“I feel like the queen of England!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 13 attractions in Boone
Type: Amusement/ Theme Parks
Attraction Details
Waxhaw, North Carolina
“I feel like the queen of England!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2013

I went to Foggy Mountain Gem Mine unsure if I would find any gems. To my surprise I ended up with several large rubies, golf ball sized garnets and many fabulous emeralds which will create a cocktail ring fit for a queen. The staff was most helpful as well. I had so much fun mining, and will have even more fun showing off all my new jewels. We bought the mother load bucket and got 6 large bags full of semi precious and precious gems, I am beyond excited and a big fan! I highly recommend this place!

Goldsboro, North Carolina
7 attraction reviews
“Stayed Open Late”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013

Thanks to the young staff, who upon a long day at work, allowed through the doors at their actual closing time to "work" the gem mine. They remained as pleasent as could be in their review of our daughter's gem finds as it was well after hours. That pleasentry makes me highly recommend their business over a competitive gem market in the local area. Well done!

Orlando, Florida
17 attraction reviews
“gem mine”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

great gem mine my son loved it he loves looking for gems and rocks also you can see the river running in the background and the old houses where the miners used to live

Visited July 2013
Raleigh, NC
“Great fun for kids”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

Although not our first time to Boone, this was our first visit to one of the area's gem "mines". We purchased the Big Daddy bucket for about $60 (after a coupon in one of the visitor's guide). This gave us enough for 4 people to sift through the bucket for about 30 - 40 minutes. The staff was very helpful in pointing out what to look for, although once the rocks are washed it is fairly easy to tell which to keep. Keep in mind that you will be getting slightly dirty (or wet) so wear appropriate clothing and shoes. Once we were finished sorting we particularly enjoyed one of the staff members grouping the rocks, explaining what each one was and showing an example of a polished stone. We did receive a free cabachon with our bucket, but this is only available for certain stones. For the more precious stones it costs between $30 - $50 to have the stone cut.

Overall it was worth the money for the entertainment value. I noticed that the bigger the bucket, the bigger the rocks, so keep that in mind.

Chattanooga, Tennessee
12 attraction reviews
“Good family fun”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

I just took our two grandsons to Foggy Mountain last week. Roll up your sleeves and prepare to dig into the size bucket of choice. The larger the bucket, the larger stones there are to be found. The High Country Visitors Guide does have a 10% discount coupon in the back.
Take the time after you are finished, to go the front counter inside the shop. Ask one of the employees to revue your stones with you and tell you what you have of value. They can also go through your bucket that you have discarded for any "left behind treasures"!