigh, North Carolina
“Decide what is important to you and your Travelers; $$ or air-conditioning.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2014

Our first mistake was not deciding what was important for our one night on the Outer Banks, saving $30 or sleeping comfortable with adequate air-conditioning. One of us needed more cooling to the room than a wall inserted '1960's' air conditioner. For the extra $30 we should have chosen a motel down the road. We were upgraded from our 2 queens to a King size bed. I would never pay the rate for King, I would take less bed comfort for better air conditioning and wi-fi. Falcon Motel lists they have wi-fi but we were never able to receive a connection. Yes, we even inquired at the desk and tried at the motel office and several other places throughout the parking lot. Our phones are dependent on wi-fi for service and it was a negative for our ability to connect with family and others. Wi-fi was readily available at nearby retail stores, proving it wasn't us or our phones or IPad.

We had a very hard time deciding on the motel we would reserve. Trip Advisor, Yahoo, Expedia, Priceline had very few reviews to give the traveler a fare account of which motel to choose from in "this price range". Price was a factor this trip, it won't be the next time when traveling in areas with "high" tourist traffic. What you would normally pay for as average $$ for a night you can trust it will be doubled in this area- Avon, Buxton, Frisco, etc.

The rooms were clean, laminate flooring (take a couple of throw rugs if staying for a few nights), air conditioning & bathroom sinks were 1960's. The paneling was painted, ours was a yellow.
Office shared when I asked, other rooms were blue & green shades. I was comfortable but because my companion needs air-conditioning with a capacity to cool the room, his sleep was difficult at best. I found the appearance when I walked in to be beachy. I liked the yellow walls and the white duvet on the bed. I will post pictures of the bed & the bathroom. FYI: if you require little in the way of luxuries; I would highly recommend the Falcon Motel for a great inexpensive 3-4 night stay to enjoy the area. The ocean is just 3 mile drive into Hatteras Lighthouse Park, you have lots of parking and sand at your feet. :) ( not sure if I've commented, Falcon Motel is less than 600ft from the entrance to the main park) great eating across the street.

Room Tip: King size bed / unit with yellow walls- room #16.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Dave D, Manager at Falcon Motel, responded to this review, August 11, 2014
Hi and thank you for your review of the Falcon Motel. I am sorry if your a/c was not "up to par" during your stay. I remember talking to you several times during that evening and if you had mentioned it wasn't working I could have gotten someone right over there and switched you to a new unit.
As for the wifi, I am sorry. We are on a barrier island and sometimes the strength just is not there especially if someone is streaming video or playing on line video games. Sometimes just resetting our router helps. However, we use wifi on our laptop in the office and never encountered a problem on the night you were in town.
I am sorry that your opinion of the motel changed so rapidly through the evening. I remember when you were asking about the colors of the walls you had said you were going to highly recommend the place and would return for a future stay.
Thanks so much and just in case you do decide to give us another try if there are any problems encountered during your stay please do not hesitate to inform us so we can correct it right away!

Kim
Falcon Motel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Chicago
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2014

We stayed here three nights. It was not an entirely pleasant experience. (Before you read the rest of this review, please know that this is the first time we went to the Outer Banks, and we stayed in only one other, pricier hotel, so I can't really compare it to similar places in the area.) Worst part: the room had a variety of bugs, and not just in the bathroom. It also had two queen size beds, and a small fridge, microwave, and TV, all crammed into a corner that competed for space with the clothes rack. We had to move clothes every time we wanted to open the refrigerator door. Also, there were not enough electrical outlets to have the fridge plugged in at the same as the TV and microwave. Only two of those could be on at any time, but that wasn't clear at first. The decor of the room was something out of the 1950's, and the metal clothes hangers were rusty and looked as though they had been in use 60 years. All of that said, there were pluses. First and foremost, it's cheap for the Buxton area. And it's a motel, so you drive right up to your door, making it very handy and easy to unpack stuff. There's a porch that runs the length of the motel, with beat-up wooden chairs. Also, the staff were very friendly. It's right on Highway 12, so you see it easily on the right as you drive south on that route. It has a small pool which looked OK but some family members tried to use it one afternoon, and found that it's closed every afternoon, from about 2 to 5 p.m. Finally, the motel is super close to the Cape Hatteras Lighthouse site. The entrance to that is probably a tenth of a mile further south. Would we stay here again? Probably not. It saved us a bit of money but I don't think it's worth worrying about having brought cockroaches or other bugs home with us.

Room Tip: quieter rooms would be farther from Highway 12
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Raleigh, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2014

I picked this motel because it was the cheapest motel I could find south of Nags Head. So, my expectations were not super-high. That being said, this place is pretty good. The rooms were a bit dated and there was some rust around the bathroom fixtures. The AC unit was fairly noisy. But the room was clean and the bed was comfortable. There was plenty of parking. The location is convenient, off NC-12 and just a short drive to the lighthouse.

The staff was friendly, but be aware the office closes around 9 PM, so don't arrive too late.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
Wilton, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2013

After leaving MD we wanted to hit the NC Outer Banks. Our chosen location was just north of Hatteras in Buxton. This motel is about a block from the entrance to the Cape Hatteras Lighthouse and recreation area. The good reviews do reflect what we found here. We booked a king bed, which came with a full Refrigerator, smaller than full size but with a real freezer section. I bet the fisher folks love that feature! It was a large room with a good TV and microwave. The lady at the front desk was very friendly and offered sound advice about local places of interest and food options. The pool looked fantastic with plenty of lounge chairs but it was a little windy so we didn't use it. I withheld an excellent due to the sand we tracked around the room, with no throw rugs next to the bed we needed to do a foot shuffle to get our feet clean to get in. We did try to leave the sand at the door but it seemed to follow us in anyway. Great stopover for the area.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Fredericksburg, VA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

My husband, our two kids, and i just returned from our 4 night stay here. We'd previously stayed at the Cape Pines when coming down for the several years prior, but this will be our new "go to". It is an older building, so don't expect The Hilton. However,
if you want a super cheap, friendly, safe, clean place to stay, in a great centralized location.... Look no further! The maid here is one of the sweetest peope I've ever met, and the office staff is really great, too! The pool is really nice, and the rooms are being renovated as we speak,
so it will only get better!!! Its also only steps from a grrat reataurant, Super Wings, Angelos pizza,
and Uncle Eddys frozen custard. If youre expectations are reasonable, you'll be thrilled with this place!

• Stayed August 2013
Richmond, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2013

This is my first ever review but had to say this hotel deserved a glowing review. Just had gotten married with a baby on the way so we really didn't have a whole lot of money to spend on vacation. I had researched prices on the internet and thought I would give them a call. I had spoke with a very pleasant young lady who told me about the recently refurbished king rooms. Let me say I was blown away when I walked into the room. King bed with new white down comforters. Probably a 42' flatscreen tv hung on the walls. Newly redone hardwood floors. If I had to complain the only thing that I would ask for was a rug near the bed to get the sand off our feet. Room was clean, staff was friendly and very accomadating. We really enjoyed our stay and hoping to come back when our little one comes so she can enjoy the beach.

Room Tip: Room # 17 is the bomb!!!!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013 via mobile

We just checked into the Falcon Motel and we were pleasantly surprised! Room was cleaned prestinely. Yes, it is older but smells clean. Location is great..walking distance to restaurants, shops and an ice cream shop. Kimberly, who is at the front desk was a wealth of information of places to eat and visit. Even gave us information on a playground right next door for our little ones. Have not visited the pool yet but it looks large, clean and inviting. I am thinking this will be a great vacation!

• Stayed August 2013

Been to Falcon Motel? Share your experiences!