“Nice Hotel” 5 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Irmo, South Carolina
“Nice Hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2014

We stayed at HIE for two days. The hotel room was very clean and neat with microwave, fridge, and other amenities. The breakfast was very good and the staff did a great job in keeping up with the crowd. It was Appalachian State move in day, so to say the least, was very, very busy. But all in all was a pleasant stay.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Hickory, North Carolina
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2014

I C/I on 8/7/14.I told the Front Desk Clerk,Michael I would be paying in cash at C/I.He said,I will need a credit Card for incidentals.I said Sure.As he finished me,he handed me the registration to sign,He had Used my card for my stay.,(He Forgot That Quick!!).I said I wanted to pay cash for my stay at C/I.He said for me not to worry it was just an Authorization.,since I paid cash the card would not be used in Any Way.I went to my room & called Front Desk the room was Terrible!!,It was not up to HIE Standards!!.I had A king Suite,The Manager Immediately Upgraded me to a 2 room king Suite,It required Cleaning, So THE MANAGER CAME AND CLEANED THE 2ND ROOM.SO I WAS FINE UNTIL I FOUND OUT ON 8/9/14 THAT THE CARD HAD BEEN USED.(AUTHORIZATION,HOLD OR CHARGE).THIS IS UNACCEPTABLE!!! WHY WAS MY BANK MADE AWARE OF MY STAY IF I PAID CASH AT C/I? THIS IS A HUGE VIOLATION,WITH IDENITY THEFT AND OTHER ISSUES THAT CAN ARRISE, WHEN U HAVE A CREDIT CARD.I WAS SO UPSET!!!! I WILL NEVER USE MY CREDIT CARD FOR INCIDENTALS HERE EVER AGAIN.

Stayed August 2014, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Boone, responded to this review, August 27, 2014
Dear Laura M,

Thank you for your review regarding your recent stay at Holiday Inn Express Boone, NC. It is regrettable you were not satisfied with the service you received. I would like to address this with you further. I have sent you a private message to obtain more information about your stay. I look forward to hearing from you and being of further assistance.

Karen G.
Case Manager
IHGCare
Pittsboro, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2014

After having driven 6 hours (about 160 miles) on the Blue Ridge Parkway, we were ready to relax and have dinner. Boone seemed to be a good exit with possible options for lodging. I am a Priority Club Member so I chose the HI Express -- a good decision. Conveniently located on Blowing Rock Road, a main thoroughfare, it was easy to find and in a good location. Our room on the 5th (top) floor offered a view of the mountains, and after dark, the lightning resulting from thunderstorms offered a completely different view! We had a balcony room, which is 'standing room' only, but we rolled out the desk chair and another straight chair, and there was space to sit (barely). You need to ask for the balcony room; not all rooms have them. Staff was professional and polite; complimentary breakfast was better than average (more choices, heated items), and for dinner, we had only to cross the street to Chili's. I'm sure there are others nearby as well.

Lower floors probably are noisier because the hotel is on a fairly busy street, and there is a Lowe's Home Improvement next door; higher floors provide both the better view and separate you from the street noise.

Property is non-smoking which includes balconies, but just outside the back door, there was a "sand-can" ashtray and I noticed that staff and guests smoked there.

Room Tip: Highest floor is the 5th; best views and furthest from street noise. Front side has better views of...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Grand Rapids, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2014 via mobile

Stayed for one night in route to a family wedding. I chose this hotel based on other reviews and then got worried when I read some negative ones. We found our room on the fifth floor to be clean and comfortable. We loved the balcony but a suggestion would be to put some outdoors chairs and a small table there. We did not enjoy the cigarette and pot smoke of some of the other guests on their balconies even tho the entire hotel is non smoking. The bathroom was. Nice and updated. The breakfast was great with more variety than usual and the breakfast area was large. Staff were very helpful. I would highly recommend this hotel based on our experience.

