“If You Have To” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Outer Banks Motel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Buxton
Outer Banks Motel
You added Outer Banks Motel to your Saves list
46577 Hwy 12 Buxton, NC 27920, Buxton, Hatteras Island, NC 27920   |
Ranked #5 of 7 Hotels in Buxton
Venice, Florida
“If You Have To”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2014

Coming up from the south after dark and after using two ferry rides this was the first place we came to that had lights on. With no reservation and being off season check in was easy enough. No covered parking as they were in the middle of redoing the parking areas. Rooms were up stairs that were not to secure. Had to unlock door from the outside walk way into an area that was not clean. Unlocked the inner door to get to the room. Basic room was passable but bathroom looked like it was built in the 50's. No towel rack and they were placed on the toilet bowel. Bed was large enough for us two plus the dog. Not at all comfortable. Were woken next morning by cement truck doing its' work underneath us. Walked down to the end of the of the building and was actually OVER the ocean. Was told that the parking lot had been flooded the previous week. For a one shot deal it was passable but would suggest day time travel and head up the road a bit. The only saving factor is that it is right on the beach or, in this case, over it.

Room Tip: Avoid if at all possable.
  • Stayed October 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Dunn, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2014

Whenever the wife and I are at OBX, which we visit 2x per year, we make every effort to stay here. The rates are great, the rooms are always clean, and the location is even better, especially if peace and quiet are what you are after. We definitely recommend this place for any OBX stay, be it a weekend or week.

Room Tip: All of the rooms are nice.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2014

Mrs. Carol, the owner/operator of this establishment, is by far the most unpleasant and unprofessional individual, that I have ever had the displeasure of dealing with. I tried canceling a reservation for one of the Tower Cottages, and Mrs. Carol was less than helpful, even though I was cancelling three weeks ahead of time.
Although I was not informed of the cancelation policy upon making the reservation, and it’s not provided on the hotel website, she asserted that I wouldn’t be entitled to a refund. She asserted that the cottages are actually owned by an outside corporation; she just secures the renters. In trying to cancel my reservation & obtain a refund, I had to call the hotel 10 times, because Mrs. Carol repeatedly hung up on me. As soon as I informed her that I was an attorney, therefore I knew and that she couldn’t enforce a policy that she didn’t inform me of, she hung up on me. When I called back she said that she knew I was from New York, but I had to “talk slower.” I had to send a letter threatening legal action before I was able to get anywhere.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends
Dover, Pennsylvania, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2014

We stayed the first week of off season in August. It was very affordable and we had a stove, microwave and fridge to make meals. Located in a quiet town - Buxton. Right on the beach. My husband and I walked the beach every night and morning. Fattys icecream is right across the street. YUM! and the kayack tours are awesome too! I would recommend staying at Outer Banks Motel. This was our second stay. Family owned. Pool is always clean. Rooms are nice and roomy. They keep up to date too. Nice flat screen TV.

Room Tip: bring your own dish soap. there are dishwasher but you need soap powder.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Conyers, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2014

We have started the last three years at this motel. It is older, but the price is great. The staff is nice. This year our cabin was so close to the ocean - you can almost touch the waves. We had an air conditioning issue... Let mgmt know and when we came back to the room... There was a window unit. Later on the same day it was fixed and the window unit was gone. I feel they took care if us just fine. We love the place.

• Stayed June 2014
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2014

Our room's (5) a/c was off when we arrived, and it was 84 degrees when we got in there. We were told to park "under" the building with our corresponding room number. If we had been able to squeeze between the other cars, there was a few inches of sand in there, that I wasn't comfortable with trying to put my car in, because it's low to the ground. The motel, itself, was out of date and there wasn't a TV in the extra room. We wouldn't stay here for an extended period, but may for a few nights.

Stayed September 2014, traveled with family
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2014

My GF and I just returned from 3 nights staying at the Outer Banks Motel in Buxton. We arrived on Fri morning just around noon and were able to get into our room right away. We were given room 102 which had a partial ocean view from the screened porch. Everything at check-in was as expected and we had no issues. The room itself was nice as it had two double beds and full kitchen. It was clean as well. It was not the fanciest place we have stayed in but very nice and comfy. They do note on the AC unit not to lower it below 70 or 72 (two signs had different temps listed) or the unit would freeze up and not work. This was not unusual to me as I have seen this at many other places and experience a unit not work because of lowering the temp too much. Still it was good enough to cool off the room and remove the humidity for sleeping. I was able to throw a rock into the ocean we so close. It was great to get up and simply walk out our front door to be at the beach. All in all this is a quiet hotel as Buxton and most of Hatteras Island is. This is why I go there and what I love about it, just quiet relaxing time on the beach.

One odd thing was they provided no maid service for any rooms that have a full kitchen in them. You could ago exchange your linens twice a week (Wed, Sat I believe), but this did not affect us as we were only there for 3 days. Everything else you had to supply; toilet paper, shampoo, soap, etc.. There was a initial bar of soap and TP but it was written down they would not replace it.

I have stayed in a few hotels in this area and this was right in line with one other that I liked a lot and good for the area. I would stay here again.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Outer Banks Motel? Share your experiences!