“Great start to our vacation!” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Red Onion Cafe is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #29 of 127 Restaurants in Boone
Good for: Families with children, Outdoor seating
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
“Great start to our vacation!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013

This was our first meal in Boone and it set the bar pretty high. Four ladies had lunch here on a Saturday, fairly late in the day. We were able to get a lovely outdoor table and had excellent service. The make-your-own lunch combo is a real winner: from a selection of soups, salads, sandwiches and quiches, you can pick any two for about $7.95 so you get exactly what you want and at a very reasonable price. The specials of the day looked so good that I ordered the roasted red pepper soup with a multi-cheese quiche. Others had a BLT, and creative salads, portions were quite generous. A nice wine selection rounded out a wonderful lunch.

• Visited June 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

NC
“Expected better”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

Seems like a nice place but on our visit, service was dreadfully slow and poor. My son's salad came out after his entree, my dinner salad was messed up three ways...slow, no dressing and without the toppings I requested. I had a Chinese salad that came with a supposed sweet chili dressing that really seemed just sweet. The other meals were fine but not overwhelming. Average.

• Visited June 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Blairsville, Georgia
“Great food in the mountains!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013 via mobile

We are visiting Boone and read about the Red Onion and had to try it. I had the Wild Mushroom Lagsana and my husband had spinach and artichoke quesadillas.He also had the homemade onion rings. We highly recommend this. We defiantly will return whenever in Boone.

• 5 of 5 stars Food
Atlanta, GA
“Definitely recommend!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

My husband and I were in Boone for just one night following our drive along the Blue Ridge Parkway. We decided on Red Onion Cafe based on the recommendation of our hotel's front desk representative. It had a great atmosphere, very cozy and inviting. We shared the artichoke dip appetizer which was very tasty. I was pleasantly surprised that it was more artichokes and less mayonnaise as it should be! For my entree I had the rainbow trout which was also very good. Everything was fresh and delicious and the service was exceptional. We both loved it.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Bucharest, Romania
“Great lunch offer”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

We were in Boone, looking for a place to grab something quick and small to eat, and which does not belong to one of those junk food chains. The Red Onion Café seemed to us like a place where students like to go.
They had a very affordable lunch menu, which we decided to take. We had the soup of the day, which was black bean soup with rice and some salad. As the dessert, we went for the house specialty, Horace Cookie. Everything tasted very good, and sizes of each course were just perfect, not too small, not too big.
There was not much gonig on in the café, as we were there in the afternoon, and I believe that students had already left for vacation. Anyhow, the atmosphere was pleasant, with some relaxing music playing and a very friendly waitress.
Altogether, not a haute cuisine restaurant, but a place I would recommend and go back anytime.

• 4 of 5 stars Food