“A Outstanding Refugee and a Great Staff” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #1 of 4 Attractions in Burlington
Type: Nature/ Wildlife Areas, Zoos & Aquariums
More attraction details
Owner description: Have you ever looked a tiger in the eye? Felt the whole-body impact of lions roaring? Watched wolves romp through the woods? These and other once-in-a-lifetime experiences are possible at the Conservators' Center, a wildlife conservancy for more than 80 animals with a focus on education, conservation, and rescue. An "oofing" at the Conservators' Center is an experience you'll have to feel to believe. It's the earth-shaking sound our lion prides make when they roar to one another. Our guides call to them on every tour, and you may have the opportunity to hear them from as close as 5 feet away! You'll also get up close and personal with tigers, leopards, wolves, lemurs, binturongs, and other exotic species. We receive no state or federal funding to transport or house our animals. Tours, adoptions, memberships, and other donations support our work, so every visit from you helps us help them.
Franklinton, North Carolina
4 attraction reviews
“A Outstanding Refugee and a Great Staff”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2013

If you have a family and love animals, this is a must see facility. I wasn't sure what to expect, put the tour was outstanding. Our tour guide was extremely knowledge and provide plenty of information about the animal and species. I tour was well over 2 hours. Nothing like hearing a wolf howl or a lion roar. If I lived closer, I would definitely want to volunteer here. You need to make reservations so visit their website and take a trip worth the time and money.

North Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
“What a trip!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013 via mobile

I did not know what to expect...boy, was I so pleasantly surprised! The tour was exceptional. Megan, our tour guide, was extremely knowledgable and provided us with a true education of the animals and the conservatory. I loved every minute of it. It lasted an hour longer than expected and I was so glad it did. I could have stayed for another several hours! I especially loved when Megan called the lions who responded with very LOUD roars (tv shows do not do them justice). Thank you, Megan for a trip worth while. I intend to return.

Las Cruces, New Mexico
“Wonderful Experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2013 via mobile

Took the Family Adventure Tour at twilight guided by Megan. She was knowledgable, funny, entertaining, and fun....and boy can she howl like a wolf not to mention huff like a lion! The tour included watching the animals get treats and was extended beyond its 1 1/2 hour limit - we were not rushed and she took time to answer questions and allow us to take our time viewing the animals. The animals are magnificent and the experience is so different from seeing these animals in a zoo- you are so close you can count the spots in the spots.

Their website advises to wear comfortable shoes and this is well advised. I was so impressed that at the end, I adopted Reno the bobcat.

Elon NC
5 attraction reviews
“The Twilight Tour is Amazing!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2013

This is more than a tour-it's a wonderful learning experience. We've been several times and it is always amazing. The knowledge of the staff and the way they care about and interact with the animals never ceases to amaze me. I highly recommend this tour!

Visited August 2013
NC, USA
“Definitely worth going!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

First, this operation has to appeal to your humanity as the facility is a reclamation project for wild animals: the "tired,tempest tost" that have - through no fault of their own - become unwanted. So your admission fee ( about $12 for adults, depending on the tour) helps to support a worthy cause. And if you are really impressed as I was you might consider a donation or sponsoring an animal before you leave.

The tour of nearly two hours will allow you to get close to both the small animals - many of which I had never heard of - and the larger lions, tigers, and wolves. The extremely knowledgeable guides will give you details of each animals history and in a few cases, e.g., the wolves and lions, induce the animals to howl and roar as the case may be.

Three hints:

You MUST go to their website and pre-register for a tour and they do not take walk-ins.

Download the Center's driving directions as once you get off of I85 the GPS satellite feed is worthless. Having said that the directions were extremely detailed and we did not have any trouble finding the place. Or getting back either.

If you are two adults be sure to sign up for the adult tour unless you want to spend the time with a gaggle of overactive children. On the other hand, the family tour appears to be a wonderful experience for young children (much better than a zoo).

Visited September 2013