“Great place for Breakfast in Boone!” 5 of 5 stars

(828) 263-0300
Menu
Improve this listing
Ranked #7 of 128 Restaurants in Boone
Good for: Dining on a budget
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch
Chapel Hill, North Carolina
“Great place for Breakfast in Boone!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2014

Melanie's is a fantastic place for breakfast in Boone with creative dishes and an emphasis on local food. Two thumbs up!

• Visited October 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Saint Augustine, Florida
“I Don't Get The Hype...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2014

My friend and I had heard really, really good things about Melanie's, so we decided to stop there for breakfast during a trip into Boone, NC.

My first impression was poor. You do not seat yourself here, at least not on a busy Saturday morning. You have to give your name to someone, and they put you on a list. No surprise. While the restaurant was crowded, a total of five employees looked at us, but not one came over to get our name. It took a solid five minutes before someone did. If you don't think five minutes is a long time, try holding your breath that long. Moving on...

Once seated (and that didn't take long), service was perfectly fine, with one exception I'll touch on later. We were seated at a two-person table right by the kitchen door, and right by the front door. At one point, the fur on some little girl's hood started dipping into my food because the entrance area got too crowded.

Initially, I was surprised by their "we buy our dishes at flea markets and thrift stores so none of it matches" motif. That's been done. No, I'm sorry, it hasn't been done. It's been overdone. Several times. I'm sure the Appalachian State dorm dwellers using cinder blocks for entertainment centers dig it, but it's a tired approach. It's no big deal, but just something I noticed.

My second issue was the lack of sausage. They only had some sure-to-be abomination called "soysage". Now, if the owners had some problem with how pigs are slaughtered in order to provide us meat eating humans with yummy sausage, I could at least respect that that. Melanie's, though, apparently has no issue serving real bacon, so the poor little piggie angle can't be the reason. Even my biscuit was sans sausage gravy. I don't know how Melanie's gets away with that because, in the south, I believe that's a felony. Instead, the biscuit was served with a mushroom gravy. At 51 years old, I've never had mushroom gravy (which was good, had it been on a steak) on a breakfast biscuit, and I wasn't about to start now. But, given their apparent aversion to sausage, that was my only option. Oh, and there was something with the word "tofu" incorporated into the name so, naturally, I avoided that.

I ate the biscuit with only some butter.

The bacon was good, but only two slices?

I ordered three eggs, over medium. Any mildly qualified short order cook should be able to pull this off. What I got, instead of three eggs over medium, was the fried egg trifecta: one over easy, one over medium and one over hard. I don't even know how they would do that, but they did.

Finally, I ordered toast. "White toast, please". I was informed that they only had a multi-grain bread. "That'll be fine". What the waitress brought to me was something that looked like the bottom half of an English muffin, cut in half. Whatever it was, it was not "toast" as the civilized western world has come to know "toast".

Oh, one more thing: Maybe it's me, but when I have coffee at a restaurant, I've come to expect the server to come back after a time and ask if I'd like some more. That didn't happen here. I was never asked if I wanted more coffee. Sorry, but that's a solid service "fail" in my book.

Overall, this place is average. The food is... fine. There's nothing special about it. I don't understand the "this place is great" and "I love this place" comments, unless those things are true due to a lack of alternatives within walking distance of Appalachian State.

I'm sure the wanna' be hippies at ASU love this place, but for someone who wants a solid breakfast, this just isn't the place to go. If you like sausage with your breakfast, go elsewhere. If you like real toast, made from actual bread, go elsewhere. If you want more than one cup of coffee, go elsewhere.

Overall, this place deserves no lauding praise. It was okay for what it is, but nothing even approaching "excellent".

This is not a restaurant I would recommend to others, nor is it a restaurant I would visit again. If I had to drive a half hour for a real breakfast, it would be well worth it.

• Visited January 2014
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Patrick S, Owner at Melanie's Food Fantasy, responded to this review, January 20, 2014
Hello Steve. It's hard for us to reply to a review when it veers off from what we actually do into your perception of what you think we are trying to do. What we do is pretty straightforward. We serve a diverse audience of eaters and have lots of vegetarian and vegan options. We value creativity in our dishes, make food from scratch, and use lots of local ingredients including the toast that most of our customers love which is made locally by Stick Boy Bread Co. We do not offer white bread, our gravy does not have sausage, and we do not serve sausage. Our menu states all of this. Our small restaurant is often crowded, and if you come when we are busy you may have to wait for the host to finish helping the servers bus and wipe down tables before you your name is put on the list. We are a small business and cannot offer you the unlimited seating that your review implies is industry standard. You perused our menu, you placed your order, and we are confident that the food met our high standards for quality all day. I am genuinely sorry if the service you received was not attentive, but it seems from the snarky and cynical appraisals of our restaurant as well as the 17,000 students of Appalachian State University that perhaps you just didn't take the time to orient yourself to your surroundings and and our menu. We would not have been offended if you had decided that the items listed on our menu were not for you, and we would have sent you on your way with a cup of coffee as a token of appreciation for stopping in. There are lots of ways to serve breakfast, and we are proud of what we do.
Best,
Patrick Sullivan
Orlando, Florida
“LOVE this place!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2013

Great food, friendly customer service, and interesting décor. I read the reviews on this place and was looking forward to checking it out for breakfast. It is terrific! I had an awesome waiter and the food was fresh, healthy, and tasty. I had eggs, potatoes, bacon, and pancakes. I live in Florida and truly wish we had a Melanie's restaurant in my hometown!

• Visited November 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Charlotte, NC
“Nice Breakfast place....Gluten free bread available”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2013

Melanie's gets busy on weekend mornings so planning ahead really pays off. Great variety of options on the menu, good coffee and attentive wait staff make this a very nice breakfast place. We both had omelettes - the herb specialty and my friend had the Mexican style omelette....both very tasty. The home fries were served nice and hot and nicely browned. When we asked about gluten free bread for the toast they were quick to offer a nice rice bread. The apple butter was also a good compliment to the toast. Based on a good breakfast experience I will surely give Melanie's a try at lunch time when in the Boone area again.

• Visited November 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Ormond Beach, Florida
“Amazing!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2013

We ate here twice it was so good! Don't leave here without trying the pancakes! They are ridiculous!

Eggs florentine, Belgium waffles, and incurred bacon are a great option, too! Gravy on biscuits is ideal for mushroom lovers :)