“Wedding Planning Experience” 4 of 5 stars

3.0 of 5 Inn   |   3236 Shulls Mill Road, Boone, NC 28607   |
Ranked #3 of 8 Boone B&B and Inns
“Wedding Planning Experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2008

My fiance and I are planning our wedding which will be April 2009 and will be having the reception at Crestwood. We have been working with Briana and she has been delightful and very helpful, even recommending people to contact for things such as flowers, DJ, rental items, etc. The Inn is very homey and exactly what we wanted. Being a smaller facility, they do not have all the amenities you would find elsewhere but they are by no means lacking either. After reading some of the other negative reviews on this site, I must say that we have encountered none of what they mentioned and must wonder how much of their reported negative experience was "self-inflicted" by the person writing the review. We would strongly recommend Crestwood for wedding parties under 150 and the smaller, the better due to the intimate nature of the facility.

• Liked — Beautiful setting
  • Disliked — No dislikes yet.
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
lawton
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2008

We had our family vacation in Boone and stayed at the CrestWood Inn, the staff was wonderful, the room was very nice more the I expected. The food was to die for!!! I must say the meals were the best part. Thank you to all the staff for the wonderful stay.

• Liked — the food
  • Disliked — everything was wonderful
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2008

Fantastic location - off the beaten path, but still close enough to the Blue Ridge Parkway, Blowing Rock, or Boone. But it helps to have GPS or a good local map to know the shortcuts! The views are incredible - Grandfather Mountain, Banner Elk, Sugar Mountain are all in view from the back deck. Grass lawn is perfect for weddings.
Amenities include complimentary wine and cheese every afternoon, which was above average, and breakfast - continental style (aka carbo load!), but certainly enough variety; some on-site prepared, and some mass production.
The staff must have read the previous reviews; they could not have been more accommodating, helpful, friendly and courteous, from front desk to food service to management.
We only stayed at a Villa room, so we can't judge the rest of the facilities. The room was a little small, but clean and comfortable. TV could have been bigger, but we were not there to watch TV!. Cottages and Villa/room accommodations are varied and flexible enough to meet most family and friend rooming arrangements.
Spa facilities - hot tub could have been hotter, but could have been just timing or coincidence. Steam room and sauna were great; indoor pool was too chilly to appreciate. We did not have an opportunity to make use of the weights and exercise machines, but the equipment was certainly above average. Hours of operation could be longer - does not open till 9 AM.
We also did not make use of the restaurant, although it came highly recommended. A wedding occupied the grand dining room, and Sunday's offerings were limited to pub-style food.
All in all, we enjoyed our stay, and will certainly return.

• Liked — View
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
Charlotte NC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2008

This is a wonderful location and facility only about 4 miles from downtown Blowing Rock NC. The entire Inn overlooks Grandfather Mountain. The views and sunset from the spacious back patio are beautiful.

We stayed in one of the two bedroom two bath cottages. Very nice including a full kitchen and a nice deck to sit outside on. Maid service daily which you don't always get in a cottage.

Also the cottages and villas are pet friendly so we were able to take along our bichon frise which was a treat for all.

With the stay , guests receive a beautiful breakfast in the Inn every morning with fresh pastries, homemade muffins or coffee cake, bagels, yogurt, fresh fruit, juice. You can sit out on the patio and enjoy the breakfast and coffee....Delightul.

Also the Inn hosts a wine and cheese hour daily. No cheap stuff here....It is their house wine but a very nice grade of chardonnay served with a beautiful cheese plate, crackers and fruit.

We ate dinner in the restaurant and bar on different nights. Excellent food beautifully prepared.

We loved the bar menu and experienced the delicious lobster quesadilla which gets rave reviews in local media. We also enjoyed yummy fish and chips (fresh cod) and also the Kobe burger was very good.

In the restaurant I recommend the Sea Bass which was beautifully prepared.

Restaurant offers a nice wine list.

