“Great Service -- goof food” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Red Onion Cafe is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #30 of 128 Restaurants in Boone
Good for: Families with children, Outdoor seating
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Charlotte
“Great Service -- goof food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2013

We chose this place at random on our first trip to Boone ... being close to the college I really didn.t expect much. We were pleasantly surprised. We heard a local recommending the Reuben to someone and figured we'd give it a try ... one of the best we have ever had. Also had the homemade soup of the day ... Sundried tomato and Gouda ... another good choice. Service was exceptional. Prices were very reasonable ... atmosphere was so-so.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Newnan, Georgia
“Good”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2013 via mobile

Went with a large group and they took good care of us. The French Onion soup was supposed to be a specialty so I had to try it. Nothing special I'm afraid. I had the meatball sandwich - it was very good. My husband had the Coffee Sirloin and it was also very good. I would go there again and try other items.

Visited May 2013
Greenville, North Carolina
“Very good food, good choice among the other interesting Boone options”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

We had a table of 7 and had a variety of sandwiches, seafood, and burgers for dinner. Some had french onion soup and said it was tasty. Everyone enjoyed their food. Wine and beer selection was good. We were able to get a reservation on a Friday night on a busy Boone weekend, which was nice. There are many unique restaurants in the downtown Boone area. This one has the relaxed atmosphere as some others, but with a broader menu with something for everyone.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
B Rock
“Lunch? Maybe...Dinner? - no thanks.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2013

We have lunched here several times in the past and have always found it pretty good for a sandwich or a 'not so quick' lunch. Recently however, we went for dinner and we were all disappointed with the limited number of entrees on the menu. Even though we had planned on a full dinner, ost of our party, considering the limited options went for soup/sandwich selections, one for a 'burger bar' hamburger and I chose the Coffee rubbed sirloin.

Our burger eater was well satisfied with his choice - found his burger flavorful and cooked as he had ordered it. He rated it as 'well above average' but nothing special. Our two sandwich eaters were similarly satisfied, but not impressed.

I regretted my choice as soon as I tasted my "coffee rubbed sirloin"...a dry piece of meat, ordered medium rare but delivered medium well - and luke warm. The baked potato with it was also somewhat cold and was undercooked.

Our service was quite good - a friendly young lady who was a student at ASU (which is across the street from the restaurant and which is probably responsible for most of the customers who come here). She was attentive, kept our water and tea glasses full and really did a good job.

There are enough excellent restaurants in this area that I could recommend - Since I consider this place only average, I would suggest other options. But, if you are visiting ASU and want a place close by that you can walk to, I wouldn't rule them out.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Sunny Flordia
“Nice place-great food.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2013

It was a bit pricey but worth it. The menu changes and just about anything on the menu is really good. Go early as it fills up.

Visited May 2013