“No Privacy” 3 of 5 stars

Augusta, Georgia
5 attraction reviews
“No Privacy”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

We came here because there is a lot to do in the area and didn't want to chance not being able to reserve a campsite in the National Park Campground. The Campground as a whole is not too bad, albeit a bit expensive, but you're in tourist country. The main issue I had was that the campsites are far too close together. There was literally no privacy whatsoever. It was nice to have a campsite right on the creek, but the hoards of other campers in the campground were constantly running back and forth through our site to access the creek which was rather annoying. When I'm sitting around the campfire at my campsite I don't care for a steady stream of people walking, tripping, jumping etc over my feet. Although there are rules about the number of people per campsite, our neighbors (who were less than 5 feet away, the campsites are rediculously close to one another) had at least 20 people at their site and were playing guitar, bongos, harmonica, and maracas throughout the evening. Sigh.

All of that aside, it's a fine area for families with young children, the facilities apperared well maintained and clean. We did have moments of peace where we were able to get what we wanted out of the experience. Most likely I wouldn't go back to camp, due to the feeling that you were camping in the middle of a playground at times. If you're the type of camper who doesn't mind a lot of interaction with your neighbor, then it's a great place to camp.

Georgia
“Favorite Annual Vacation”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

My family loves this beautiful, relaxing campground. Camping on the creek with the sound of the water going by is the most relaxing ever! Hiking and activities galore for the kids and we always meet new and exciting friends with each trip back. This past July was our 5 year camping here and it is just the beginning. The owners are the nicest people and always eager to make sure your stay is unforgettable. The general store is cute as a button and the tube rentals are the best value around.

Visited July 2013
Candler, North Carolina
“Deep Creek Tube Center and Campground”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

I loved this campground. Our campsite was right across from the cabins which are so charming. Many of the cabins are authentic being approximately 100 years old. When I peeked inside one, I could see the addition of the bathroom. The landscaping in that area is so visually appealing with nicely mowed grass and split rail fences that add to the charm. I read another review that said it was too crowded. I disagree. This is not a massive campground with hundreds of sites. It felt small and cozy. Everything is very well kept and clean and right on the river. The morning we were leaving the owner rode around on his golf cart picking up everyone's trash. I've never experienced this at a campground before. The playground, fort, and petting zoo were in great working order, and all the kids in our group greatly enjoyed them. Renting tubes from them works wonderfully. We have always rented tubes from them, but this was the first year we ever camped in the area. I cannot wait to return!!!

Madison, Alabama
4 attraction reviews
“Great Tubing”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013

We went tubing at Deep Creek, and rented our Tubes from Deep Creek Tube Center. They were competitively priced, and very experienced at getting any number of tubes attached to a vehicle! Deep Creek Tube Center rents tubes, life jackets, sell creek shoes, some hiking gear and refreshments.

It's only a short drive from there to the National park where everyone is tubing nearly every day -- even when it's raining a little bit. The tubing is a great family event. For younger kids, there are shallows where your child can play in the water and for older (we went with 6 & 7 year olds), they can tube down the river. There's a good stretch of creek where children who cannot swim can simply stand up -- if you go up river too far though, there are deep spots.

All Over
6 attraction reviews
“Crowded”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013

Picturesque, nice valley view... Until you pan back and see your neighbors 20 feet away on either side of your campsite.

We were unprepared for the population density here - much more crowded than for our taste. The facility seems a bit overwhelmed by the numbers, too. They clean the shower buildings once per day and they are pretty gross well before cleaning time.

The grounds has some nice kid-friendly areas and we were very happy that the kids got some quality kid time in while we were here.

The staff were kind and helpful, and the main office/store is top-notch.

We are new to trailer-camping, and while we were not disappointed with this site or with tubing / zip-lining in the area, I think we'll probably look for a place that has either more room or fewer campsites.

Visited July 2013