“A Gem Of A Find” 5 of 5 stars

Geneva, Florida
7 attraction reviews
“A Gem Of A Find”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

Our family has been vacationing in North Carolina for years and have been to numerous gem mines. By far, Foggy Mountain Gem Mine is the best!!! We took my two children and a friend to mine there. We bought the Extra large bucket that came with one free cut of a crystal type gem. We could not believe what the kids found! My daughter found three garnets that ranged in size from about a grape to a lemon. My son found a large ruby. We are getting that cut and the estimate is two carats. They found so many other large uncut gems.....too many to name. The staff at Foggy Mountain is very nice and knowledgeable. They explained everything the kids found and answered all of our questions. More importantly, the kids and their granddad had a blast and they will have beautiful souvenirs to remember the trip!

Visited July 2013

“Fun for little ones who love rocks!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013 via mobile

What a great activity for little ones (especially girls who like sparkly rocks) they all had fun! The staff was kind and knowledgeable. I can see where it may not be for everyone but we spent an hour and a half there and had a lot of fun. There is overhead cover in the event of rain.

Cary, North Carolina
6 attraction reviews
“A good experience in this area”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

The staff here is helpful and the onsite cutting allows for you to place orders with what you "mine". You'll receive a bucket sized for the price. A variety of gems are present. I must say, we were spoiled when visiting Chimney Rock village last year. The gems at Foggy Mountain are not as plentiful or as big. Still, mining at Foggy Mountain is a good experience and convenient for this area of the NC mountains.

Broomfield, Colorado
25 attraction reviews
“Not really worth it”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

For thirty dollars you get a bucket of sand, mixed with some standard while rocks and a few gems. You scoop the sand into a screen, put it in dirty water and look for the gems. My daughter who is 9 enjoyed it. My son who is 13 thought it was lame. They were busy so we never have anyone talk to us about what kind of gems we found. Looked like just one person can do that. Other employees were walking around, but no one approached us to ask if they could assist. We ended up just taking the gems in a baggy and figure we will find a polishing machine at home.

Visited June 2013
foggymountaingems, Manager at Foggy Mountain Gem Mine, responded to this review, July 10, 2013
Thank you for visiting us during the Fourth of July weekend, which is our peak weekend for business. I am a bit confused as to your statement that only one person can sort your stones when we staff four to five qualified sorters each and every day, and more during our peak holiday season. The other employees are responsible for setting you up, explaining the process, cleaning up your mess, looking through your scraps to find any stones you might have missed, and handling the cash register. There were certainly times where there was a small wait to have your stones looked at and sorted, and we were moving as efficiently as we could have. We are sorry that you did not have the patience to allow yourself the full experience of mining. Also, if you were to simply have addressed your concerns that our employees were "walking around" to one of us managers, we would certainly have rectified the situation. However, I can personally vouch that each and every one of my employees went above and beyond during this holiday season. We went without lunch breaks for 6 days, and stayed extra hours to accommodate the overflow. Also, when you was rocks in water, the water gets dirty. That is common knowledge. Maybe one day you and your daughter could return and enjoy the full experience. We do wish you the best and hope that your 13 year old son did not find every family vacation activity as "lame" as ours.
North Carolina
5 attraction reviews
“My kids loved gem mining here.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

I had not mined since I was a kid and thought the experience would be a waste of money. However, my kids loved it. The staff was friendly and patiently answered all my kids' questions. (They had a lot!) The many different gems found at Foggy Mountain are my kids' favorite souvenirs from our family vacation. They have spent hours sorting and researching since we returned home.