“Family Tubing Trip” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #5 of 17 Activities in Boone
Type: Tours, Adventure
More attraction details
Owner description: Welcome to High Mountain Expeditions. We are located in the heart of the Blue Ridge Mountains, with two locations to serve you in Boone and Banner Elk, North Carolina. High Mountain Expeditions offers outdoor activities, such as whitewater rafting, caving, and hiking for every member of your group or family.The team at High Mountain Expeditions invites you to join us in the beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains on one of our many outdoor adventures.
jkoldtown
8 attraction reviews
“Family Tubing Trip”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

We took a tubing trip with High Mountain Expeditions this past weekend. Had a skittish 9 year old with us so thought this was an easy way to get him used to water adventures. The guides were very friendly and patient - one thing I would say is I didn't know, maybe didn't read the site well enough, but didn't know that we tubed down the river by ourselves...it worked out just fine, tied our tubes together and he gave good instructions...just didn't realize that, thought the way they talked about tipping guides etc it was a guided tubing...but again it was our first time so maybe it's obvious to others. The vans were nice, the tubes were great, had a bottom on our son's and ours had backrests. Definitely recommend the cooler tube, was nice to have snacks/drinks and a place to put our keys. Overall great experience, except for the 2nd bridge, that we had to get out and walk around. Would go again, would use this company for rafting next summer. Oh! the bathrooms - no bathrooms or changing areas AT dropoff area...had to drive up the road to a public shelter - these were nice bathrooms, but not convenient. Come wearing your bathing suit, but then you have to drive up the street to the shelter bathrooms.

Durham, North Carolina
4 attraction reviews
“Overnight on the Nolichucky with Girl Scouts”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

Junior Girl Scout troop 3414 from Durham just finished the overnight rafting trip this weekend with Parker, Kelby and Alex as our guides. All 3 of them were fantastic with the girls. They worked hard to make sure the girls had a great time and that they were as safe as possible. I highly recommend this overnight trip, High Mountain Expedition and these guides in particular. What a blast - we will definitely do it again.

Mount Holly, North Carolina, United States
3 attraction reviews
“Great Time on the Nolichucky!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013

The wife & I had done a couple of prior white water excursion across the country...but based on the weather (rain had the river cranking) and the HME team....a new level has been reached. We had a great time! We went on a Monday, just after school started and we had the ONLY boat on the river! We never saw a sould after we launched. Made it really neat. The guide (Tyler) is borderline crazy which made for a fun day. The lunch was great, the staff was great....A++++ I'd recommend this outfitter to anyone without hesitation.

Rochester, NY
3 attraction reviews
“Awesome Time”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013

We went on an all day white water rafting trip with High Mountain Expeditions this week and it was awesome. We have been on other rafting trips in Colorado and Utah but this one was by far the best. Safety was the number one concern of our guides but having fun was second and they truly showed us a good time. Lunch was great. Everything was well coordinated from the time we started on the bus until we got off. Even when I called to make the reservation, they were very polite and accommodating. It truly was a wonderful day and my family and I did not want it to end. I would highly recommend this company for white water rafting.

Orlando, Florida
“OMG NOLICHUCKY RIVER ROCKS WITH ERIKA”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

We started off our adventure by booking white water rafting on Sunday, that gave my wife enough time to totally get herself SCARED STIFF. We arrived at HME early, staff was already there with bus loaded, ready and enthusiastic. Wife still stiff. A little over a hour ride to "put in" the spot where the rafts are launched into the river, we stopped at Hardee's to break up the ride. Coffee in hand we proceed to "put in" excitement building. Yep she's still STIFF or maybe getting STIFFER haha. At the launch site Erika, our guide, had her safety brief with us. My daughters where all giggles, 13-10-9+1 extremely Stiff wife, by this time with a slight rumbling sound of distant rapids she is now TERRIFIED. Loaded up, shoved off, and away we went. Just a short float down river, sounds of fast running water filter there way through the beautiful landscape to our ears. I check my girls making sure they are set and ready for the WILD NOLICHUCKY "can't wait daddy" was there reply, smiles covering there young faces. Wife at this point won't even look at me, the sound getting louder & louder with every second. No Turning Back greeted us with fast water, spray in your face and Erika guiding us safely through. Now we are coming up to a class 5 everyone focused on what there supposed to do, Erika barking out commands we slide on past, safe and secure. My girls now are laughing there heads off with excitement & thrill, the wife smiles. Now I knew she in for the ride of her life. Erika's skill at handling fast water is not unlike a surgeons scapel. After being in such accomplished hands the rest of the day was GREAT. Wife now laughing like a school girl with the other school girls, says to me, WE HAVE TO DO THIS AGAIN BEFOR WE LEAVE. needless to say we highly recommend High Mountain Expeditions and Erika.