Our thirteen year old girls loved the location as well. Safe enough for them to take walks around and enjoy the tennis and indoor pool and jacuzzi. They particularly liked the morning breakfast overlooking the beautiful mountain range.

We are already planning our return. This time we will gather four families for a family reunion and plan to book the cottages and perhaps some rooms in the Inn. I can't imagine a better venue for this type of gathering because of the onsite amenities available....not to mention the spectacular views.

We highly recommend the Inn at Crestwood and will be back soon.

• Liked — The spectacular setting and views of the North Carolina mountains and the restaurant
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2008

We held a business meeting at the Inn at Crestwood. It was charming, beautiful, delightful, and completely enjoyable. This Inn is a little treasure and we were captivated by its charm, its ambience, its location and its view. The food was delicious and the staff was so friendly and helpful. Everyone is looking forward to going back there next year.

• Stayed June 2008, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2008

I stayed at the Crestwood Resort over three days in one of their three cottages. The cottage itself was very roomy; a two bed/two bath with the master bedroom on the main floor. It also came with a nicely equipped kitchen and a covered porch overlooking the tennis courts and the woods. All of the furnishings appeared new and nothing seemed worn down. While I did not spend a lot of time at the resort itself (I enjoyed the local golf and nature trails), the time I did spend there was very enjoyable.

I keep reading about the inhospital staff but I saw none of that. I know they recently had a lot of staffing changes so this may have solved the problem (see... Trip Advisor works!). I got some trail tips from one of the groundskeepers, restaurant tips from the front desk and overall, everyone could not have been nicer.

The resort itself is very quaint with a georgeous restaurant and an incredible bar (ask for a mango mojito!). It also has perhaps one of the greatest views of the mountains, specifically Grandfatther Mtn. Hope to get back soon and take advantage of the restaurant as I understand they have a new chef that has revamped the menu including my favorite, Trout Almondine.

• Liked — The views and the overalll atmosphere
  • Disliked — no TV in the Master Bedroom!
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
Piedmont area, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2008

After reading a number of reviews both on Trip Advisor and other sites I was a bit concerned when I learned our leadership team of just over 30 was heading up for a retreat at The Inn at Crestwood. I had worked at a very nice resort as the House Manager for four years in a previous career, so I was wondering how our trip would pan out.

I learned before arriving that Crestwood specialized predominantly in wedding and special event type of service, and had just very recently decided to look into conference meetings as an additional service to its guests. Now I knew we were going to have serious problems. Luckily my premonitions were quite wrong.

Arrival/Check-In: We arrived and immediately noticed the exterior of the property to be very well kept and nicely landscaped. A very nice gentleman with a broad smile offered a friendly greeting just outside the front door. The two ladies at the front desk were warm and friendly and explained every detail about the check-in process. I was given my key and a map of where the room was located along with easy verbal directions. Our group went through the check-in process like clockwork.

I asked many of the rest of the team and the overwhelming response was very positive for their check-in.

The Room: Our team booked every room on property but two, I believe. I was placed in a cottage close by the main house. It had five guest rooms on three levels. I was in one of the two guest rooms on the top level. The room had a king bed (a wee bit too soft for me, but comfy enough to sleep well) and was very simple and adequate in design. It had the normal amenities and my Wi-Fi connection was fine. The room was very clean and was set up with plenty of info on the resort and surrounding area. Only two very small things caught my eye: A flower/corsage pin was left on the window sill and construction/sanding dust was along the top of the shower insert (I’m tall enough to see it where most people wouldn’t be). Other than that the entertainment center and pictures were high dusted, there was no dust under the bed, and the comforter and linens were all clean and looked new. The bathroom was very clean (Gilchrist and Soames products) and spacious.

I asked many of the rest of the team and the overwhelming response was very positive for their rooms.

Spa: I did not use it. The first night a few folks wanted to use the spa but the staff could not locate a key to get in. After about an hour a few folks got in and worked out. I did not receive much feedback on the spa other than it looked nice.

