“I certainly cannot recommend this place!” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Fryemont Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Bryson City
Fryemont Inn
You added Fryemont Inn to your Saves list
PO Box 459, 245 Fryemont Street, Bryson City, NC 28713   |
Ranked #6 of 11 Bryson City B&B and Inns
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Australia
“I certainly cannot recommend this place!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2012

We are experienced travellers always looking for interesting places to stay. This inn is not what you may imagine, and certainly not as described in the website. The building is listed because of its architectural interest, as an example of rustic methodology. It is, however, dark, musty, and ugly. Rough, cheap and crude building techniques do not make for comfort and amenity. There are no mountain views, only glimpses of the backyards of Bryson City. Service was perfunctory. A cursory "here, sign our form and here are your keys. We stayed in the log cabin, which is NOT a log cabin but a modular home, situated down the hill on a separate property. To get to it you leave the Inn, go down town and drive up another road. It was dark, musty and pretty crummy. No view! The food was some of the worst I have ever tasted - BLT soup! Tired brown lettuce in the ration of salad, chicken fried pork which was hard and absolutely tasteless. Breakfast was so bland and sloppy and tasteless that I went to Macdonalds for coffee and oatmeal.
I cannot believe the previous rave reviews - either these people stayed elsewhere, or have no expectations.

Room Tip: Stay anywhere else!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
George B, Owner at Fryemont Inn, responded to this review, August 31, 2012
This reveiw is disturbing in many ways. After 30+ years as innkeepers, we understand that our Inn cannot be all things to all people, and that the Fryemont is a unique place that will not appeal to everyone. We welcome and appreciate constructive criticism. But to say that our Inn is "ugly"? I think Richard Sharp Smith, the famous architect who designed the Fryemont would have disagreed. The BLT soup was the "worst thing" he ever tasted? The authors of several country inn cookbooks who have asked for and published that recipe would disagree. Our log cabin is a "modular home"? Tell that to Gerald Goodman who built that log building in 1978 and chinked it himself, with the help of a local craftsman. But the most disturbing comment was the one slung at 4 generations of guests who have returned again and again to their "home away from home" in the mountains. To suggest that they are stupid and unsophisticatd is just plain insulting.

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
Fayetteville, North Carolina, USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2012

Our family planned a trip to the mountains and my parents wanted to stay at the Fryemont Inn so we really had no choice but to stay here. We were a bit nervous about booking a room with no A/C in the middle of summer but it turned out to be just fine with the windows open and the box fan they provide. Our room was very simple with a little desk, lounging chair, and dresser to go along with the bed. My only complaint about that was that the pillows weren't very comfortable. The bathroom was clean and big enough although we had a little trouble getting a consistent temperature in the shower. It'd be really hot one second and cold the next. Those complaints are minor though because the room is what we expected: an charming historic lodge with basic amenities. The lobby area and porch was nice although we didn't spend a lot of time out there. My parents stayed in one of the newer suites in the adjoining building and I wasn't all that impressed. They have TVs and A/C over there but I don't go to the mountains to spend all my time in a hotel room. I preferred our lodge room to be honest. When we checked in, all the rooms had the doors open for rooms that people hadn't checked into yet and we noticed that the double bed rooms were extremely spacious so if that's a concern for people, you will have plenty of room in one of the bigger lodge rooms.

Breakfast and dinner at the restaurant is included (except alcohol and tip) with your room. Since we only stayed two nights, we didn't mind eating there but I think I'd be a little tired of it if you stayed any longer. The breakfast has standard options - pancakes, eggs, omelets, fresh fruit, etc. - and we were very pleased with it. The dinners weren't bad either as they have quite a few entrees to try - various fish, prime rib, steak, and lamb. The sides, which vary from night to night, are family style and the dinner comes with a soup, salad, and dessert too. We went to the bar for a drink each night before dinner and were a little annoyed to wait so long for our drinks as it wasn't all that busy in there. We also noticed there were quite a few beers on their menu that they didn't have stocked and according to the waitress/bartender, haven't been stocked for weeks.

I think this is a great place for a weekend trip but if I was staying any longer, I'd want to stay somewhere that would give me the option to try out all the different restaurants in the area. It definitely gives you a rustic, mountain experience and for somebody that doesn't frequent the mountains very often, it was enjoyable.

