“Service and location were top notch” 4 of 5 stars

Cape Hatteras Motel
1.0 of 5 Motel   |   46556 Hwy 12, Buxton, Hatteras Island, NC 27920   |
Ranked #4 of 7 Hotels in Buxton
Bellevue, Washington
“Service and location were top notch”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2014

We chose to stay here for our first visit to the Outer Banks, avoiding the more commercialized communities further north. The location here can't be beat as other reviewers have said, at the edge of town with miles of undeveloped National Seashore to the north. The main buildings are set right at the water's edge, with photos of past flood damage in the office serving as a reminder of nature's fury.

We opted to stay in a larger unit located across the road, which had two bedrooms and a full kitchen. It was very roomy and comfortable for the three of us (enough beds for 6). There is a pool and hot tub on site too.

Dave, the owner, was super helpful. Anything not in the unit he would provide. I also learned a lot about the hearty spirit of folks who choose to make this area their home from talking with him. I wish him calm seas in the future.

Stayed June 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2014

I am reviewing this nearly a year after my stay (!!) BUT, I was logged into trip advisor for another reason and wanted to add another glowing review for the Cape Hatteras Motel. I can never say enough good things about this place. The staff is wonderful and the hotel is right on the most lovely beaches in the world. We choose Cape Hatteras each year because it lacks the crowds that the more northern beaches get…And of all the motels in the area, this is the best one I've found by far. Thank you, Cape Hatteras Motel, for providing me with such happy memories for my summer vacations. It's definitely worth the drive from Pittsburgh.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Clarksburg, West Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2014

We stayed in an oceanfront room in building D.
Our first room was on the top floor. Great! But the people next door were smokers and we are not. The rooms are all non-smoking but the porches are not. Their smoke would come into our room. We could not enjoy the porch so I explained the situation to the office staff and they gladly moved us to a different room and all was well. The motel was nice except you really don't have any outside private or semi-private area. The porches are great if you like your neighbors :) Most motels & hotels rooms have their own balcony. I knew before arriving that each building has one continuous front porch I just didn't realize how having neighbors sitting out with us could limit our enjoyment. Again the staff was super great about it and we were taken care of.

Room Tip: 2nd or 3rd floor is best, But right now the large dune that usually blocks the ground floors view wa...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2014

Spent four nights here w/ my wife and three small kids ages 5, 3 and 6 mos. This is as oceanside as it gets with high tide sometimes bringing water underneath the raised townhome over the front stoop (which is backside of the ocean). Bedrooms on second floor w/ divided balcony overlooking the ocean and living room/kitchen on third floor with a common area balcony also overlooking the ocean. We loved it!

What makes the location truly incredible is that the townhomes are literally at the north edge of the Buxton city line, so if you're looking at the ocean, the beach to the left of the property is completely undeveloped all the way to the next town north, Avon, and will stay that way, since that is all federally protected Cape Hatteras National Seashore.

The beachwaters in front of the property can get a little rough, but the location of the property made it easy to find terrific kid-friendly beaches in Frisco, to the south, and on Pea Island to the north. The iconic Cape Hatteras Lighthouse is less than a mile away with a good surfing beach there. Buxton is literally at the elbow of the OBX where the warm Gulf Stream waters flowing north meet the colder water coming in from the North Atlantic which is why I think the fishing is so reknowned there.

The units are built for the views. Open the porch doors and you'll have a breeze constantly flowing through. There's nothing particularly fancy about the living arrangements - with a constant breeze, there's also a constant battle with sand and salt - but the living quarters are perfectly comfortable and I slept like a baby for our four nights there. Maybe the best four nights of sleep I've had this year. Strongly consider keeping tubs of water downstairs at the front stoop and on the third floor balcony to wash off the inevitable sandy feet that come from running out to the beach barefoot.

Kitchen is fully furnished, units are clean, and the owner Dave was both on site and responsive. Would totally come back to this place again, particularly given its location at a place that makes reaching the rest of the OBX - north or south - a piece of cake.

Room Tip: I didn't realize the townhomes are all in Block A - on the far left of the property - but Block...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Hillsborough, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2014

I spent two nights at this hotel and overall it was wonderful. I would give the place five stars if they hadn't started moving sand around at 7:30am the first morning we were there. This beach is absolutely beautiful, though...if you get a chance don't miss it...nice restaurant with espresso right across the street...very nice food too.

Room Tip: Normally you need a room on the second floor to see over the dunes, but a nor'easter at Easter t...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Dave D, Owner at Cape Hatteras Motel, responded to this review, August 10, 2014
Thank you. The dune is still down and our guests seem to prefer that. Now there is a view from the first floor as well!
Richmond, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2014

My boyfriend and I came down for the weekend and decided that this will be our go to spot for weekend beach trips. The rooms are large albeit plain with comfortable beds, fridge, and microwave. The bathroom was huge and appeared to be recently remodeled. I loved the fact that we could walk out of our door and see the waves breaking 20-30 feet away. All of the motel employees that I had contact with were polite and professional.

Room Tip: I would definitely choose oceanfront or oceanside. I had originally asked for oceanfront because I...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2014

Spent a few days here for a brief getaway. The room was excellent (and clean). The view was breath-taking (especially at sunrise). The beach was close enough that you could literally toss a stone into it from your door. Additionally, the motel is the last building on the north side of Buxton which means you have several miles of beach all to yourself. My girlfriend and I walked for almost a mile without running into anyone else. Lastly, there are enough restaurants and attractions in the area to keep you busy for a few days. Cape Hatteras is less than 5 minutes away. All in all, this is hands down the most pleasant experience I've had at the beach. Great room, great staff, great view, great vacation!

Room Tip: Make sure the room is "oceanfront" or "ocean-view."
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Buxton
Hatteras Island Inn Buxton
The Burrus House Inn
The Burrus House Inn
#5 of 10 in Manteo
4.5 of 5 stars 61 reviews

Been to Cape Hatteras Motel? Share your experiences!