The Food: Our first food experience was an evening buffet the night we arrived. It was delicious. The chicken was juicy and tender and tasted great. The steak selection was delicious and cooked just the way I liked it. The potatoes, vegetables, and bread were all perfect. The dessert was enjoyed by everyone. There were only a couple of minor hiccups with a couple of dishes running out, but we were a hungry crowd. I was actually surprised to see such large plates for a buffet. Normally the plates would be much smaller. The coffee service after supper was a tad slow and I think a group our size probably needed three servers rather than two. The plates were cleared a bit too slow.

I asked many of the rest of the team and the overwhelming response was very positive for the buffet. Most were 9’s out of 10 with a few 10’s, a couple of 8’s, a 7 and a 6. I gave it a 9.25. Very well done.

The next morning the continental breakfast was superb. We wanted a light, speedy breakfast so that people could enjoy it as they wanted to arrive between 7:00 AM and 9:00 AM. I came late but couldn’t tell most had already been through the line. There were pastries, several items for the toaster, cereals, fruit (I loved the yummy pineapple), and a number of juices, milk, and coffee. One big frown from me came from the jug of milk, which had soured. The pain for a milkoholic like me!

I asked many of the rest of the team and the overwhelming response was very positive for their continental breakfast.

The snack/break tables for the meetings were very well done. A number of snacks to choose from along with juices, water, and coffee. It kept us fueled for our meeting nicely.

The chef is new and I spoke with him a few moments. He is very excited about being there, is a fun and nice guy, and takes his food very seriously. He is young and up and coming. He even told me to call him “Chuck.” He did a fantastic job for us.

We hit the road on our last day and we were given delicious sandwiches in a box with an apple and a bag of chips. Nothing too exciting but the sandwiches were very, very good. Not just a piece of ham slapped on bread with mustard, mind you.

The Bar: Our group of 30+ kept the bar pretty busy. We had a different bar tender each of the two nights we were there. Both were friendly, worked like crazy to keep up with our orders, and served awesome drinks. They had a good specialty drink menu and had a huge selection of liquors. I’m really not sure how they kept up with our pace for a while there, but we had a blast. One last minute request (the day before) was for a karaoke machine, and they accommodated us quite easily. That really kept the party going.

The meeting: We met in a room in the main portion of the inn that sat our group just fine. Not much to say here other than the meeting went very well. (See snack/break in food section above) One big recommendation here is to acquire chairs more comfortable for a day long meeting. Sitting in the dining chairs was a bit rough.

One thing that could be changed is the availabilty of a staff member in the later hours. I tried to call the front desk from 11:50 PM to 12:20 AM and no one answered. A couple of others in our group had the same experience. If no one is there to answer then perhaps the phone should be forwarded to whatever staff is on the property while they are away from the desk. A machine advised to leave a message, but that won't do.

Summary: We really enjoyed our stay at Crestwood. The property and the views from it are absolutely fantastic. Earlier reviews have mentioned the rudeness or inattention of the staff as the biggest theme. We did not see that. I had the opportunity to speak with (maybe even “interview” or act in an “undercover” capacity to try them out) a number of staff from the housekeeper, to the wait staff, the chef, front desk attendants, and many others. I found a caring staff. I talked quite a bit with our sales coordinator. She is new to the property and has a nice background in the industry and will offer much to Crestwood. There are a large number of new staff members (many have come in the last few weeks) and I believe the culture here has been fine tuned. Not once did I see anything but warm, friendly service.

I also think it is important to note that we were among the very first of their “conference” business. They did a wonderful job with us overall. The “hiccups” were so minor that the bulk of the group did not notice them. And when we did mention the minor issues the staff was most eager to address and correct them promptly.

I can’t speak from the wedding/special event perspective but I could offer a word of encouragement for other businesses to consider Crestwood. They strike me as sincere in improving the quality and service they offer and have a good momentum going. We really had a nice time and I look forward to visiting with them again someday.

• Liked — The View, Friendly Staff
  • Disliked — The chairs for our meeting.
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to The Inn at Crestwood? Share your experiences!