Room Tip: Don't worry about no air conditioning in the lodge rooms. I was very comfortable in the middle o...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
New Bern, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2012

I did not stay here, but I did eat here. Go for the trout! There are several different choices, pick one. You can't go wrong. Staff is awesome and the hotel has a view that's perfect for relaxing after dinner.
Here's the restaurant review I put together on Globetrekkin':

Room Tip: I did not stay here, but I ate in the restaurant. Great food!
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
Alpharetta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2012

With family and friends we spent 4 days in June celebrating our 60th wedding anniversary at the Freymont Inn. There were 27 of us. From our first phone call for reservations we knew we had the perfect spot for our celebration. The staff was polite and attentive. Monica helped us find a fabulous florist and cake designer. I can't say enough about her gracious southern charm. Between the good, down home food and the wonderful porch and great room, we felt like we were in our own living room but without the work of hosting so many. Our guests raved about their experience. We will return for our 65th!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Maryville, Tennessee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2012

I booke this b&b on line easily. It was just what we expected. Rustic, historical, friendly. Our room was ready and clean. Box fans provided because no ac, but we knew that. Nice walk to Bryson City. Restaurant, tavern and pool on site. Rockers and game tables available.

Room Tip: Cabins had better view and looked more comfortable. Don't plan on staying in room but to sleep
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Bloomington, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2012

Began my experience with the Fryemont over 25 years ago and every time I find something new to enjoy. This place is full of charm, and comfort. The area is full of varied adventures on top of that. Food was delicious and many things to choose from. If you want to get away from the haried lifestyle you live, I highly recommend this beautiful, historic getaway. I myself have never seen anything dirty in the multitude of visits, everything has always been spotless. I have stayed in the lodge many times, and several of the cabins. I am always delighted at the fresh foods prepared for breakfast and dinner, which by the way is included in the room charge. I enjoy the ambience in the dining room as much as the meal. The Browns definitely take care of you!!

Room Tip: The cabins are a very short walk to the main lodge so it wasnt a bother in the least. They are newer...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2012

We began our Fryemont Experience in 1992 from a Bryson City Chamber of Commerce brochure ad, and have been blown away ever since. The owners, The Browns, are masters of the Inn Experience, caring for every need of their guests. True professionals.

Our first visit was in a Main Lodge room (in 92)...clawfoot tub, walls of windows in the Ash paneled room, with cool mountain breezes lofting up the mountain that the Inn rests into the side of. Main lodge central room is warm and inviting...emense fireplace beside a board/card game table with porch where you can rock away to the serenity of the Smokys.

We had more main lodge stays. Once when we had two rooms with connectiong bath (2+ 4 children) and late in the night we told ghost stories, and then innocently tip-toed through the Inn's halls looking for the legendary daughter of the original builder/owner, who's spirit was reported as being present occasionally. It was a fun family scare time...we ran back to the room and hid under the sheets!!!

Since then we have discovered the Stone Cottage Suites, with kitchen, fireplace, and jaccuzzi (#4 I think), and a private porch that looks over the mountainside into the National Park.

Take in the rafting, Great Smoky Mountan Railroad, Cherokee Reservation, with the passion play "Unto These Hills", the story of the Cherokee People's displacement to Oklahoma...a must see, and hiking, riding, and relaxing. Don't forget to get some boiled peanuts, and then go to Harras Casino in Cherokee.

The most wonderful part of a Fryemont Experience is that your room comes with full country breakfast, made to order, and a fantastic dinner menu served family style, and most excellent.

This may sound like a hired review...but it is NOT..My name is Stephen Dean, Austin, TX. This is my true and accurate opinion and experience.

BTW...The annual Halloween party is the BEST. Dress up, have fun, dance a lot, and WALK to your room/cottage safely.

Great time, good fun, wonderful people, well done.

Stephen and Mary Dean
Austin, Texas

ps. We're booked for the 2012 Halloween party...are you?...if so, see you there.

Room Tip: Main lodge, top of the main stairs, I think it is #204. Two walls of windows...wonderful! Stone Cott...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with family

Been to Fryemont Inn? Share your experiences!