“Only Place on OBX I stay” 4 of 5 stars

Cape Hatteras Motel
46556 Hwy 12, Buxton, Hatteras Island, NC 27920   |
Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Buxton
Gloucester, Virginia
“Only Place on OBX I stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012

My sister and I discovered the Cape Hatteras Motel several years ago while planning our yearly sister trip. We have returned many, many times. Never to be disappointed. Great off season rates.

Buxton is a great place to stay on the Outer Banks if you are the kind of beach person who does not want to stay in a overgrown beach with too many hotels, chain restaurants, cars, traffic jams.
I do recommend that you get a room on the ocean side and unless you really can't climb stairs stay on the 2nd or 3rd floors so you can see the ocean (first floor, while convenient and no stairs, has only a view of the dunes.)
The wonderful building long porches overlooking the ocean are lined with rocking chairs and are perfect for enjoying a morning cup of coffee or an evening glass of wine.
The office even has several shelves of paperback books for folks to borrow while they are staying.

Room Tip: If you want to see the ocean choose rooms on second or third floors but it would mean climbing lots...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2012 via mobile

My husband and I come 2 or 3 times a year and always stay at Cape Hatteras Motel. The motel is right on the beach and is always clean. If anything is needed, the office staff (Dave, Ann, Kim) are always there to assist.

• Stayed September 2012
Smith Mountain Lake, Virginia, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2012

We did not expect a resort, but did expect a little more for the amount of money we had to pay. We had just been to the beach in South Carolina and got a very nice condo right on the beach also with all kinds of upgrades for less money. However, this place is very close to the beach.

Room Tip: Rooms on the top floor have better views.
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2012

Great price, really clean room, comfortable bed. Nice people. The beach is right outside your door, and is BEAUTIFUL. If you looking for some high class hotel with room service and a large TV you don't belong here. This place was awesome. I'd return any day :)

Room Tip: Try to get a room on the 2'nd or 3'rd floors for the best beach view.
Ringgold, VA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2012

My first impression of the room was that it smelled a bit musty. Started to fix coffee for the morning and when I got ready to put a filter in. housekeeping had left a used filter in it and there was mold all over it. Had to walk all the way to the office and the clerk was very helpful in cleaning it for me. There was no shower head on the shower. The room was in need of some cleaning and maintenance. For the price I expected better. If I ever decide to come back I hope to find a new improved room. I was happy with the room having such a great view of the ocean.

Room Tip: Building C has best ocean views. Although it may be the older of the buildings.
The Villages, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2012 via mobile

My wife and I are 10 days away from our 5th visit to this establishment. We were supposed to be here for our anniversary in July, sadly my Mom past away the day before we were to leave. When I called to cancel, I expected to lose my deposit, as per the terms for the reservation. To my surprise, they did not penalize us, and were very sympathetic to my loss. Well I am going back to hatteras because it's a beautiful place with great people, laid back and caring. As for the property it is what it is, they make no bones about it. It's been battered by hurricanes, rain and wind, but somehow they pull it off, so in conclusion I highly recommend this establishment if you are beach lovers, fisherman or just want peace and quiet. I will post again after my stay, but if past history is any indicator it will be a positive experience. Can't wait for some fresh fish tacos..

Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
MSP
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012

Stayed here for 3 nights last week. It is an older motel, so if your looking for 5 stars look elsewhere, but if you like a great view, clean room ,nice people and salty air, then definitely stay here. Room was clean, yes a bit dated, TV was small, but really, if you come to stay here are you really going to sit in your room and watch TV? Great location right on the beach, nice outdoor pool across street, owners were friendly and had good information at check-in. Maid service was daily and did a great job considering all the sand we seemed to track in!! Sorry...
Highly recommend Angelos Pizza a block or so away, very good. If you like a "beach" house feel and a great location and don't mind not being at a Hilton, than I highly recommend this location. Great spot for family's and beachcombing too.

Room Tip: Get a room 2nd floor or higher to avoid "dune view"..unless you like looking at sand.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Been to Cape Hatteras Motel? Share your experiences!