“Nice but far from city” 4 of 5 stars

Nantahala Cabins
Nantahala Cabins
Nantahala Cabins Lane and Hwy 19/74 W, Bryson City, NC 28713   |
Hollywood
“Nice but far from city”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2012

The cabins were all that we expected from the website. The steep winding gravel road up to the office was a little scary and the "office" at the top was more like a construction shed, not what I imagined but it really didn't matter. The cabin had everything we needed and was well kept. The location was further from Byson City than I realized and we ended up driving more than planned. My kids were too little for the nearby rafting, but I imagine if you're into rafting this is a great area to stay.
There's no playground or area for kids except for a field of grass down the hill from us. Would be a better place for a romantic/adult getaway then one with small kids. Some cabins have hot tubs which I wish I chose but didn't. Overall pleased.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

7 people have reviewed this hotel

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Charlotte NC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2011

The staff lives on site and was available 24 hours on call, I had no problems,service was quick and friendly. The area is entirely safe, several cabins are located near but separate from one another and allowed a sense of privacy. I had a king size bed, fireplace and a large covered porch with hot tub. The kitchen was fully appointed and the bathroom was large.The bed was comfortable, you could over sleep. Really relaxing and romantic get away, the cool crisp October air in contrast to the 102 degrees hot tub was perfect at night. One night it rained and that sounded like music sitting in the tub facing the woods.This was an easy place to find, location is minutes away from lots of rafting, stables, hikes and nearby towns of interest. There are some very good places to eat within a five minutes drive from the entrance to the property but with the fire pit and grill area outside and the kitchen it is not necessary to eat out.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
N.C.
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2010

Having seen the signs and convenient location of the entrance to these cabins along the road that passes through Nantahala Gorge near Bryson City, NC, I decided to book a weekend at one of their cabins with a hot tub. The office to check in is actually at the very top of a dirt mountain drive with sharp U-bends and loose gravel and my 5-speed car was unable to negotiate the last bend. A person had to come down to the cabin I was checking into to take care of the financial transactions. I was brought up the mountain in a 4-wheel drive to process my credit card and was left to stand waiting in the (not so tidy) kitchen of the owners until the charge went through. The owners apparently also do construction and materials and heavy equipment were parked and stacked all over the “office” area. I was returned to the cabin and at that time I was told to call if I needed anything. Things went well until an (unknown at the time) area-wide power outage occurred between midnight and 2 a.m. We were without heat, lights, ability to use the kitchen appliances for the duration of our stay (last day of visit). A hard-wired smoke alarm inside cabin started giving short bursts of loud noise around 3 a.m. and continued to sound off until a steady blast of noise by 8 a.m. Nobody answered cell phone calls to toll free number as well as to the local office number. Nobody physically appeared on the property throughout the entire time until we packed up and left for good around 10 a.m. There were no candles, no flashlights, no ladders to climb to disable the malfunctioning alarm. We escaped briefly before leaving for good to a McDonalds to get some coffee and breakfast only to return and find from other guests that no one appeared to check on the property or guests. When finally was able to reach someone later that day, the person appeared dumbfounded as to what he could have done to assist their guests. I left a message for one of the owners to call me back, but after 3 days never heard from them. I finally called again and explained the situation. More argumentative than sympathetic, they simply felt they were absolved from any responsibility to their guests because there was no power. I have friends that handle vacation rentals (where they reside as well as off site) and they unanimously agreed that the least these owners/ employees could’ve done was check on guests with a status report and to see if they could assist us in any way. A little bit of effort and goodwill would’ve gone a long way to easing our discomfort and dismay. Please beware of staying at these cabins unless you come fully prepared for all emergencies

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family

Been to Nantahala Cabins? Share your experiences!