“delicious smoothies & soups” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Asian, Café, Wine Bar
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Dessert
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Dessert
Boone, NC
“delicious smoothies & soups”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

I don't drink coffee, so I can't rate those drink options, but this is a favorite place to pick up a quick snack. They make delicious smoothies and the daily soups are so good & served piping hot. Homemade baked goods and chocolates are also available. Espresso News is hidden back behind Footsloggers & the parking is a little cramped, but it's definitely worth visiting for some fresh brew or a smoothie.

• Visited March 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

81% Recommend
Boone, North Carolina
“hip cafe.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2012

Espresso News is tucked away on a backstreet in downtown Boone, NC-- luckily the size of Boone's "downtown" makes it pretty easy to find. I frequent Espresso News at least weekly-- NOT for the atmosphere, but for the quality coffee (they know how to make an americano) and the quick (quickest in town, hands down) service. The people behind the counter may or may not speak and you may or may not feel "welcomed" there-- it is not the friendliest crowd in town. It is a hub of "Boone hip" clients and students, professors, and tourists. It is clean, they know their stuff, and it is really the best place in town to get a cup of coffee. I HIGHLY recommend going in for coffee and the some of the most legit scones in town. Another perk is that is it open late-- till 12 last time I was there.

• Visited December 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Boone, North Carolina
“Best coffee in town”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2012

Espresso news is my favorite place for coffee in Boone. They roast their own coffee there, and it if your lucky to come when the owner roasts, you smell the place already from far. Also make their own chocolate, and pastries. Pastries are usually sold out pretty quick though.

However, it can be very crowded during university semester, due to all the students there.

• Visited November 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Istanbul, Turkey
“Excellent coffee and friendly environment”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

Visited Espresso News several times on a recent trip to Boone. The coffee is top notch and the homemade offerings are a nice complement. The blueberry muffin was one of the best I've had. Busy place but has seating upstairs. Staff and patrons were very friendly. Enjoyable place to hang out, read or use wifi when in Boone.

• Visited October 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Apex, North Carolina
“Mochas are great!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012

I have been here twice and have gotten the white mocha both times. I ordered it the first time and it was perfect - not too sweet (a lot of places make theirs sickeningly sweet), not too strong, etc. They took several minutes to make it (there was no one in front of us), so that made me and my sister think they took the time to make a good one! My sister got the regular mocha and she loved hers as well!

We went upstairs to find some seating, which was difficult to find on a Friday afternoon (I guess it's the place to be?), but we found a couple chairs and a small table by a window. The upstairs no longer has books like people mentioned in past reviews - it just has chairs, couches, bar stools, etc. It is quite small upstairs, so there is not actually that much seating. Downstairs has tables and chairs and bar stools looking out the windows. It is very cute and cozy. Me and my sister decided to come back because of the good mochas we got and the laid-back atmosphere.

The second time we went, we both ordered the same drinks as last time, but were disappointed to find that they had jipped us off by not filling up our cups all the way. There was about an inch or so off the top that they didn't give us. So that kind of made us irritated, because the drink was $4 for a small, and we didn't get about 1/4 of the drink. My only complaints about Espresso News - it is pretty expensive, the people working there aren't very friendly, and they can cheat you out of some of your money by not giving you exactly what you paid for.

But Espresso News would be the perfect place to go on a chilly day to get a hot coffee and have a cozy place to chill out for a while, while you study, do homework, read, or just hang out with your friends. Which is exactly what a lot of people do. And some of these people stay for HOURS, which is not really fair to those who paid for drinks and can't find a place to sit, but I guess that's what you get with a small place that sells good food/ drinks. I recommend Espresso News to anyone who wants a good cup of coffee, even if they are willing to pay a little more for it.

• Visited September 2012