Stayed July 2014
Painesville, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2014 via mobile

For everyone's safety, I want to warn you about the dangerous whirlpool/shower combo we had at this HIE in Boone. Upon check in I was greeted by a vey friendly front desk reception who told me that as a platinum member, I had been upgraded to their Executive King Room with a whirlpool tub. My very first question was, does it also have a shower...the answer was yes. Once in the room, I realized the bathroom had a large whirlpool tub with a shower head added up high. It was hard to climb in and out of the whirlpool tub. Once in the tub I immediately almost fell right on my tailbone. The tub is slightly slanted towards the drain and this was just enough to make your entire body want to slide straight to the drain. It was so hard to get your footing. I was so worried I was going to slip, fall and break bones or worse. I warned my husband before his shower and he went in with caution and came out and said, that was the most dangerous shower I have ever been in. He said he felt unsafe because he was sliding all around. We also had an extra bonus because the tub wouldn't drain so we were able to stand in all the dirty water while showering. Upon checkout, I told the front desk of the dangerous shower situation and the lady said I will let maintenance now the tub is broken. I explained it wasn't broken, it was the design. This whirlpool tub was not intended to act as a stand up shower as well. Please remember to avoid this type of room if you are a person who likes to shower instead of soaking in a whirlpool tub. Plain and simple this is a very dangerous shower and I don't want to see anyone get hurt. I can't possibly be the only person to complain about this set up.
In general I thought this entire hotel was in need of an update. Was looking very dated and could use a freshen up. The staff was all very friendly and the breakfast was HIE average. Their guest laundry was nice. The washer was free but you had to pay $1.75 for dryer.
I can not recommend this as a 4 or 5 star HIE, it is very average and showing it's age. However, it was a clean hotel with friendly staff.

Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Elizabeth K, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Boone, responded to this review, July 27, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We appreciate your feedback on the design of the whirlpool bathtub. We understand that the design of the tub is deeper than the standard tubs and can be more difficult to get in and out of. We apologize for the inconvenience this may have caused you. We hope the safety rails installed in the tub/shower helped you feel safer, upon the entry and exit of the tub. The drain on these tubs as you noticed is also centered in the middle for faster drainage, however they have to be in the up position in order to prevent the guest from having to stand in the old water. We also understand from time to time these things do clog and therefore drain more slowly or not at all. Because of your feedback, we were able to ask Maintenance to take a look at it and make sure it is in good working order. We do apologize if our hot continental breakfast did not meet your expectations. We certainly strive to exceed our guests expectations and apologize for falling short. Again, our guests feedback is invaluable to us and we thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. Safe travels!
ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

A large event was held in Boone, NC and we stayed at this hotel. Note: there were 600 people attending this event so other hotels were used as well.

This hotel bent over backwards to accommodate their guests. When there was not enough seating for breakfast in the "common" area, they opened up one of the meeting rooms with tables and chairs set up and we could eat in there.

The staff that worked in setting up breakfast in the morning did an excellent job.
The staff that serviced our rooms were thorough and fast.
All staff we encountered during our week stay were friendly and eager to please. Thank you for a good experience.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Albemarle, North Carolina
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2014

We stayed on the third floor on July 4th. The cost was WAY too expensive for the filthy room we were in! It was very clear that the people before us smoked in the room and it reeked of cigarettes! The balcony was covered in cigarette butts too! There was black hair all over the bathroom floor and in the tub! Thank God I only had to endure it for one over-priced night! The beds were comfy, but it did not make up for the dirty, stinky room!!! I WILL NOT stay here again! Don't waste your money!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Elizabeth K, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Boone, responded to this review, July 19, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We're sorry you had a poor experience with regard to the cleanliness of your room. Even though we are a 100% non-smoking hotel, and we require all guests to sign an acknowledgement of this policy upon check-in, some guests choose to ignore the policy. We're grateful you brought the cleanliness/cigarette smell it to our attention so that the necessary measures may be taken to ensure this does not happen again. We truly wish we had the opportunity to know about this occurrence when it happened, as we would have jumped at the opportunity to rectify the situation and make you more comfortable. We hope you will reconsider staying with us some other time so that we can provide you with the expectations you deserve as a loyal guest. Again, thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. Our guests feedback is invaluable.
Safe travels!

Been to Holiday Inn Express Boone? Share your experiences!